[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

I never thought this was gonna work to print the numbers at registration. It's obviously a huge cost saving method as well due to a lot of riders not being able to ride and not collecting their race numbers...

I just hope they sort this out quickly as there seems to be a lot of complaints year in and out regarding an awesome event.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently at expo. No lines whatsoever, took me under 5 minutes to get 2 race numbers printed. Seems everyone took the sms seriously.

Also, they've sorted out their issues for now. It's like clockwork

I never thought this was gonna work to print the numbers at registration. It's obviously a huge cost saving method as well due to a lot of riders not being able to ride and not collecting their race numbers...

I just hope they sort this out quickly as there seems to be a lot of complaints year in and out regarding an awesome event.

With all the doubles they I printing I doubt they are saving much at this stage

So by my calculations, if it takes a person roughly 1min from the front of the queue to print their number and collect their pack then :

1min x 35000 cyclists = 35000 min / 60 / 24 to get days .... 24.3 days!!!

So let's say they have 10 printers, that means 2.4 days of SOLID printing just to get all the numbers printed...

I think I may just print my own number at home and forget about the expo... Unfortunately we need the stupid starters card to get into our chutes.

the guts guysat Cycle Events told me they (CTCT) will have 50 printers, so work out your sums based on that... assuming they all work, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Frosty

the change in registration is not going well ... let's hope the change in the location of the start is going better  :wacko:

Currently at expo. No lines whatsoever, took me under 5 minutes to get 2 race numbers printed. Seems everyone took the sms seriously.

Also, they've sorted out their issues for now. It's like clockwork

Are you serious?  Not sending us all on a wild goose chase?  A picture of the number or it didn't happen... :whistling:

(Was planning to go after work but don't want to drive through from Stellenbosch in vain...)

the guts guysat Cycle Events told me they (CTCT) will have 50 printers, so work out your sums based on that... assuming they all work, of course.

Half a day of solid printing then, presuming they all work and the ink or paper doesn't run out or need replenishing.

Have not seen any discussion from MTB's as to : knobblies or slicks.

And are they going to clean their dirty shoes?

Biggest issue is to manage the Central DB of numbers. But ASA doing it now online for 6? years. We build the system those days and not touched it again. +- 120k users now and just works.

Think biggest issue is that the provinces/clubs have to manged the allocation of numbers so cyclist will need to join a club (like runners) before getting number

There should be two solutions:

1. Join a club (real or virtual) and get a permanent number;

2. Don’t join and drive to collect a temporary number from the race office.

The cost of membership and a permanent number should be less than the cost to collect a temporary number... incentive to register.

You’ve already stated that the runners have been working for 6 years, so it can work.

Doubt it - they'll never get their numbers printed in time...

Well at least they already have their numbers for the UCI. My daily commute home goes through the trails at Coetzenburg an there were plenty of them riding there yesterday with their numbers already on the bike. Had to bail on the rest of my ride home through there as the course was already taped off. 

My ou toppie is going to get our numbers tomorrow, so I am spared that schlep  :whistling:

Have not seen any discussion from MTB's as to : knobblies or slicks.

And are they going to clean their dirty shoes?

Or shave their hairy legs...

Probably the worst organized event I’ve ever come across. Pity really as it was such a well oiled machine about 10 years back. Nowadays everything they do is a f*ck up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I queued 1,5 hours for this goodie bag. ☹️

What's with the waterbottle cap?  A WMD perhaps?