MTB pedal choices

Rapunzel

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Time XC 8's .

Love them , especially the float , as I have a bad knee and the float allevites any knee issues for me .

+1  -  Love my Time's - I also have a dodgy knee, so they suit me perfectly!

I have said it before and I will say it again, 520s are the best bang for buck MTB part I have ever owned. They are indestructible, easy to service and cheap.

I have 520 that came with my bike. Bullet proof, but not as nice as the s track. My s track have done close to 20000km and no service or problems so far. I still use my 520's on my singlespeed bike.

Sorry for the slight hi-jack, but what is the float like on the s track pedals?  I moved away from Candy's back to 520's purely for the reason that the Candy's had a lot more float than the Shimano pedals

Whatever you do don't get M505s. I got a set thrown in for free with my new bike and they honestly weren't worth what I paid for them. 520s are good, XTs are amazing.

S-Tracks vs XT pedals:

What I like about the S-Tracks:

- lightweight

- the connection with the cleat is much better than Shimano pedals, when I pull up in the pedal stroke the XTs have vertical play which annoys the crap out of me, causing me to not pedal in proper circles

What I don`t like about S-Tracks:

- about 5mm thicker both sides than the XTs so 5mm higher center of gravity when the weight is on the pedals and less clearance over obstacles

- fragile compared to XTs

I think these are the 2 best options for pedals yet both are still not great and I don`t know which 1 to recommend, look at my vs points and decide what is more important for you.

Edited by Custode Di Pace

Nino uses Ritchey spd pedals, I think this is a better option than Shimano or Look but these are difficult to find.

Ritchey pedals aren't great.

If there is vertical play on your SPD's you need to check the tension or your cleats are worn....

Either way, the perfect pedal doesn't exist, but an XT is pretty close

Ritchey pedals aren't great.

If there is vertical play on your SPD's you need to check the tension or your cleats are worn....

Either way, the perfect pedal doesn't exist, but an XT is pretty close

I have increased the tension and the play is still there with new cleats. The connection between pedal and cleat is crap with Shimano pedals, this is more obvious when pedaling in circles like I think all cyclists should. This is actually a very bad drawback of Shimano/SPD pedals. People unknowingly adapt to pushing down more to reduce the vertical play.

I use Time XC 8's .

Love them , especially the float , as I have a bad knee and the float allevites any knee issues for me .

I have a goodish knee..... ???? and use Time mtb pedals on all my bikes road, TT and mtb

Only need one pair of shoes....