Washing a mountain bike in Cape Town

lyslexic

More like it...

Newlands and Constantia too

see one every other day up here

do you guys make a fuss about this to the owner or report the matter....can't let this slip.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn on shower for 5 seconds and wet you and bike.

Turn off and lather up you and bike.

Then turn on shower for 8 seconds and rinse of you and bike.

With the water pressure at our spot, running a tap for 13 seconds = 15 liters of water. I tried it into a bucket just to check.

The tricky side is the Misses loosing her mind because you showering with your Pyga

Good plan, except, how do you get the water warm enough in 5 seconds?

I actually put the bike the bathtub yesterday and used the water that comes out while waiting for it to warm up,  hence the thread to see how everyone else washes their bikes. 

do you guys make a fuss about this to the owner or report the matter....can't let this slip.

report a robbery in cpt - it may take the cops an hour to a week to turn up (if they turn up)

report a hosepipe offence -if anyone who does care turns up -the driveway will be long dry by then

I just ride my bike :thumbup:  Im not batman

Good plan, except, how do you get the water warm enough in 5 seconds?

I actually put the bike the bathtub yesterday and used the water that comes out while waiting for it to warm up,  hence the thread to see how everyone else washes their bikes. 

Did you not know that COCT urged people to not wait for water to get warm before getting in the shower? I still want to see a woman get into that 1st stream of cold water of the shower during winter - my shower water takes like 3 mins to warm up.

Edited by Serious Panda

Did you not know that COCT urged people to not wait for water to get warm before getting in the shower? I still want to see a woman get into that 1st stream of cold water of the shower during winter - my shower water takes like 3 mins to warm up.

bucket in the shower saves this, catch all the clean/cold water until the water warm, i catch about 1 litre, my house is smallish so from geyser to shower aint that far. but in some cases you could catch a lot of clean(ish) water

Not sure if this has been asked before...

With the current water restrictions in the Cape, How do you guys clean / wash your mountain bikes?

Gooi it in the dam or river stream for a few seconds if you can find one. Gets most of the mud and dust off.

report a robbery in cpt - it may take the cops an hour to a week to turn up (if they turn up)

report a hosepipe offence -if anyone who does care turns up -the driveway will be long dry by then

I just ride my bike :thumbup:  Im not batman

No joke, we've had several police cars rock up in the neighbourhood to 'chat' to people who've been watering or washing cars and to check the large number of 'borehole water' signs that have gone up are actually true. 

Personally I just wash all my bikes at 3am next to my car so reducing the wear and tear on my hosepipe. 

Gooi it in the dam or river stream for a few seconds if you can find one. Gets most of the mud and dust off.

Now, Moridin...

you should know by now there are no more dams or river streams in Cape Town.  :ph34r: 

Rain water tank was one of the best investments I made  :thumbup:

Bike on rack -

post-110956-0-31565000-1504539493_thumb.jpg

Nice fresh Meerendal mud -

post-110956-0-37883600-1504539570_thumb.jpg

Wheels off, chain-stay, and time to clean the chain -

post-110956-0-94958100-1504539546_thumb.jpg

rain water tank + pump + 6-function spray head = one clean bike

post-110956-0-74910900-1504539630_thumb.jpg

I heard my mate chatting about how it was one of his 'great' experiences to experience a box wine on his bike. Bought 2 5l dry whites and used it to clean mine. Turns out he was just being ironic while referring to some oke moaning on the single track. #fail

Back to the topic of bike washing, I bought myself a 2L Garden Master pressurized sprayer bottle from Builders Warehouse the other day which I now use for my washing, and I fill it up twice for a wash. I use the first bottle of soapy water to get the muddy bits all nice and saturated before going over the whole bike with a cleaning brush, then use the second bottle to rinse it down and finally use a workshop blower to dry it.

All of this water is harvested from a tub we keep in the shower, meaning it catches all of our shower water. I'm not convinced that between my shampoo and shower gel there is any chemical that could do anything to my bike over and above that done by the mild soap I use to wash it anyway, especially since this washing routine is followed by a little lubricated...er... I mean lubrication love :)

YOU GUYS WASH YOUR MOUNTAINBIKES !!??  :(  :unsure:  ;) 

A dirty Mtb is like a badge of honor and shows how badass you are, especially if it's full of mud.

I just keep my drivetrain clean, and lubed. No water needed for that, just a brush to remove the dirt and gunk, and a cloth to wipe it off. A fresh dab of lube on the chain, some Brunox on the fork, and away you go.