[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite their best efforts to be off the grid, a lot of people are just not getting their message or understand their plans, hate to say this but I predict the race will not go ahead, there's just too much politico-social pressure building up and if it does go ahead, there's bound to be external "interference" on the day.

I hope I'm wrong... :blush:

Lets hope you are wrong

I already know people will shoot me down in flames now but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could think having the Cycle Tour is even a consideration. I don't care how you justify replacing the 2m litres odd that will be used, rather cancel but allow people to enter on a donation basis and use that money to pump the 2m litres into the system anyway.

I already know people will shoot me down in flames now but I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone could think having the Cycle Tour is even a consideration. I don't care how you justify replacing the 2m litres odd that will be used, rather cancel but allow people to enter on a donation basis and use that money to pump the 2m litres into the system anyway.

Not shooting you down, but I see it differently.

Cape Towns population of 5 million odd, will use 125 million litres every single day if we stick to the severe 25 litres per person per day. 2 million litres that the CTCT will bring in from elsewhere will then make really no difference if you look at the bigger picture, The 30/40/50 thousand extra visitors for 3 days will also make no difference to the eventual outcome.

But sending the signal that Cape Town is closed for business will mean a couple of hundred million Rand loss for city businesses, job losses......not good. Much better to make the right plans, prepare and show the world that Cape Town can DO IT! No matter what.

Not shooting you down, but I see it differently.

Cape Towns population of 5 million odd, will use 125 million litres every single day if we stick to the severe 25 litres per person per day. 2 million litres that the CTCT will bring in from elsewhere will then make really no difference if you look at the bigger picture, The 30/40/50 thousand extra visitors for 3 days will also make no difference to the eventual outcome.

But sending the signal that Cape Town is closed for business will mean a couple of hundred million Rand loss for city businesses, job losses......not good. Much better to make the right plans, prepare and show the world that Cape Town can DO IT! No matter what.

I hear what you're saying and in theory you're right but from what I understand majority people weren't sticking to 50l so how will they stick to 25l? I don't see it as a financial problem as much as it will be a health problem. Nobody knows the real repercussions because its never happened in a major city before and that's scary.

Anyway I hope day zero doesn't come but I still see people under the impression that its an idle threat or a government hoax, those people may well be in for a big surprise if they don't wake up.

Just my 50c anyway.

Despite their best efforts to be off the grid, a lot of people are just not getting their message or understand their plans, hate to say this but I predict the race will not go ahead, there's just too much politico-social pressure building up and if it does go ahead, there's bound to be external "interference" on the day.

I hope I'm wrong... :blush:

I have the same feeling, it doesn’t take much to get an idea into any of the leaders heads, political or not.

and then uncontainable uncontrollable protests

I hear what you're saying and in theory you're right but from what I understand majority people weren't sticking to 50l so how will they stick to 25l? I don't see it as a financial problem as much as it will be a health problem. Nobody knows the real repercussions because its never happened in a major city before and that's scary.

Anyway I hope day zero doesn't come but I still see people under the impression that its an idle threat or a government hoax, those people may well be in for a big surprise if they don't wake up.

Just my 50c anyway.

Those are the problem, in my opinion.

City of Cape Town is about 3.7million people. At 25L pp/d, that is something like 92.5million liters per day? IF everyone sticks to the limit.

The organisers' overestimated amount of water for participants and supporters, for 2.5 days is 2million liters. Or about 800000 per day.

With all the measures being put into place by the CTCT organizers, and with people driving down bringing down hopefully enough water for at least their drinking, the CTCT and its participants and supporters should have basically no impact on the water situation.

HOWEVER, if we shoo away all tourists (CTCT and otherwise), the jobs of around 300000 people are on the line (according to the numbers from the video). The water situation won't improve, but the ability of those people to afford bottled water, or transport to go fetch water, will go out the window.

To me (and fine, yes, I am biased, I want to ride), looking at the numbers makes me think cancelling the event will be far worse for the City than holding it.

BUT... the Facebook hysteria and misinformation might well see it cancelled.

If anything, public sentiment is going to be the highest risk for the organizers to manage. If these Facebook tannies are not reeled in quickly the CTCT will be canceled, against all logic, and it will not improve the water situation. Instead it will kickstart a mass drop of entrants for any future CTCT events.

This will be our mini-Brexit moment where majority sentiment Trump-ed logic. (see what I did there ;))

Its a difficult call really, I don't do all the Facebook and Twitter and stuff so I haven't read the arguments, but I think on a certain human level you cannot always argue something just on facts alone, you have to allow for natural human sentiment as well, its extremely important.

As a case in point on another thread shows, that as a fact, the informal settlements only use a small amount of the daily water supplied, however it angers people on an emotional level to see hose pipes running in the street and they want it stopped, not because its going to realistically change the levels, but because on an emotional level it irks them and they feel angered. 

This is a perfectly understandable response by the way, average people aren't dealing only in facts, they are not in court, they are however very much dealing with their human emotions to a known issue, and sometimes like now, those emotions "should" in my opinion be given due credit as well. 

I am not in a position to say wither the event should go ahead or not, but even though the impact on the water use may be small, people, it appears, are seeing it as "unnecessary" and possibly even having a negative impact, and very often people will stand up and fight for their beliefs,.........which is something I imagine the organisers would be keen to avoid.        

If it goes ahead I think there will need to be a massive media transmission explaining the planning, however, this must take into account all the emotional concerns as well as the factual ones, people want to know they have been heard and their sentiments have been considered, if they concentrate too much on just the facts, you will leave a lot of people frustrated and behind the curve, and that could possibly spell disaster.  

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Do the math sandro (I see it is time for Shebeen to post his water usage graph on Argus day again) - cancelling the CTCT is not going to extend Day Zero by even a few minutes. It would be purely a emotional & symbolic gesture. But a well meaning gesture that is going to hurt the city economically badly, if we are going to do gestures rather do something positive. 

And the reality is we don't need gestures&miracles, we need the middle classes in the suburbs to stick to their restrictions then we will be fine.

Edited by Skubarra

I’m sure the charities, many who are almost exclusively reliant on the CTCT will love the event to be cancelled, all for less than 0,5% of our DAILY usage. The people calling for the cancellation clearly do not understand how much water 580 million liters a day is compared to 2 million liters.

More than 50 million liters are unaccounted for daily through leakages and unmetered use.

Residential use is less than half of the 580 million liters a day. Who is using the other half?

There are many other “low hanging fruit” to go for before cancelling events.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

just spent the last two days in CT; the locals want the tour to go ahead, they want people to come, they want help and they want the business to show they are a going concern despite the best efforts of the politicians (on both sides) to cock things up.

Personally, I am going to drive down, with the rear and trailer full of water to be donated to animal charities as they can't help themselves and didn't get themselves in the current situation

just spent the last two days in CT; the locals want the tour to go ahead, they want people to come, they want help and they want the business to show they are a going concern despite the best efforts of the politicians (on both sides) to cock things up.

Personally, I am going to drive down, with the rear and trailer full of water to be donated to animal charities as they can't help themselves and didn't get themselves in the current situation

I like the 2nd part!