[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2018

Pure Savage

Same thing I told myself at the time.

I'll enjoy the views with my family from next year :thumbup:

Yeah, its a pretty freak accident though. 4 years ago I watch someone clip a con near the bottom of Hospital bend doing close to 70km/h he lost a bit of skin but was fine. 

Its probably safer doing the argus than it is driving to work.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have an update of the guys that crashed in Smits 1D group, really hope you guys are ok. Crazy fast decent....

i know one of the dude's that went down, was in hospital but was released with bad roasties but he'll live to tell the tale

Anyone have an update of the guys that crashed in Smits 1D group, really hope you guys are ok. Crazy fast decent....

Apart from that incident, 1D seemed like quite a good bunch. Okes were chilled, no shouting or swearing, and I felt rather safe.

I was a little annoyed at having to go around the crash (it's amazing how the "not my problem" gene kicks in when riding bikes and chasing other riders), but it did look pretty bad. The guys were in pieces. The medics running towards the accident from the water point 2kms seemed a bit inappropriate. A car, and preferably an ambulance would have been better suited.

On a side note - 1D was two minutes faster than 1A to the 51km mark. But we sucked on the climbs, so 1A made up 6 minutes on us over the second half of the race. (It's a sad day when I'm the one of the better climbers in the bunch).

HNVfJ9O0uSPqo1EAaQ1TxKQ7MjBrmMwOwCbrslu0

Me waiting for the bunch to catch me after Smits (just before the Oceanview turn)...

Edited by Velouria

How do you leave someone in front? The way that a working echelon / paceline operates is for the front rider to peal off, NEVER for anyone to come from the back to relieve him.

Sorry to pick on you, but lack of understanding on this minute but critical fact is why we so often struggle to get things organised in bigger bunches. Riders sitting in front for kilometers on end and complaining that nobody wants to work. If the front rider peals off then the rest can roll through and do some work.

Ask the okes in 1D - they seemed quite adept at leaving me on the front while pretending to not be there. It's amazing how skinny and quiet some guys can be when trying to hide on your back wheel.

It's much easier to just settle in and ride a tempo than hopelessly flap an arm and trust that someone will come through. After all - everyone is saving themselves for the "sprint" for 700th place!

136hly.jpg

For example, one guy with Nedbank "Development Trust" kit on did not know what half wheeling overlapping wheels was. He was  following wheels like Peter Sagan without a lead out train. When I tried to explain the dangers thereof to him, 3 other people in that bunch also commented that they had know idea of what half wheeling overlapping, keep the line etc meant. I asked them about hand signals for road dangers etc, and they had no idea.  And then the cherry, they never really ride in big bunches like this. 

WELL DONE !!

We need more of this! Everyone wants safer bunches, but no one wants to help make bunches safer. Because of you the "development trust kit" rider and 3 others now know how to ride safer.

You dont need to be a box and shout at people (like some bunches do), you just need to guide the newbies. And trust me, we all need it.

Once again.

WELL DONE !

........Me waiting for the bunch to catch me after Smits (just before the Oceanview turn)...

Did you go round 4 times? Just kidding. I know this was just a Little Day Out!  ;)

You have to assume that only 1/10 riders know how To ride in a group. The local road rides only get around 1000/3000 riders per event. So the other 28000 don’t ride in groups often, so watch out [emoji12]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks to Pure Savage my son was able to do a lot more road races late last year, and as a result his bunch riding improved tremendously. He is not as scared of bunch riding anymore as he used to be.

Really sad to hear bout the 3 deaths. Having been the victim of a numpty hitting a cat eye about 5 years ago coming into Misty Cliffs at speed and having to wait for over 5 hours to find a sweep vehicle which never arrived and then having to push my broken bike with fairly severe blood loss to the Soetwater water point where there was a proper medical tent, I really don't miss the riskiness of the race. But I am really jealous of the weather... I never made my 3hrs before I left ????

Did you go round 4 times? Just kidding. I know this was just a Little Day Out! ;)

Not an unreasonable question at all. Let's just say that we have tried to figure out a scheme to do it 3 times... [emoji6]

How do you leave someone in front? The way that a working echelon / paceline operates is for the front rider to peal off, NEVER for anyone to come from the back to relieve him.

Sorry to pick on you, but lack of understanding on this minute but critical fact is why we so often struggle to get things organised in bigger bunches. Riders sitting in front for kilometers on end and complaining that nobody wants to work. If the front rider peals off then the rest can roll through and do som

e work.

Yho, you don't race much do you? how do you leave someone on the front. Easy.

Step one, let him get to the front

Step two, leave him there

Step three, if he starts to move over follow him

Step four, if he slows slow with him

Step five, he will speed up as he needs to keep some for of pace.

Rinse repeat,

When he has had enough you jump past and drop him. Easy, that is the way you teach dingbats a lesson.

...just heard the guy who went into the marshal is a good friend of mine, i'm hoping its not, he apparently has a broken jaw, but that would be just small of what he has to endure for the rest of his life knowing someone has lost their life! :(

i've tried to contact to him, to no avail, sent my well wishes and hoping to meet him soon :( :(

Please share when you have some facts. that volunteer's life has to mean something other than being the afterthought posting as a newsbrief.

Please share when you have some facts. that volunteer's life has to mean something other than being the afterthought posting as a newsbrief.

I doubt it is an afterthought, it may be because there is some sort of police investigation as the report suggests

I doubt it is an afterthought, it may be because there is some sort of police investigation as the report suggests

Probably true.

Everybody's lawyers jumped in and said to say as little as possible because it is part of an enquiry, thus don't want to say something you might regret in future.

Condolences to the entire cycling family. This news is hard to hear even when we don't personally know any of the people involved.

I don't think it was meant maliciously, think it comes from he point that till about 10 this morning the fact of the volunteer's condition was acknowledge after all the reporting having been limited two the two riders.