Avid XO trail - caliper rebuild

Yusran

Hey Hubbers,

The Story:

Recently I bailed coming into a singletrack - my bar clipped a tree and I left my bike behind, bailing over the bars. While I was all good, my bike wasn't so much... not that I knew at the time. I picked him up and kept on riding, when I noticed 2 things:

• My brake lever was shuddering in my hand
  • My brake lever was very close to my grips

So I stopped at the bottom, and inspected my bike: 1) Rotor was kinked heavily, 2) the rotor was pushing a piston back in every rotation, and 3) my sexy shiny caliper had a few scratches on it... Got over it, took the rotor off on the side of the trail and knocked the kink out with a rock, so it cleared the pistons, and kept riding for the rest of the day.

The problem:

After bleeding my caliper, all seems to work 100%. After riding around for a week, 100%. As soon as I lift my bike upright to squeeze past the cars in my garage, the brake loses all of its power. On inspection, there is a fair amount of leaked brake fluid on my frame (a few blobs).

So I'm wanting to know, is there any DIY fix for this? If not, anyone know where I can get a caliper parts kit in Cape Town? Like this one: http://www.jensonusa.com/Avid-X0-Trail-Caliper-Parts-Kit

post-41725-0-52007200-1505894619_thumb.png

Looks like some bog standard o-rings and seals so I'm hoping to not spend too much more (on cycling in general :P ).

Any advice would be much appreciated! Would love to have a worry-free ride this weekend.

Here are some pics (the brake fluid leak is hard to see on the blackness, but it is there):

post-41725-0-90845600-1505895444_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-51007900-1505895454_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-75979300-1505895464_thumb.jpg

post-41725-0-43191600-1505895476_thumb.jpg

Hey Hubbers,

The Story:

Recently I bailed coming into a singletrack - my bar clipped a tree and I left my bike behind, bailing over the bars. While I was all good, my bike wasn't so much... not that I knew at the time. I picked him up and kept on riding, when I noticed 2 things:

• My brake lever was shuddering in my hand
  • My brake lever was very close to my grips

So I stopped at the bottom, and inspected my bike: 1) Rotor was kinked heavily, 2) the rotor was pushing a piston back in every rotation, and 3) my sexy shiny caliper had a few scratches on it... Got over it, took the rotor off on the side of the trail and knocked the kink out with a rock, so it cleared the pistons, and kept riding for the rest of the day.

The problem:

After bleeding my caliper, all seems to work 100%. After riding around for a week, 100%. As soon as I lift my bike upright to squeeze past the cars in my garage, the brake loses all of its power. On inspection, there is a fair amount of leaked brake fluid on my frame (a few blobs).

So I'm wanting to know, is there any DIY fix for this? If not, anyone know where I can get a caliper parts kit in Cape Town? Like this one: http://www.jensonusa.com/Avid-X0-Trail-Caliper-Parts-Kit

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

Looks like some bog standard o-rings and seals so I'm hoping to not spend too much more (on cycling in general :P ).

Any advice would be much appreciated! Would love to have a worry-free ride this weekend.

Easy fix to rebuild yourself. Bought a kit from Revolution cycles not too long ago to rebuild my elixirs 5's. You will just need access to a compressor to remove the old pistons, but be careful, they can come out with a force.

Bleeding avids is a bit of a black art, or I lack the skills. So i did the rebuild, and my LBS did the bleed. Easiest will be to take Myles advise and go visit Droo.

Easy fix to rebuild yourself. Bought a kit from Revolution cycles not too long ago to rebuild my elixirs 5's. You will just need access to a compressor to remove the old pistons, but be careful, they can come out with a force.

Bleeding avids is a bit of a black art, or I lack the skills. So i did the rebuild, and my LBS did the bleed. Easiest will be to take Myles advise and go visit Droo.

Do revolution cycles sell for elixir CR's?

And what did you pay for em, need to rebuild my front lever

Do revolution cycles sell for elixir CR's?

And what did you pay for em, need to rebuild my front lever

The internals are the same as far as I know, was about R250 per lever kit  and R250 per caliper kit. The internals I gave you last time is supposed to work as far as I know. best to  confirm this with the gurus

The internals are the same as far as I know, was about R250 per lever kit  and R250 per caliper kit. The internals I gave you last time is supposed to work as far as I know. best to  confirm this with the gurus

correct. 

Only difference in the things is the lever, or if you have the XX / world cup which have ceramic pistons, iirc.

interesting would you think this was caused by the fall?

are these new brakes? the solution to fix them seems fair, but why would they need be fixed after tumble of this nature?

They were 2nd hand brakes, but performed absolutely flawlessly from purchase right up until before the fall.

Tokai snake trails and DH run no issues, commute to work no issues, upside down in my garage no issues, carted around in the back of my bakkie no issues. But immediately faulty after the fall.

I'm no expert but I had a thought that the bent rotor, and it was properly bent, pushing the piston back into the caliper may have caused a seal to blow. But when re-setting the brakes you do that manually anyways so scratch that idea.

I just want to fix it so I can go ride Jonkershoek :D

interesting would you think this was caused by the fall?

are these new brakes? the solution to fix them seems fair, but why would they need be fixed after tumble of this nature?

They were 2nd hand brakes, but performed absolutely flawlessly from purchase right up until before the fall.

Tokai snake trails and DH run no issues, commute to work no issues, upside down in my garage no issues, carted around in the back of my bakkie no issues. But immediately faulty after the fall.

I'm no expert but I had a thought that the bent rotor, and it was properly bent, pushing the piston back into the caliper may have caused a seal to blow. But when re-setting the brakes you do that manually anyways so scratch that idea.

I just want to fix it so I can go ride Jonkershoek :D

hopefully, with us :clap: :thumbup: :whistling:

I'd prefer to fix them myself, and I've got a compressor at home so no problems there. If I can't get a service kit I will go visit Droo, always wanted to meet the gurus.

Bleeding any brake is 2nd nature for me, it's suspension and wheel buidling that are black arts in my books :o

This is my plan of action for the afternoon ;) will ask for a service kit/advice or just straight up arrange a visit.

Give Droo / Savage at STOKE a shout. He'll sort you out.