2018 Trek Fuel EX

Christofison

Since there is no fan page for the '17/18 Fuel EX, I though I would get one started. I'm saving up for the 2018 Fuel EX 8 - GX Eagle build and would appreciate everyone's opinions. Does anyone have one yet? The first shipment landed in SA two weeks ago.

post-59129-0-00196200-1504856166_thumb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyOvxvbP300

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-8-29/p/2140690-2018/?colorCode=grey

Edited by Christofison

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I've read/seen, it appears to be a very well sorted trail bike. Good geo and nice spec. Not anything to really complain about. Seems to be a great all-rounder. 

From what I've read/seen, it appears to be a very well sorted trail bike. Good geo and nice spec. Not anything to really complain about. Seems to be a great all-rounder. 

Dont sound so enthused 

It matches the bike. 

That Trek is like a Golf 2.0 TDi. Great car, can do it all, competent in all respects, but doesn't really give you that fizz around the root of your gentleman's sausage (nicked that line from TG). 

Someone private messaged me asking my opinion on this bike and I said more or less the same thing. Its a textbook example of a good all round bike which ticks all the right boxes. 

It will do everything you want really well but it won't be the best at anything. Its a sensible choice. Not a passionate one.

Someone private messaged me asking my opinion on this bike and I said more or less the same thing. Its a textbook example of a good all round bike which ticks all the right boxes. 

It will do everything you want really well but it won't be the best at anything. Its a sensible choice. Not a passionate one.

I think you said it pretty perfectly. So in summary, it will be one of the best at being an all-rounder?

It's hard to compare it to anything though because it seems more agressive than a Tallboy, Camber, Spark, Smuggler but not as agressive as a Hightower, Stumpy, Genius, Jeffsy. Maybe closest to the older BMC Speedfox?

what would be a passionate one?

I guess I'm so amped for this bike because it will be so much more capable than my 2016 Giant Anthem X when things get rough, but still be comfortable on long group rides or in an XC race.

From 100mm travel to 130mm

71°HA to 67°

100/142 hub spacing to Boost

21poe freehub to 54 points

19mm wide rims to 29mm

2x10 drivetrain to 1x12

125mm externally routed dropper to 150mm internal

Rear brake hose also internal now

31.8x730mm bar to 35x750mm

It sure gives me that fizz at the root of my gentleman's sossage.

Edited by Christofison

Its a nice bike!! Treks are highly underrated.

Have your ridden it? 

I would buy one in all honesty, but for more or less the same money there are other choices too.I think the Santa Cruz 5010 is about the same price.

Transition Scout, smuggler

Banshee Prime

Edited by Eddy Gordo

The bike is not passionate, the owner is...

And there's loads of passion for the Fuel Ex... check for example the 2017 Fuel Ex thread on the Mtbr forum.

Can someone please explain the "it's perfect in every aspect, so it must be sh!t" argument??

Its a nice bike!! Treks are highly underrated.

Have your ridden it?

I would buy one in all honesty, but for more or less the same money there are other choices too.I think the Santa Cruz 5010 is about the same price.

Transition Scout, smuggler

Banshee Prime

I haven't ridden it. I'm looking for a 29er.

The alloy Tallboy 3 is R10k more, and it has 20mm less travel, 7mm narrower rims and only NX 11 speed instead of GX 12 speed.

The Smuggler looks like such a sick bike, but I haven't compared specs vs price because no one around here sells Tranny's.

If I were out buying a bike now, this would be the one I would get.

My Camber is nice, but the Fuel EX would certainly make me fizz

Thanks Splat. I would consider a Camber if I could afford a Carbon frame and had money to do a full custom build. I hate how Spez specs their bikes, mixing Fox and RS and SRAM and shimano all in one bike. That SWAT door is such a good idea though, I wish other bikes could implement that. Also the Camber didn't go boost this year which is a bit lame. Edited by Christofison

If I were out buying a bike now, this would be the one I would get.

My Camber is nice, but the Fuel EX would certainly make me fizz

I actually just did this ...traded my 2016 Camber comp for a 2017 Fuel Ex8. Both are awesome. But like you say, the Trek makes me fizz!