Route(s) Advice Near Sun City

Andrew_Smith

Howzit guys,

Hope you all are excited for the weekend. 

We are going to Sun City for the September holiday and of course, the bike is coming with. Will be the first time flying with my bike and will organise a bike box this weekend. Asked my friend to come show me the ropes how to pack it correctly. 

Did a quick glance on Google Maps and saw that the resort itself is not that big. So I won't do a lot of riding in the resort itself, maybe around the golf course, if they allow it.

Basically, I want to work on my base kilos. So far thinking of riding to Rustenburg and back or even to Oppikoppi. But I am used to the Western Cape and I know it is not the same up there, so I would like to hear the locals pointing out which routes would be the best and which should be avoided. 

I love taking photos, so I will most probably take my DSLR along the ride. So if there are any scenic sites to stop, I would love to hear. 

All of the rides will be solo. Any advice will be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks.

André  

Howzit guys,

Hope you all are excited for the weekend. 

We are going to Sun City for the September holiday and of course, the bike is coming with. Will be the first time flying with my bike and will organise a bike box this weekend. Asked my friend to come show me the ropes how to pack it correctly. 

Did a quick glance on Google Maps and saw that the resort itself is not that big. So I won't do a lot of riding in the resort itself, maybe around the golf course, if they allow it.

Basically, I want to work on my base kilos. So far thinking of riding to Rustenburg and back or even to Oppikoppi. But I am used to the Western Cape and I know it is not the same up there, so I would like to hear the locals pointing out which routes would be the best and which should be avoided. 

I love taking photos, so I will most probably take my DSLR along the ride. So if there are any scenic sites to stop, I would love to hear. 

All of the rides will be solo. Any advice will be greatly appreciated it.

Thanks.

André  

Are you bringing a road bike or MTB?

Andrew, I would not ride those roads, especially alone.

The trucks are a menace, does not care for other motorvehicles, lest a lonely chap on a Mtb.

Not too sure if you will be allowed to ride around the Golf course. There used to be a hubber working at SinCity, and a Mtb'er to boot. I just cannot remember his name now.

Edited by Wannabe

An MTB, more specific a hardtail.

I've never cycled that far out, but I can give an impression, however correct or otherwise. The roads around SunCity are v busy - more taxis than you'd imagine with mining trucks often - and the roads are not in great shape.

I stayed about 30kms from SunCity at a lodge and thought about cycling, on a road bike, out to there from JHB, but plans fell through and I drove. I'm glad I did.

My gut would say find some trails and ride away from the road. Can SunCity not advise on their trails, if they have any?

Edited by Fat Boab

@Wannabe, I hear your point and won't argue with you. 

Then I'll have to make peace with only riding in the resort itself. 

The main purpose of bringing my bike with is to keep my fitness levels. I did check if they perhaps have a gym so that I can do some WattBiking for time being. Sadly I could not find any.

I don't want to sit without a bike for eight days, hence the reason why I want to take it with. 

Sjoe I wouldn't advise riding and especially with a fancy camera. I have done the lost city mtb ride a few years back and their are trails but I wouldn't be keen doing it alone especially if you don't know the area.

Andrew, there used to be a fully equipped Gym (we, as staff members, was allowed to use it)

I'll suggest you contact their Guest relations department, and ask them. They are very clued up as to whats what around there.

@Wannabe, I hear your point and won't argue with you. 

Then I'll have to make peace with only riding in the resort itself. 

The main purpose of bringing my bike with is to keep my fitness levels. I did check if they perhaps have a gym so that I can do some WattBiking for time being. Sadly I could not find any.

I don't want to sit without a bike for eight days, hence the reason why I want to take it with. 

Where exactly you staying? There is a small gym at the spa. But I mean small and no wattbike. A few spinning bikes and treadmills and some basic home gym type weights.

I've never cycled that far out, but I can give an impression, however correct or otherwise. The roads around SunCity are v busy - more taxis than you'd imagine with mining trucks often - and the roads are not in great shape.

I stayed about 30kms from SunCity at a lodge and thought about cycling, on a road bike, out to there from JHB, but plans fell through and I drove. I'm glad I did.

My gut would say find some trails and ride away from the road. Can SunCity not advise on their trails, if they have any?

Sho, sounds hectic! 

All I could find is this:

VXewkZO.png

The price is just WAY out of my budget.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Or even better, get hold of their Security Control room number, those okes used to be fitness freaks, so there should be a Mtb'er or two amongst them. Just explain your situation to them.

They will be able to take you into areas on the complex where guests would never be able to. 

Where exactly you staying? There is a small gym at the spa. But I mean small and no wattbike. A few spinning bikes and treadmills and some basic home gym type weights.

We are staying in the Holiday Club area if I am not mistaken.

Sho, sounds hectic! 

All I could find is this:

VXewkZO.png

The price is just WAY out of my budget.

No clues from Strava?

Sjoe I wouldn't advise riding and especially with a fancy camera. I have done the lost city mtb ride a few years back and their are trails but I wouldn't be keen doing it alone especially if you don't know the area.

About the camera, I won't say it is the fanciest one on the market, but I would not love it getting stolen. I ride with a separate small bag where I store the camera. The camera bag makes my back get sore after time.

OK, yeah I see riding outside Sun City is clearly a no go.

I saw on Strava there are quite a few segments inside the resort, so maybe I underestimated the resort. It could perhaps work out. I also saw there are a few climbs too. I won't mind doing some hill intervals repeats. 

Edited by Andrew_Smith

Or even better, get hold of their Security Control room number, those okes used to be fitness freaks, so there should be a Mtb'er or two amongst them. Just explain your situation to them.

They will be able to take you into areas on the complex where guests would never be able to. 

Thanks Wannabe, I'll keep that in mind.  :thumbup:

You can always ride the hill climb from the entrance (the one that travels next to the mono-rail). Keep left as you enter!

I did that last year and could not get to the top without stopping....granted I was not that fit at the time though  :whistling:

If you ride that a few times over I am sure you will look forward to that cold beer or a dip in any of the pools, especially with the temps these days.

We rode around the golf course later in the afternoon after 5 on the golf cart paths and didn't have any problems...almost got lost a few times too  :P. Even saw a lonely elephant up on the mountain slope :o  :eek:  

There are more than enough paths (on and off road) to keep you busy and exploring.

As mentioned above though I would not venture out of the grounds for your own safety!