Going 1x10

Maknash

Hi Hubbers

Sorry if this is not the correct place to be posting.

I currently have a 3x10 groupset on my bike, I want to change it to a 1x10 setup using the existing cassette, the problem is I haven't got a RD with a clutch, has anyone done this conversion by just adding a N/W chainring without the clutch RD? 

I'm worried that the chain will keep coming off.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Hubbers

Sorry if this is not the correct place to be posting.

I currently have a 3x10 groupset on my bike, I want to change it to a 1x10 setup using the existing cassette, the problem is I haven't got a RD with a clutch, has anyone done this conversion by just adding a N/W chainring without the clutch RD? 

I'm worried that the chain will keep coming off.

Just get your chain length right and use a proper NW ring. No issues.

Just get your chain length right and use a proper NW ring. No issues.

^^^ This as well as a chain catcher thingymajig will help in lieu of a clutch rear mech

Hi Maknash

I recently converted my 3x10 to a 1x 10 setup, using a rapide 30t Narrow/Wide chainring with a new 11-42t Shimano cassette and a non clutch Deore XT derailer.

So far not one dropped chain.

Converted mine to 1 x 10 with nw ring and standard cassette at back with non clutch xt and wife's non clutch slx bike. Rode like that for 6 months, converted rear xt cassettes with kalbo 42 expanders and rode like that for another year. Probably dropped a chain 3 times in a year and half. Thats riding in rocky karoo. Did not come off riding the attakawas!! :thumbup:

Thanks so much for all reply's I really appreciate it. Will hopefully be doing the conversion on Saturday. 

Converted mine to 1 x 10 with nw ring and standard cassette at back with non clutch xt and wife's non clutch slx bike. Rode like that for 6 months, converted rear xt cassettes with kalbo 42 expanders and rode like that for another year. Probably dropped a chain 3 times in a year and half. Thats riding in rocky karoo. Did not come off riding the attakawas!! :thumbup:

Thanks for the info I have a XT RD on the bike at the moment glad to hear it works.

Hi Maknash

I recently converted my 3x10 to a 1x 10 setup, using a rapide 30t Narrow/Wide chainring with a new 11-42t Shimano cassette and a non clutch Deore XT derailer.

So far not one dropped chain.

Thanks Peron, I have just ordered the Rapide 30t N/W this morning stoked to hear it does work and people are happy with it

Just make sure your RD is long cage.. I fell short with out the long cage and then also check it can do the extended range as required by the 42t..

Thanks Peron, I have just ordered the Rapide 30t N/W this morning stoked to hear it does work and people are happy with it

Maknash, try get your hands on a CSixx chainguide (little need for a NW then, so can use a DH ring), otherwise an even smaller guide called a Chaintamer - this zip ties to your chain stay

Excellent choice on the chainring. I am using the same one, you'll love it!  :thumbup:

Thanks for all the help guys did the conversion on Saturday loving the simplicity of it now just to get out and have a proper ride and see if it all works and how the legs react 

I have done the 1x10 (32t chainring and 11-40 replaced 15+17 with 16 and added 40 on my previous bike) but I want to do it again on my other bike but only 32t chainring and keep rear as is, 11-36. Anyone else who is running the same setup and what is your experience/feelings regarding this setup?

Hou die rubber op die grond!

Edited by BSG

I have done the 1x10 (32t chainring and 11-40 replaced 15+17 with 16 and added 40 on my previous bike) but I want to do it again on my other bike but only 32t chainring and keep rear as is, 11-36. Anyone else who is running the same setup and what is your experience/feelings regarding this setup?

If you have decent fitness and power ( power to weight ) you'll still be able to get up some gnarly stuff , I'm not saying you have to be A super human but you can't be noob either.

It's very nice to have that bail out gear tho 

If you have decent fitness and power ( power to weight ) you'll still be able to get up some gnarly stuff , I'm not saying you have to be A super human but you can't be noob either.

It's very nice to have that bail out gear tho

Yes I'm rather going to get the 16 and 40t as well and ride it with the 32 upfront first then decide. But I'll most probably fit the other 2 as well. Thanks for the input.