Titan Calypso Sport v Merida Big 9 20

Lou Boltmann

Hi there,

I am looking for a bit of advice. I am just starting to get into triathlon and am looking to buy a bike. I will mostly use the bike off road (not hectic mountain biking though) but will need the option to put slicks on for road races and am ultimately looking to do a half ironman next May. I am not in a position to buy a road bike and a mountain bike or spend a lot of money unfortunately so have decided to just look at mountain bikes.

So far I have come up with 2 options...a new titan calypso sport or a 2nd hand but barely used Merida Big 9 20. Would would your advice be for me. Please help as I really have no idea. Both are around R 7500. Oh and I a very short 155cm female. Thank you lots.

Merida without a doubt, if it's in the barely used condition and the correct size and assuming it's specs are standard.

Personally I wouldn't do a Half Ironman on a mtb. The amount of energy spent riding an Mtb vs a road bike is massive esp if you are looking at a super heavy bike like the Titan.

If if I were in your shoes I would go for a cheaper second hand mtb and a cheap road bike. They are obtainable.

Agree with the above, and also bear in mind that Titan's Calypso range are offered and specced towards women riders, with specific frames and geometry to suit. They also have very basic components.

Agreed on rather buying a road bike for your triathlon aspirations. You could quite possibly rather buy a road bike for R3000+ (typically a Raleigh RC3000 or similar) it will be cheaper and suit your goal much better.  

Then follow the N+1 formula and buy a Titan calypso to enjoy the offroad trails. My wife loved her Calypso until I decided to upgrade her bike and then she disliked me. The fact that you are short as you say is also a big factor.

The titan has a lower bb height and ladies specific frame design which makes for a easier ride and due to being closer to the ground to get on and off.

This lower bb allows you to get proper leg extension without having to be jacked up off the ground.

The components on the 2 bikes will more than likely be the same as the Big 9 20 is also an entry level bike and probably the same weight as the titan. Before selling my wife's calypso it was under 11kg with all the upgrades. So I doubt the frames are that much heavier than the merida's.

So if you are still getting the MTB and not rather getting a road bike I suggest:

1. Go ride both the bikes you have selected paying attention to how comfortable you feel on the bike. (note that saddles and pedals and grips etc. are easy swop outs and fairly inexpensive)

2. Go ride both the bikes you have selected paying attention to how confident you feel on the bike. This will dictate whether you have a scary or fun experience and almost as important as comfort.

3. get a road bike for road events - it really makes that much difference.

Good luck!

Edited by s14phoenix