Gear ratios ? 29 er wheels

tunariaan

For what its worth I'm currently running a 30T nw with an 18T cog. I was on a 17 before but I'm a bit out of shape. So yeah I'm slow on flats and boring stuff but no one I ride with can touch me on sweeping single track and downhills where momentum is what matters more than pedaling. Single speed teaches you to use every bit of speed the trail gives you for speed. Learning to stay off the brakes in turns and small dips and such is one of the key skills single speed teaches you. Honestly I don't think 30X18 will be an issue.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So for some or other reason simplifying my current bike is appealing to me more and more. Saw that SS conversion kits are pretty cheap, and my Stache has horizontal dropouts built for SS, so I was about to get a kit from Rapide until I realised that I have one of those newfangled XD drivers now.

Any advice on how to go about converting to SS? I have the stock Trek hubs the bike came with, so I'm not sure if I can change the freehub to a Shimano type, or how much that would even cost. Any advice?

https://problemsolversbike.com/products/drivetrain/zinger_-_k5145

Except I have no idea how you get it here. Maybe someone else here knows.

Thanks for the info so far. Very helpful.

I will start with the 30t NW. Will try both 16t and 18t cogs.

16t when I know it will be flatter, and 18t when I know there are some climbing to be done.

Now to get everything together and get the bike built !

So for some or other reason simplifying my current bike is appealing to me more and more. Saw that SS conversion kits are pretty cheap, and my Stache has horizontal dropouts built for SS, so I was about to get a kit from Rapide until I realised that I have one of those newfangled XD drivers now.

Any advice on how to go about converting to SS? I have the stock Trek hubs the bike came with, so I'm not sure if I can change the freehub to a Shimano type, or how much that would even cost. Any advice?

Tyron, I'm certain you can get a Shimano freebody for those hubs without breaking the bank.

I always wanted to get a Stache so I could test it out SS. Otherwise buy a cheap boost rear wheel and see if you like it. If you do then invest in a freebody, otherwise just sell the wheel on?

I've never used a NW blade in all my years of owning SS's anf never had a chain fall off.

I even use rear sprockets off old cassettes to get the ratio I need and loads of spacers from the same to space out on a normal freehub. Even more useful to get a 'magic gear' on a non SS frame although I've given up on that malarkey [emoji12]

I guess single speed can be as simple or as complicated as you feel like making it ...