SA enduro races: what are the numbers?

Nuffy

Can anyone give me an idea of typical (if such a thing exists) SA enduro race stats?

Total distance?

Total climbing / descending?

Average stage distance and drop?

Longest and shortest stage distance and drop?

Total combined stage distance?

Number of stages?

Average time spent on stages and total in the saddle?

What about some of the easier or harder ones?

Would it be normal to have some portage / hike-a-bike in there, or does that only happen with hard ones like Ezel?

I realise there’s probably a lot of variation, and the numbers can mean different things depending on the terrain.

I’ve never raced an enduro, but I’m keen to try and organise a few here in Zim. I’d like to know what we need to do for it to be comparable to events elsewhere. I’ll probably try to have an easy and a hard option at each venue, but I really don’t know if there will be any takers. It’ll still be fun out on the bike for me, even if I’m the only one, so no harm in trying! Any advice from event organisers or participants would be appreciated.

troll the websites for the SRAM gravity events and the Dirtopia ones.. All the info you seek is there.

Don't be cheeky and ask people on here to spend their time doing research you can do yourself.

I am not being mean, but by 25 minutes of going through results and race reports you will get all the info you need.

Otherwise just go for a ride and find 5 x radical downhill sections, tag them, make a race and go from there.

We do it here because the actual races get cancelled or the timing doesn't work...  :ph34r:

Thanks, even that gives me a starting point. I’ve been doing quite a lot of reading, but still don’t think I have a good feel for the length and difficulty of these events. I certainly don’t expect others to do research for me! I just thought someone who has organised or ridden some of these events might be able to answer one or two of my questions above without having to think about it.

For instance, at one venue I’m thinking about having six stages for the hard option, averaging maybe 1.3 km each with 100−200 m drop, on fairly rocky technical natural trails. I guess the total ride would be ~35−40 km, with ~1,200−1,500 m elevation gain and drop, maybe 5 hours out on the bike. There’s a liaison that would require some hike-a-bike, maybe an hour of on-and-off the bike.

Then for an easy option maybe just cut out two or three stages, making it closer to ~25 km with ~700 m up/down. Or, perhaps, use entirely different stages that are less technical. 3 stages, ~20 km, ~600 m.

I suppose you’re right − there isn’t really one answer to what constitutes an enduro, and we can make it whatever we want. Just got to start somewhere!

If anyone can speak from experience about what’s too long, hard, or not long enough, steep enough, etc, I’d be interested to hear.

Thanks, even that gives me a starting point. I’ve been doing quite a lot of reading, but still don’t think I have a good feel for the length and difficulty of these events. I certainly don’t expect others to do research for me! I just thought someone who has organised or ridden some of these events might be able to answer one or two of my questions above without having to think about it.

For instance, at one venue I’m thinking about having six stages for the hard option, averaging maybe 1.3 km each with 100−200 m drop, on fairly rocky technical natural trails. I guess the total ride would be ~35−40 km, with ~1,200−1,500 m elevation gain and drop, maybe 5 hours out on the bike. There’s a liaison that would require some hike-a-bike, maybe an hour of on-and-off the bike.

Then for an easy option maybe just cut out two or three stages, making it closer to ~25 km with ~700 m up/down. Or, perhaps, use entirely different stages that are less technical. 3 stages, ~20 km, ~600 m.

I suppose you’re right − there isn’t really one answer to what constitutes an enduro, and we can make it whatever we want. Just got to start somewhere!

If anyone can speak from experience about what’s too long, hard, or not long enough, steep enough, etc, I’d be interested to hear.

If you put a description on the event with 2 definite options I think you will be covered.

The long one will be difficult. The Shorter one not so difficult.

I like the races where the organiser has used radical technical stuff with a more natural feel. Rocks, roots etc... That way most people CAN ride it (as opposed to huge gaps and man made drops) but how quickly is the difference between racing and participating.

Seems like you have a good idea but 'the piece of string' concept runs true here.

Go too soft and the 'hardcores' will scoff... go too hardcore and the fluffers will moan it was too hard.

You need to decide on who you want to target, who will pitch and pay and then keep them happy. You can't cater for everybody which is super tough to accept

Thanks for that.

I think the biggest challenge will be convincing people here to give it a go. I built a bit of a downhill track, and as soon as everyone saw the man-made gap jumps and drops they decided it wasn’t for them, even though I made very tame runs around them (and they’re very small). So I think you’re spot on with your comments below:

I like the races where the organiser has used radical technical stuff with a more natural feel. Rocks, roots etc... That way most people CAN ride it (as opposed to huge gaps and man made drops) but how quickly is the difference between racing and participating.

You need to decide on who you want to target, who will pitch and pay and then keep them happy. You can't cater for everybody which is super tough to accept

Sounds legit on paper. I guess it depends on the stages themselves.

