2018 Trek Fuel EX

Christofison

My Bike is also creaking a lot , then i lube it stops but the creaks come back, its flippin driving me insane

Check the interface where the shock mounts onto the lower swingarm, the paint on the inside could be the cause as the shock is tightening onto the paint and not getting tight enough - make sense? gently sand the paint off the inside so there is bare alu and remount the shock - I did this and it solved the issues.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had some intense creaks coming from the lower main pivot. Nothing a quick clean and lube couldn't solve.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Took my Bike in for the creaking.  Apparently the pivots needed to be lubed .  

• 1 month later...

I have the EX 8, 2017 model. Such an easy to ride, all-rounder. what a pleasure to ride! Especially after the SRAM 1 - 11 speed upgrade  - I am really keen to get the latest one though, once I have relocated.. 

I am selling my Fuel EX 8 29 on Bikehub if anyone is interested (because I'm moving overseas)
https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/319615-trek-fuel-ex-8-29/

Since there is no fan page for the '17/18 Fuel EX, I though I would get one started. I'm saving up for the 2018 Fuel EX 8 - GX Eagle build and would appreciate everyone's opinions. Does anyone have one yet? The first shipment landed in SA two weeks ago.

attachicon.gif2140690_2018_A_2_Fuel_EX_8_29_EAG.jpg

https://www.trekbikes.com/za/en_ZA/bikes/mountain-bikes/trail-mountain-bikes/fuel-ex/fuel-ex-8-29/p/2140690-2018/?colorCode=grey

• 1 month later...

Took my Bike in for the creaking. Apparently the pivots needed to be lubed .

Seems like it happens with a lot of these treks. Wife's one is also constantly creaking. Doubt I will buy a trek again though. Solid bikes, but not really inspiring.

My TREK Fuel EX 5 is in the market ..... :thumbup:

Turns out I am too tall for the 17,5 frame ...  :eek:   :wacko:   "Bit" disappointed, to say the least....  The EX5 is still on its first set of tires !!! One year old in MINT condition.  Gearing upgraded to SRAM Eagle GX by Louise at Knipe_Racing, who also serviced the bike.

It is in the classifieds for an absolute steel !!  Jaco Sadie is taking care of the sale for me - https://www.bikehub.co.za/user/80161-jaco-sadie/

(rather not say too much about the TREK dealer trying to sell me yet another 17,5 frame ..  :cursing:​ )

The 17,5 frame is suitable for people up to about 1,72m

bought a Scott SPARK 940  :clap:   

My TREK Fuel EX 5 is in the market ..... :thumbup:

Turns out I am too tall for the 17,5 frame ... :eek: :wacko: "Bit" disappointed, to say the least.... The EX5 is still on its first set of tires !!! One year old in MINT condition. Gearing upgraded to SRAM Eagle GX by Louise at Knipe_Racing, who also serviced the bike.

It is in the classifieds for an absolute steel !! Jaco Sadie is taking care of the sale for me - https://www.bikehub.co.za/user/80161-jaco-sadie/

(rather not say too much about the TREK dealer trying to sell me yet another 17,5 frame .. :cursing:​ )

The 17,5 frame is suitable for people up to about 1,72m

bought a Scott SPARK 940 :clap:

I'm 1.66 and would fit on A 17.5. Lbs should be shot if you're in the next bracket re frame size

I'm 1.66 and would fit on A 17.5. Lbs should be shot if you're in the next bracket re frame size

... uhm JA .... :cursing:

Worst part was when they tried it the second time round ...

PITY - as I LOVE the TREK !!!  :thumbup:

... uhm JA .... :cursing:

Worst part was when they tried it the second time round ...

PITY - as I LOVE the TREK !!!  :thumbup:

is it Best Bike?

Seems like it happens with a lot of these treks. Wife's one is also constantly creaking. Doubt I will buy a trek again though. Solid bikes, but not really inspiring.

After i lubed the pivots the bike has been running great.  Apparently when these frames leave the factory a lot of them get assembled without lube.  So whomeever sold you the bike should lube all the pivots for you so this doesnt happen.

Once i sorted it out i have been thrashing this bike hard and no issues since.  The ex is an incredible machine

After i lubed the pivots the bike has been running great.  Apparently when these frames leave the factory a lot of them get assembled without lube.  So whomeever sold you the bike should lube all the pivots for you so this doesnt happen.

Once i sorted it out i have been thrashing this bike hard and no issues since.  The ex is an incredible machine

That it IS !!  :thumbup:   :clap:

Had a few moments where my ambition exceeded my skills level .... to realise mid turn I am in a "tight spot" ..... lean that EX5 into the bend, and it soaks up the trails and got me safely out the other side each and every time !!  :thumbup:

IF my LBS had my size frame in an EX5 I may well have replaced one EX5 with another EX5 ...  :whistling:   :clap:

Having upgraded the rims and gearing on my EX5, the next owner is in for the ride of his life !!!!  :w00t:   :clap:

SRAM Eagle GX upgrade done 28 February this year -

post-110956-0-28780400-1537631164_thumb.jpg

At the same time we replaced the rims -

post-110956-0-73892700-1537631240_thumb.jpg

post-110956-0-95101600-1537631321_thumb.jpg

That was almost R16k of upgrades ....  Thus an absolute steel for the next owner.