Washing a mountain bike in Cape Town

lyslexic

Not sure if this has been asked before...

With the current water restrictions in the Cape, How do you guys clean / wash your mountain bikes?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

grey water, either from shower or washing machine!

i know WoodStock CycleWorks currently use gutter water into a jojo tank for bike washes

Thanks, I'll try the washing machine grey water thing. 

Thanks, I'll try the washing machine grey water thing. 

Disclaimer, some peeps will say that depending on what "cleaning products" you're using can cause damage to the frame, me personally i haven't had any issues over the last 5-6months

I rarely use water to clean my bike lately.

I mainly focus on my fork and drivetrain. I use a rag to wipe off my chain and afterwards re-lubing it. A separate rag dedicated only for cleaning the fork's stanchions.

If I want to clean my frame/degrease my drivetrain, I will get water from the water tanks.

And I use a water bottle to clean, so basically 500ml or 750ml.

Grey water and one of those plant sprayers. The sort you use to spray bugspray onto rose bushes.

Works very well. Like a mini high pressure hose.

This definitely works and even with no restrictions in Gauteng I still use it.

I think it takes 5L to fill and that is all you need for one bike...even when full of mud!!! I also use a soft bristled hand brush to get rid of dirt, helps in those hard to reach area's.

Just shower with it, then its acceptable. 

with de lille water we are supposed to use, and de lille time recommended for showering, not sure how its gonna work out for both of you. But at least the bike doesn't need eau de toilette ;)

Edited by Capricorn

with de lille water we are supposed to use, and de lille time recommended for showering, not sure how its gonna work out for both of you. But at least the bike doesn't need eau de toilette ;)

Turn on shower for 5 seconds and wet you and bike.

Turn off and lather up you and bike.

Then turn on shower for 8 seconds and rinse of you and bike.

With the water pressure at our spot, running a tap for 13 seconds = 15 liters of water. I tried it into a bucket just to check.

The tricky side is the Misses loosing her mind because you showering with your Pyga

Edited by Baracuda

cleaned worst parts on bike and a very disgustingly dirty drive train this weekend with around 3l of water ..... sorry, rain water :)

we "harvest" rain water (when it bloody rains) in 5l bottles, buckets, troughs and the bath .... this water is used to flush the toilets and for odds and ends such as cleaning the worst off the bikes .... last time it rained the wife washed the car in the rain .... wish I was there to see this :P

If people are using greywater etc, I'm gonna assume borehole/ well point is OK depending on the iron content of the water?