Trans Baviaans - A Newby's perspective.

BradGold

It all started with a phone call on the Tuesday before. Hey Brad, keen ride Baviaans, my partner is sick and can't make it? Having just taken part in a surfing comp the weekend before I saw all the bikes coming back thinking what an amazing experience they have just had. So without hesitation, I said I am keen not knowing what I was getting into. Corne and Heino from Rockhopper were amazing. Prepping my bike and mentally preparing me for what lay ahead. Friday came and the Rockhopper van arrived to pick me up and off we went. The entire drive to Willowmore was all about bikes, learning the technicalities as Heino waxed lyrical.

We arrived in the chilly town of Willowmore to register. This was a different race, the vibe was different. Nothing like a normal chest puffing racing vibe that you usually find. The air was filled with mutual respect and a hint of nervousness. After collecting our tub and loading our warm kit for check point 4, we were off home. Heino was amazing prepping my bike with such care as if it was his own. After some wine and braai vleis we were off to bed. I hardly slept, the anxiety and excitement was setting in. Just as I was starting to really get some good shut eye, the alarm goes off. Brekkie and off we went. 6 degrees.

We arrive in town and jump into our kit and head to he start. The vibe was insane. Bumping into so many brave souls that you know. After singing the national anthem the race began. The trick is to hold back at a pace which feels good but not too much that you can't make the first checkpoint. Again, the vibe was insane. Some amazing chirping and banter as we all faced the giant.

After about 85km Heino and I were both on a big dip. We rode in silence. Checkpoint 2, more amazing food then the two climbs known as the fangs started to scare the legs. Checkpoint 3... loading up as the long river crossing and MAC (Mother of all climbs) lay ahead. With 130km in the legs, this hill was no joke! The only relief was the amazing sunset we were experiencing glad to see the views in the day as we watched in the valley the string of lights for the poor buggers who would have to climb MAC in the dark. Check Point 4 was incredible knowing the dreaded climb was in the bag. Using Heino's (doing his 6th race) prep plan we changed into fresh kit and dressed warm for the Big Dipper decent. This stage we cruised arriving in Check Point 5 greeted by Milo and Slap Chip roles. I thought I was in heaven. Feeling broken, we sat by the fire and just soaked up the heat and he music. Off we went.

We approached the climb called 'Never Ender' - with 180km in the legs and a hill aptly named, we struggled to maintain our sense of humor. After what really felt like forever we came to the self checkin No6 and a few km's later checkpoint 7 for some more Milo and an amazing Jaffel. With 23 km to go, Heino was like a horse going back to the stable. He rode like he stole his bike.

The 23 km were not free, there was one more climb and then a long steady uphill singletrack that lay between us and the finish. Crossing the finish line was amazing. The toughest single day stage race in the world and it was conquered and the medal a cherished reminder. We had zero technicals and the choice of Lube (Smoove) proved a wining formula. The Cannondale Scapel SI really was a privilege to ride. The bike is reliable, light and strong and the lefty was the only thing that stopping me quitting when being attacked by the dreaded zinkplaat that plagued this years race.

A huge thank you to Heino and Corne from Rockhopper. You guys are amazing. I have never experienced such great service. Until next time. #Rockhopper #lefty #cannondale #smoove

• 9 months later...

Hi Brad

Would you mind expanding on Heino's prep plan? We are doing it for the first time this year and really just looking to make sure we don't over load the bike's and our backs.

Using Heino's (doing his 6th race) prep plan we changed into fresh kit and dressed warm for the Big Dipper decent.

I depends on your pace. If you are going to be over bergplaas before dark then you can travel lite.The real cold starts when the Sun goes down.

We always fit our lights on CP3 before bergplaas as its always crowded up there. Remember your second can then give you anything else at Pakhuis.

Also doing it for the first time this year. quick question, do you receive, pack and hand in the container for CP4 on friday during registration? 

then

do you receive, pack and hand in containers for CP1 , 2 and 3 before the start on Saturday? 

Thanks

Also doing it for the first time this year. quick question, do you receive, pack and hand in the container for CP4 on friday during registration? 

then

do you receive, pack and hand in containers for CP1 , 2 and 3 before the start on Saturday? 

Thanks

Hi, you receive all 3 containers at check-in on Friday. The container for CP4(top of Bergplaas) must be loaded on the truck by 09.00 Friday night. The other by 08.45/09.00 on Saturday morning.

I am more than willing to send my 'raceplan and info' to anyone, pm me your email. I know it helped a couple of teams last year.

We are more to the back of the pack riders and aim for a 14-16 hour finish although some have been 18 hours and even a 22 hour during 'Langsbviaans'....so probably won't help much for the snakes, for that you need to speak to Velouria (who have done all the TB's).

Hoping to finish my 10th & 11th this year.