Route(s) Advice Near Sun City

Andrew_Smith

You can always ride the hill climb from the entrance (the one that travels next to the mono-rail). Keep left as you enter!

I did that last year and could not get to the top without stopping....granted I was not that fit at the time though  :whistling:

If you ride that a few times over I am sure you will look forward to that cold beer or a dip in any of the pools, especially with the temps these days.

We rode around the golf course later in the afternoon after 5 on the golf cart paths and didn't have any problems...almost got lost a few times too  :P. Even saw a lonely elephant up on the mountain slope :o  :eek:  

There are more than enough paths (on and off road) to keep you busy and exploring.

As mentioned above though I would not venture out of the grounds for your own safety!

True, that hill would make a good one for hill reps!

Don't worry about being charged for a guided ride....total rip off and you can ride wherever you want...within reason. You will see loads of cars pull in with bikes, especially at the vacation club!

You can always ride the hill climb from the entrance (the one that travels next to the mono-rail). Keep left as you enter!

I did that last year and could not get to the top without stopping....granted I was not that fit at the time though  :whistling:

If you ride that a few times over I am sure you will look forward to that cold beer or a dip in any of the pools, especially with the temps these days.

We rode around the golf course later in the afternoon after 5 on the golf cart paths and didn't have any problems...almost got lost a few times too  :P. Even saw a lonely elephant up on the mountain slope :o  :eek:  

There are more than enough paths (on and off road) to keep you busy and exploring.

As mentioned above though I would not venture out of the grounds for your own safety!

Saw that climb on Strava, not going to lie dit is nie niks nie!

Absolutely! And the elevation is also quite high above sea already, would make it also harder. 

Nice! I will bring my lights with for evening rides. Last time I rode around the golf cart paths with the Segways, but on a bike, it would be much better. 

Wow, I have to try and capture a picture if I am lucky. 

Great to hear then, thanks for the reply Mr lee. 

Edited by Andrew_Smith

And how was it Andrew?

Haha, Mr lee we are only flying this Friday, so can still get some miles on the bike before packing it.

Collected the two cycling boxes yesterday at CWC. I never knew cycling boxes is so expensive. R250 a piece. Luckily one of the mechanics that worked on my bike organised two spare boxes from the workshop for free which was very generous of him.

My friend is coming over on Thursday to help me pack. Last night my father forwarded the terms and conditions of travelling a bike from Kulula.

I agree with everything, except two things: Deflate your tyres and we need to arrive 90 minutes earlier otherwise the bike does not go with.

I understand that the air pressure changes when we are going to fly, but can't I just deflate it to 0.8bars front and rear. I am just scared the slime would somehow leak out when there is no air in the tyres. And why should we arrive 90 minutes earlier? They are not going to back the bike or anything, I am going to do that. Because now we need to be at the airport at 05:00 and we only departing at 06:30. 

• 5 months later...

Apologies Andrew_Smith, I might be a bit late to respond, however this might help any future travelers to Sun City. I came across the below which was announced in Dec 2017. Looks like a nice trail if you're looking for a short MTB ride while at Sun City.

https://www.suninternational.com/sun-city/activities/safari/mountain-biking-letsatsing-game-park-mankwe-gametrackers/

Mankwe GAMETRACKERS is very excited to announce that we will have a mountain bike route in the Letsatsing Game Park. The route covers a distance of 9.7 km through a private game park situated in the Sun City Resort bordering the Pilanesberg National Park. It is a 700Ha reserve with plenty of wildlife such as Wildebeest, Impala, Sable, Zebra, Giraffe, Warthogs, Nyala, Kudu and much more, not to forget about all the smaller creatures, critters and bird life.

The mountain bike route consists of rocky terrain, rivulets and mountainous terrain that is not too steep.

About Excursion

The route will be available year round with seasonal timings as follows:

• Summer: October until March open from 06:00 until 17:00
  • Winter: April to September open from 07:00 until 16:00.

Estimated duration approximately 1 to 2 hours dependent on each individual's fitness level.

Rate

R75-per person one entry only - excluding bicycle and safety gear

R225-per person one entry only - including bicycle and safety gear

Departure Point

Departure will be from the Activity Hub,
next to the Shebeen.

What to Bring
  • Closed riding shoes, Sunscreen
  • Comfortable clothing for the journey
  • Water bottle
Fitness

A degree of physical fitness is required.
Maximum weight 120kg – if hiring a bicycle.

Inclusions

One entrance per person into Letsatsing Game Park.
Wash bay to clean your bike.

Exclusions

Spares including a tube and either a pump or bombs.
No lead person, rider will go on the route without any guidance.

Recommended for Riders to bring along
  • Own bike with tubeless tires and slime
  • Spares including a tube and either a pump or bombs
  • At least one water bottle
  • Sun screen
  • Camera or cell phone camera (we encounter some stunning views)
Skills

Any ride in Letsatsing Game Park requires additional safety due to the possibility of encountering wild animals including giraffe, wildebeest, impala, kudu and warthog, but excluding any predators.

Terms & Conditions
  1. Maximum 200 people.
  2. The excursion will be marketed by Sun City and Mankwe GAMETRACKERS through the websites and brochures.
  3. Guests to sign indemnity forms before embarking on the excursion.
  4. Guests are welcome to bring along cameras and binoculars.
  5. Guests will be able to pre-book online or directly at the Mankwe GAMETRACKERS desks in the Welcome Centre and Activity Hub or through the hotel concierge.
  6. Operators & Travel Agents can also book online and check real time availability through our wholesaler portal or they can send their booking requests via e-mail to info@manwkegametrackers.co.za

• 2 years later...

Revive.

Looking to do some cycling in the area on an MTB. Are the roads still unsafe?

Hoping for some saddle-time, so slabbing it is probably the way to go.

• 3 years later...

Hey, I'm going to sun city next week, I was hoping to be able to ride the end of Race to the sea but from what I read here, riding outside of the resort isn't a safe option ?

I see the segments inside, anyone's been there recently ? Should I take the MTB or is the gravel bike enough ?

cheers.