The Great Wine Thread

CogitoErgoSum

Anybody feel like splashing out for a special occasion - De Toren - Fusion V. Perhaps buy 2 bottles... a case is overkill...

If you enjoy a Bordeaux blend then in the range of the De Toren Fusion V you should try Meerlust Rubicon!!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They were 62c a bottle when I was in final year...

Early 80's we paid R2 per bottle over the bar at the Dros. And folklore said that a full stop after the Tassies on the screw top indicated a very good year :clap:

My teeth still have a purple tinge...

This year my advice is to drive past Springfield and invest in a few cases of the Bon Courage 'The Goosberry Bush' Sauvignon Blanc. Really enjoying it.

Hi DPG,

I didn't want to say anything before as I didn't want to sort of let you down, but I have tried the Ariel (a few times) and in my opinion its just like ....sadly Grape Juice.

To be honest I dont think you will be impressed, its just my opinion I guess, but if it was me, I wouldn't buy it. 

Thanks GoG,

That is the reason I was reluctant to spend so much money in importing it.

As far as boiling it is concerned, been down that road before, 2 downfalls, 1, As mentioned, it absolutely destroys the wine, my mates said it tasted burnt. But the biggest problem is that even boiling it not all the alcohol evaporates, the alcohol is reduced to about 1.5%, which is still too much content for me! Guess I will still have to keep looking for a solution 

Thanks GoG,

That is the reason I was reluctant to spend so much money in importing it.

As far as boiling it is concerned, been down that road before, 2 downfalls, 1, As mentioned, it absolutely destroys the wine, my mates said it tasted burnt. But the biggest problem is that even boiling it not all the alcohol evaporates, the alcohol is reduced to about 1.5%, which is still too much content for me! Guess I will still have to keep looking for a solution 

I know we talking wine here, but do you also fancy non-alc beer?

The only non-alc beer I have tried that actually tastes like beer is Clausthaller.

I am just curious to know the reason for non alcoholic wine and beer. Is it because if you drink to much you get stuffed or the feeling afterwards or is it just that you don't consume alcohol at all?  

+1 on the Clausthaller.

As for me, I didn't drink any alcohol for an extended period (13years) for various reasons.... I was very very naughty during my student years. And my father-in-law was an alcoholic. He passed away in January due to heart failure brought on by alcohol and 55years smoking... So that has put me off from any alcohol. But now I am enjoying my red wine for the experience and taste of it

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

+1 on the Clausthaller.

As for me, I didn't drink any alcohol for an extended period (13years) for various reasons.... I was very very naughty during my student years. And my father-in-law was an alcoholic. He passed away in January due to heart failure brought on by alcohol and 55years smoking... So that has put me off from any alcohol. But now I am enjoying my red wine for the experience and taste of it

Where can you buy this?

+1 on the Clausthaller.

Thanks for sharing. Just remember a student is just something else......

The Clausthaller comes in an original and in a lemon. The original is a classic German bitter beer taste. The lemon is more of a beer shandy.

I bought/saw some at various SuperSpar shops

Early 80's we paid R2 per bottle over the bar at the Dros. And folklore said that a full stop after the Tassies on the screw top indicated a very good year :clap:

My teeth still have a purple tinge...

Good story.

Does anybody remember the No "7" ?

All this folklore when you are a student.  You believe in anything just to be able to drink it.

I am just curious to know the reason for non alcoholic wine and beer. Is it because if you drink to much you get stuffed or the feeling afterwards or is it just that you don't consume alcohol at all?  

I love the taste of beer. Don't really drink anything else other than coffee and red wine - no cooldrinks, etc. So if someone could produce a good non-alcoholic at a good price, I would buy it. Clausthaller is pretty decent.

To Answer all the questions in one thread is easier.

I am allergic to alcohol due to a medical condition having been in and out of hospital for 2 years and eventually having an op 15 years ago.Lots of experimentation done and I know exactly what % of alcohol content I can handle.

Non Alcoholic beers generally still have small alcoholic content in them, between 0.5 and 0.8% by volume. Anything below 1% Alcohol volume is considered Non Alcoholic. And much to my delight, it also doesn't affect me.

There are a few available in South Africa that are decent, but a lot that are just crap. Stay away from any from Woolworths or Bavaria brau!

Clausthaler is available in most Spars and bottle stores, It has the Lemon and original. Both Ok!

My current favourite is Erdinger. Closest I have ever tasted to a decent barley brew.

Becks is the most freely available in South Africa but tends to be a bit bland. There was a Craft Beer launched last year by Brewers and Union called "Der Graf van Bavaria" was/is awesome but limited demand in South Africa means few people import it.

The best I ever tasted and still import every now and then is Holsten Non Alcoholic. But then again these are just my opinions and having not tasted a proper beer in 15 years my taste might be a little out!

I would say any of the Rust en Vrede Reds, the Syrah is spectacular, Cabernet Sauvignon as well,...depends what you prefer, they are excellent wines for all occasions, highly awarded and still not ridiculously overpriced.

That little valley must be a good spot for red grapes - I bought a good Syrah at Peter Valke, and I had a bottle of Stellenrust Shiraz that I enjoyed. I also hear good things about Dornier - have not tried their wine yet.

For eveyday table wine:

Paarl area:

Doolhof Cape Boar

Landskroon Frans Hugo

Stellenbosch:

Kanonkop Kadette is hard to beat

Somerset West:

Vergelegen Chard

Lourensford Dome Chard

If you enjoy a Bordeaux blend then in the range of the De Toren Fusion V you should try Meerlust Rubicon!!

I aleays prefferred their cab sav - not to say Rubicon is not good in a good year - Just kind of boring for old guys like me...

Just bought a limited edition Magnum from De Toren... not sure if I will open it or look at it or give it away.... probably all 3 ultimately.