The Great Wine Thread

CogitoErgoSum

Any Bordeaux blend  is great for me.  Some better than others.

With a name like that it is a good assumption to assume Bacchus would also find this his much favoured bottle of LO. 

They have a few good names....  all related...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife drank my 2 bottles of corked tassies from my collection..... "but I thought it was cooking wine.."

Faaark....

As studente het ons gekook na 'n paar bottels Tassies....

For those that like a bit of variety i.t.o cultivar, a few suggestions:

Barbera from Altydgedacht

Sangiovese from Antonij Rupert's Terra de Capo range (stunning wine)

Gamay Noir from De Kleine Zalze

Cinsault from Darling Cellars (a real steal)

Tannat from Fairview

Rousanne from Fairview

I have picked up a habit from a friend that has a mission to find really good Cheap wine , max R80,00 a bottle, we have found some really good cheap wines, It is so easy to get caught up in the pretentious world of wine where a lot of people think that an expensive wine is a good one. Some of the wines that we have found can hold their own against wines 4 x their price.

I'm with you, we play a game, find a good one R50 or less.

I recently spent money on a bottle of wine which cost about R120 and it was terrible. My mistake though, I fell in love with their label (Jordan Chameleon Merlot) 

*Please note I'm not bashing the wine makers here, just the offering at R120 was not worth it.

I ran a competition with a couple of mates during the Tour de France.  The price being a nice bottle of red wine, need to source 5 bottles for the winners to be handed out after the DC, something rather unique and special...

Any recommendations...

I recently spent money on a bottle of wine which cost about R120 and it was terrible. My mistake though, I fell in love with their label (Jordan Chameleon Merlot) 

*Please note I'm not bashing the wine makers here, just the offering at R120 was not worth it.

Yah, as I said earlier Price is not a good indicator of much in wine, its about your personal taste. I buy a lot of Lakeridge Sauvignon Blanc and its about $4/5 bucks a bottle, which is really, really cheap here, but its excellent drinking wine and many hotels use it as their private label.

In SA the big box wine makers like Simonsberg, Nederberg, Boschendal, Spier, Douglas Green etc make first class wines you can enjoy everyday at a really reasonable price. 

My wife and I also enjoy a good wine once or twice a week.

Tip:

Look at buying your wine from takealot. 

Example time:

A case (x6) of Kanonkop Kadette sells for R567 (qualifies for free delivery to your door above R450)

Each new account qualifies for a R150 discount on their first order. (Mybroadband has a thread with the current Voucher codes)

Thus:

R567- R150 = R417 delivered to your door (R69.50 a bottle)

** You can obviously score more if the case costs R450 (Works out R50 each delivered)

** I know of people who create a new account every month for their Vino. 

I ran a competition with a couple of mates during the Tour de France.  The price being a nice bottle of red wine, need to source 5 bottles for the winners to be handed out after the DC, something rather unique and special...

Any recommendations...

Tokara Shiraz or Chocolate Block (both >R100)

Any recommendations...

Beyerskloof Pinotage

You can thank me later

Without getting flamed, anyone here tried de-alcoholised wines? Am allergic to alcohol but miss having a bottle. Have looked at importing from Australia or America but a very expensive risk if it arrives and tastes like grape juice.

Onedayonly has something like Wine Wednesdays.... will see what they have for tomorrow. Hopefully something worth it

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Without getting flamed, anyone here tried de-alcoholised wines? Am allergic to alcohol but miss having a bottle. Have looked at importing from Australia or America but a very expensive risk if it arrives and tastes like grape juice.

Alcohol is necessary for the "taste" of wine, it rounds the wine off and gives it that "feel" in the mouth, so its unlikely you will ever find a non alcoholic wine that actually tastes like a "normal wine".

I dont know of any SA brands of non alcoholic wines but here "Ariel" is the most popular, its cheap its very popular and its everywhere, it might be worth a try.