As far as an event goes the numbers seem to tick the right boxes.

Enduro races 'should' focus on elevation more than distance.

Don't worry too much about what type of trails constitute Enduro riding.

Just try and mix it up a bit. Where stages are generally aimed at intermediate skill levels with chicken runs for harder features. Feedback after your first race will probably be more valuable than any research you can do before hand. Its also where all your teething problems will present themselves. Like your timing. As for research now nothing beats some informal stage sampling with a couple friends on strava to set the tone for what can be expected.

Thanks for that.

I think the biggest challenge will be convincing people here to give it a go. I built a bit of a downhill track, and as soon as everyone saw the man-made gap jumps and drops they decided it wasn’t for them, even though I made very tame runs around them (and they’re very small). So I think you’re spot on with your comments below:

I have exactly the same problem here in Tzaneen! The locals think they are going to break their neck on the trails even though I made sure there are safe B-lines all over the place!!!

I have exactly the same problem here in Tzaneen! The locals think they are going to break their neck on the trails even though I made sure there are safe B-lines all over the place!!!

I’ll get in touch next time I’m in Tzaneen.  ;)

Feedback after your first race will probably be more valuable than any research you can do before hand. … As for research now nothing beats some informal stage sampling with a couple friends on strava to set the tone for what can be expected.

I reckon you’re right. Now to find some willing friends…

Thanks a lot, Nigel. Lots of useful information there.

• 2 months later...

Nuffy, you can chat to Johan at Hakahana trails - he's put together a few events which have had a dedicated fan base and have now grown into a CSA-sanctioned race series.

Typical runs there are 1.3-1.9km, avg drop around 1:10 to 1:9, trails are left quite natural (ie rocky :wacko:) with only a few built jumps etc, as mentioned by others here - which is the way us locals like it!

Nigel has also hosted a Lesotho event this year witrh runs of 5-9km each, completely natural trails.  Awesome event that was.  Hard work though!

That reiterates what was said - assess who your customer base is (or might develop into).  These two guys mentioned here have stuck to their guns, driven by passion - and they've effectively developed riders into enjoying more technical stuff.

Hey Nuffy

Don't be fooled, there is "NO perfect" and my first bit of advice is keep it simple. It's a lot of effort pulling off an event where all the bits work seamlessly.

Work with the terrain you've got. That will lead the way. Consider the easiest ways back up and don't make it too tough. Seriously your BIG ride is VERY big. Only the 10-20% will enjoy it. Rather work with the fun and flow of the trails you make. Plan for later extensions or variations. Its hard work so plan it well.

By example our SA Champs was 5 stages: only 21km total distance and about 750m elev. (Which are almost irrelevant statistics) because its all about your terrain, the combination of stages and overall ride experience and Amp. The day was hot so we lost a lot of riders. As I said there is no perfect.

I'd say, string one stage together. Ride it. Ride it again and then more with mates. make a few tweeks and add what is good. Then ride it again. Have Fun. The more flow the more riders you will get. Make it for everyone and add the "bigger features' alongside.

Thanks westcoaster and HAKAHANA TRAILS for your input! It is much appreciated.

I did try my whole long loop some months back, and I bonked big time towards the end. I wasn’t eating adequately, but it was pretty tough anyway. I’d still like to do it again properly sometime, but for a first event I think it would be safe to stick to the shorter loop and give some bail out options. I was hoping to get some assurance that the overall and stage distances would be adequate, and the feedback here suggests that it would be. The challenge will be getting enough riders to give it a go, but as the feeback has also shown, it doesn’t really matter if it’s just a rag-tag group of mates to start with. Probably better that way anyway!

Hey Nuffy

Don't be fooled, there is "NO perfect" and my first bit of advice is keep it simple. It's a lot of effort pulling off an event where all the bits work seamlessly.

Work with the terrain you've got. That will lead the way. Consider the easiest ways back up and don't make it too tough. Seriously your BIG ride is VERY big. Only the 10-20% will enjoy it. Rather work with the fun and flow of the trails you make. Plan for later extensions or variations. Its hard work so plan it well.

By example our SA Champs was 5 stages: only 21km total distance and about 750m elev. (Which are almost irrelevant statistics) because its all about your terrain, the combination of stages and overall ride experience and Amp. The day was hot so we lost a lot of riders. As I said there is no perfect.

I'd say, string one stage together. Ride it. Ride it again and then more with mates. make a few tweeks and add what is good. Then ride it again. Have Fun. The more flow the more riders you will get. Make it for everyone and add the "bigger features' alongside.

Oh, yes. That race was brutal but toughen up and finish... :D

Looking at my last enduro race (All Mountain Enduro @ Dirtopia) it was about 25km and 800m elevation over 5 stages, and it was pretty lekker. I really enjoyed it.