No foam oil ring in my suntour fork...

Mojoman

So I bought a Momsem a few weeks back and it has the usual el cheapo Suntour fork on it (air). 

I have done around 130km on it so far and noticed that after each ride there was thick greasy marks on the stanchions so I decided to quickly whip off the lowers today to clean up the foam rings and add a bit of fresh oil to it....but there were no foam oil rings in the lowers...!!

While I concede its a cheap ass fork I would have thought just about all forks would have that foam ring?
My Reba has, My Suntour Epicon has and my old Suntour air fork that came on my 2010 GT has them as well.

Is this normal or did someone forget to put them in at the factory?

I cant see this fork lasting too long then if there is no foam ring to help lubricate and clean the stanchions?

post-12678-0-34231200-1505654475_thumb.jpg

Hi

See the PDF diagram for the unit that was supplied with my Momsen - seems it is only a wiper seal

Ja, pretty useless actually of Suntour...lets be honest, how much would 2 x foam rings cost? R20-30?

I think I will try and get some foam rings and fit them  As you can see in the pic there is space for them and others have done it before. 

Edited by Mojoman

Foam rings are not the answer in all cases.  A gritty foam ring will do much more damage than no foam ring at all.  As those forks are not often serviced probably best not to include them.  Marks on the stanchion can be from residual seal grease, oil leaking or the seal itself degrading.  As the fork is new (I assume that the bike is new) I suspect the first in which case this is normal and it should settle down.  

Also there's generally no oil in Suntour lowers - they're grease lubed. So foam rings are a bit of a waste of time.

All that grease is doing is making sticky, gritty streaks on the fork. Bought two rings and will fit them,add in 20/25mm of oil, invert the bike once in a while and I think all will be fine. 

That grease is just going to create a grinding paste. It take me ten minutes to flip the bike over, remove the brake caliper and speedo sensor (can only afford a wired one!), pull off the lowers and wash out those rings, re-oil and refit everything. 

That fork has to last me a while crap as it may be!

Just do take into account there might not be o-rings or crush washers to seal the lowers if you do fill with oil.... you might be leaking oil all over...

Just do take into account there might not be o-rings or crush washers to seal the lowers if you do fill with oil.... you might be leaking oil all over...

Thanks, got some O rings from work today!