[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

P.S. double check the expiry date on the Sensodyne toothpaste sample from your "goodie" bag. Mine expired in January.  :thumbdown:

Should be fine, used mine all this weekend and today.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

P.S. double check the expiry date on the Sensodyne toothpaste sample from your "goodie" bag. Mine expired in January. :thumbdown:

I usually dont even bother to go through the 'goodie bag'. From leaking bottles to 10 flyers and a packet of flu-gon (What am I supposed to do with that?), I just take my race numbers out and toss everything else aside.

But over all, a generally well organised race this year with perfect conditions.

RIP to those that have passed on.

I'm amazed at how quickly this event clears up. Went along the coast to work this morning and the only evidence I could see of a massive event taking place was 2 porta loos.

I know we tend to focus on the negative here. But this event is AMAZING. REALLY!!! Something to be proud of as South Africans.

2018: 3086/26554

2016: 3726/28881

2013: 4078/31666

2012: 5325/29841

2011: 3820/28702

2010: 2375/28035

I know the results aren't final, but out of the 6 cycle tours I have done, this year had the fewest finishers (and probably starters, considering the ideal conditions).

I wonder how big an impact last year's events had on people not entering, combined with the ongoing drought?

I am sure the success of yesterday will help return it to where it was!

Wanted: Odd socks to donate to the homeless.

We all have those lonely single socks lying around with an unmatched partner. Now they can come to good use! Looking to pair single socks to donate to the homeless. Based in Rondebosch, Cape Town. Can do collections too. Please please donate. Every sock makes a difference!

Wow, over a 1000 sub 3's. Weather must have been perfect.

A few random thoughts..

To those okes who always do a 3:05 or thereabouts - this was your big chance for a sub-3, we certainly won't have weather like this every year.

From where I was riding interesting to see (in general) 1C doing faster times than 1B doing faster times than 1A and all 3 groups bunching up after Smits - hare and hound effect? Think the group just go that little faster if there is a big target in sight. (Those groups also caught a lot of @ and & riders)

1A, 1B and 1C supposed to be riders with seeding indexes higher than 15 but there were quite a few familiar names there who are super strong riders - result of the new PPA seeding system where your seeding drop rapidly if you miss a few races?

There's a thread about what causes heart attacks in cyclists. Riding when you're feeling as bad as you did 3wings is one of those causes.......

I know - but having travelled 9000 kms to get here....  

And yes, of course, I could have gone home in a box

Which would have made the tens of thousands of Rand spent on the trip seem rather pointless.

So okay, I'll admit it was irresponsible, to myself, the people that would have had to clean up the mess and my two wonderful daughters back home.

I'm an idiot okay.

And I'm sorry.

Best cycle tour to date rode it as slow as we could soaked up the atmosphere. Had a loads of fun and tried to chat and help as many people along the way.

Finished on 7:22

Heres to hopefully many more CTCT.

RIP and condolences to all that lost their lives.

Best cycle tour to date rode it as slow as we could soaked up the atmosphere. Had a loads of fun and tried to chat and help as many people along the way.

Finished on 7:22

Heres to hopefully many more CTCT.

RIP and condolences to all that lost their lives.

post-36525-0-31726400-1520841659_thumb.jpeg

Had an awesome ride with my dad today. He suffered and cramped just before suikerbossie, but I got him over the line in 6h36m.

RIP to the 2 cyclists and the marshal. So sad.

My heart sank when we rode past the guy before smitswinkel and I saw them doing CPR.

A few complaints though.

The start needs some work, I’m sure they will probably do some revisions to it before next year. We started around a corner and then getting onto the highway we were at a standstill.

People not holding lines. Oh my word there were some real chops out there today. More than normal.

And then Mike, wearing a stay wider of the rider jersey. First when we were stopped on chappies, we were sitting on the wall, could not get any further left, yet he kaks is out for being in the road.

Then in the other side of suikerbossie, an entire 4 lanes to use, but comes up behind us, with us on the left lane and tells us to move left.

I wanted to have a word with him then decided to not spoil my time with me dad and just left him.

Otherwise awesome weather, awesome organization oh and awesome meeting Louis de Waal (cycle tour founder) and his son at the start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just on the line issue:

If someone behind you shouts for you to hold you line or whatever, ignore them. your are in front of them and they should make their way around you.

If you are behind someone, expect they are going to ride like a box and mange it. no point in shouting at them as you may give them a skrik and then all kinds of K@k could happen. Also if you are riding in the slower groups i.e. below A, the dude in front of you could suddenly cramp up and just fall over.

I have yet to hear hold you line in the racing groups. Yes a lot of swearing and pushing and shoving but that is all.

2018: 3086/26554

2016: 3726/28881

2013: 4078/31666

2012: 5325/29841

2011: 3820/28702

I know the results aren't final, but out of the 6 cycle tours I have done, this year had the fewest finishers (and probably starters, considering the ideal conditions).

I wonder how big an impact last year's events had on people not entering, combined with the ongoing drought?

A ton of people took a wait-and-see approach this year. Should be back to full house in 2019. If not, the Trust ought to be worried. Edited by hilton_

2018: 3086/26554
2016: 3726/28881
2013: 4078/31666
2012: 5325/29841
2011: 3820/28702

Was also curious about how many riders was stopped at the cut off spots, I mean they must be able to see how many riders crossed the starting mats

I saw on Strava flyby that at least one person did the 2nd lap without going through the proper start. 

This was a really bad idea... I know of 3 riders that went down a week early and caught that CT cold bug and decided to rather mis the race again. They are quite sick now and glad they opted out of yesterday.

When the news of the down cyclist came out they all lost all the FOMO they had and decided they made the right move.

There is also the problem of the expo.

You are supposed to avoid large crowds and crowded spaces right before a race as they are an easy way to pick something up. Except you end up being forced to attend the 'expo' whether or not you want to. 

I saw on Strava flyby that at least one person did the 2nd lap without going through the proper start. 

And skipping that extra payment by not passing begin.

Selling my Fizik as soon as I manage to get it out my arse!!

how much will you pay me to take it off your hands?