How forked is your fork?

Tankman

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be very careful when making a comment of option sound like a blanket statement of fact for such products. There is nothing wrong with an application of external fork lube if used correctly. I agree that given certain conditions (used on a fork that has not been cleaned of dirt/dust), an external lube could cause issues...in exactly the same way that lube can cause issues with a chain and attract more dirt.

Use any lube in moderation and only when the area of application is clean and dry.

It would be interesting to see if there was any evidence that turning a bicycle upside down allowed the oil to soak the foam rings and displace external contamination?

I dont see any of the manufacturers recommending the use of external fork lube...

You want to use it and recommend it to your buddies, great, more work for me, thank you.

Gravity will provide all the evidence you need that when you turn the bike upside down, the oil in the lowers will soak the foamrings again ... absolutely n.o.w.h.e.r.e did I state that this action will displace external contamination.

I dont see any of the manufacturers recommending the use of external fork lube...

You want to use it and recommend it to your buddies, great, more work for me, thank you.

Gravity will provide all the evidence you need that when you turn the bike upside down, the oil in the lowers will soak the foamrings again ... absolutely n.o.w.h.e.r.e did I state that this action will displace external contamination.

Brunox Deo was developed with and is recommended by Rock Shox.

"Gravity will provide all the evidence..." again a statement of opinion and not fact.

It would be interesting to see if there was any evidence that turning a bicycle upside down allowed the oil to soak the foam rings and displace external contamination?

It rehydrates the foam rings which assist in lubricating the stanchions. Not so sure it'll remove any muck that's in there already though.

As for stanchion lube, I use pure silicone oil, and I clean and lube my stanchions after every ride. But I wipe them dry before the next ride. I have ZERO wear after 4 years and the rings and seals that came out of the fork during rebuild were spotless. So there's definitely some benefit to a properly used stanchion lube.

Edited by GrahamS2

I also use Brunox after I've cleaned my bike. I'll post some pics on the condition of my seals after I've completed the service. 

This thread has prompted me to get around to a lowers service of my Lyrik. 

Just thought you guys would want to know. 

my life is now complete...

I always use Brunox (or equivalent) after every ride. If you spray it on stanchions and just compress the suspension you will see just how much grime it pulls out of the seals. I then wipe off all of the excess to avoid it attracting dust. 

I've never damaged suspension by doing that, and my seals look pretty good when I replace them...

I always use Brunox (or equivalent) after every ride. If you spray it on stanchions and just compress the suspension you will see just how much grime it pulls out of the seals. I then wipe off all of the excess to avoid it attracting dust. 

I've never damaged suspension by doing that, and my seals look pretty good when I replace them...

I read somewhere that its not dirt from the seals but dirt from the actual stanchions?

Regardless, I use a finger dipped in some 10w oil and smear it around the stanchion, pump the fork a bit and just wipe off what is left....also works well....

I read somewhere that its not dirt from the seals but dirt from the actual stanchions?

Regardless, I use a finger dipped in some 10w oil and smear it around the stanchion, pump the fork a bit and just wipe off what is left....also works well....

I only spray it on the stanchions after I have washed the bike, so cannot be dirt from stanchions. Either way, I have found Brunox to be pretty effective in removing dust and keeping my seals clean.

I only spray it on the stanchions after I have washed the bike, so cannot be dirt from stanchions. Either way, I have found Brunox to be pretty effective in removing dust and keeping my seals clean.

No ways does it pull dirt out from under the seals. If it does, it means your seals are beyond finished. All it's doing is pulling dirt out of the surface of the stanchions.

Lubing stanchions from the outside isn't bad idea IMO - just don't make the mistake of thinking it'll replace a service or extend intervals between services.

Or do, it's more work for people like me  :thumbup:

what's your take on that mr min* stuff you get to spray on your stanchions that "lube" your dust wipers 

* brunox - I just say mr min 'cause it smells the same

I used it a bit after a lower service i did on my Manitou. (which takes 15min whe I do it, BTW)

I keep my stanchions super-clean between rides and I found, based on performance, I needed to do the lower service again much sooner than normal. That Brunox really gunked up the foam rings. Needless to say I've stopped using it.

No ways does it pull dirt out from under the seals. If it does, it means your seals are beyond finished. All it's doing is pulling dirt out of the surface of the stanchions.

Lubing stanchions from the outside isn't bad idea IMO - just don't make the mistake of thinking it'll replace a service or extend intervals between services.

Or do, it's more work for people like me  :thumbup:

I may have chosen my wording wrong - I don't suggest it pulls the dirt from under the seals. It pulls all the dirt that accumulates at the base of the stanchions that a simple wipe or hosing down does not reach. I am a big advocate for keeping your drivetrain and suspension as clean as possible, and brunox just allows me to get it cleaner that I would have with a simple wipe down or wash.

I also never let my suspension go past intervals, I love suspension that is buttery and smooth  :clap:

Edited by Grease_Monkey