[Event] Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #7 Kaapsehoop

WesselvdWalt

Event Name: Ashburton Investments NATIONAL MTB SERIES #7 Kaapsehoop
When: 14 October 2017 - 15 October 2017
Where: Kaapsehoop, Mpumulanga
Category: MTB

Situated about 25 km from Mbombela, the capital of Mpumalanga, Kaapsehoop is a fairytale town with a rich and monumental history that lies 1586m above sea level on the Highveld escarpment. With fairy tale charm and historical appeal, Kaapsehoop is a quaint little town at the top of a mountain that boasts mountain biking trails over plantations and indigenous forests in the De Kaap valley. Many of the routes are not publicly accessible and offers magical views of an area that is unspoiled by man, with the exception of a few historical houses and farm land.

This will be the first time in the history of the National MTB Series that we have an exciting Hill-Top finish. Like many stages in the Tour de France this stage will suit all climbers and be unique in that way.

The route starts out of the village towards blouswael vlakte with a steady climb with views over Barberton in the very far distance. Rider can expect some undulation afterwards before descending through one of the very beautiful valleys in the area, before starting their descend down the escarpment featuring one of the longest downhills of the year at 10km. After rolling dirt roads and dual track, passing dams and crossing spruits the long awaited climb back to the top of the escarpment awaits. Measuring 12km long with 1000m vertical ascend this will be the father of all climbs you have done for the year! Pace yourself, there are fantastic views along the way, enjoy every minute, the finish line awaits 2km after the crest and is mostly downhill to the finish.

This route is filled with indigenous forests, plantations, you are sure to see wild horses along the way as you carve your way through the deep forests and over spruits. The route passes very special areas that are not accessible to the public, including the blou swael vlakte.

Breaking through the forest canopy riders will plunge through alongside a valley still completely unspoiled. Here some exhilarating natural horse trails await kriss-crossing dams and the side of the valley, before plunging down over a river and up a steep climb back out the Valley. Some route undulations and singletrack await before turning back to the finish.

Go to Event Page

• 4 weeks later...

The super bumpy virgin tracks didnt give me any opportunity to rest a bit. That said, does anyone know of a route in Pretoria that can possibly prepare you better for that amount of climbing?

The super bumpy virgin tracks didnt give me any opportunity to rest a bit. That said, does anyone know of a route in Pretoria that can possibly prepare you better for that amount of climbing?

Two Laps of Buffelsdrift will go a long way to helping.

That last 14 km on the first  day nearly kill me. but is unbelievable nice. All the single track on the second day was excellent