Deciding between a GT and a Merida

Reme Le Hane

Both got the same fork and similar Deore Groupset. Both are great brands. Buy which ever gives you the fuzziest feeling!

I would go for the GT, but I am a teeny tiny bit biased as I my old rig is a GT Karakorum but have recently gone the route of a Zaskar Carbon Pro. Both are complete custom builds, but nonetheless, the Alu Karakorum can take a solid beating and come out smiling and as for the Zaskar Carbon Pro - well in a different league IMHO.

The one thing I do want to say though, is that my old Momsen had the same front shock as the ones in your original post and that shock did not last more than 4 months and it was poked? So, be prepared for that as a possibility - but I am sure warranty will have you covered. Can your LBS not swop out the SR shock and replace with a RS Reba, whereby you pay in the difference? Might be a viable option?

I hear yo on going the secondhand route, but I do think that for around 10k, you will find a really decent spec bike - just got to be patient.

Either way, happy trails :clap:     

I would go for the GT, but I am a teeny tiny bit biased as I my old rig is a GT Karakorum but have recently gone the route of a Zaskar Carbon Pro. Both are complete custom builds, but nonetheless, the Alu Karakorum can take a solid beating and come out smiling and as for the Zaskar Carbon Pro - well in a different league IMHO.

The one thing I do want to say though, is that my old Momsen had the same front shock as the ones in your original post and that shock did not last more than 4 months and it was poked? So, be prepared for that as a possibility - but I am sure warranty will have you covered. Can your LBS not swop out the SR shock and replace with a RS Reba, whereby you pay in the difference? Might be a viable option?

I hear yo on going the secondhand route, but I do think that for around 10k, you will find a really decent spec bike - just got to be patient.

Either way, happy trails :clap:     

Did some more reading up last night and I prefer the 2X over the 3X and from what my research indicates, the Zascar is not much more, with the Elite probably at about 14k, which comes with Rockshox gold and an SLX groupset at 2X11.

Did some more reading up last night and I prefer the 2X over the 3X and from what my research indicates, the Zascar is not much more, with the Elite probably at about 14k, which comes with Rockshox gold and an SLX groupset at 2X11.

Both of my GT's are 1x10 (11-40t) which is purely a personal preference. Funny enough, the RS Recon Gold is the very shock I have on my old Karakorum and it too is an "adequate enough" shock. When building my Zaskar I was keen to try out the SR Epicon as they are very decently priced compared to their counterparts (RS & Fox), but there is pretty much no stock anywhere and they will only be getting in the new Epicon early 2018, so pulled the trigger on a Fox Factory shock for the Zaskar (so much for trying to save cash).

Good luck with your purchase / decision and don't forget to post a few pics of your new rig for us all to see :thumbup:   

• 2 weeks later...

The adventure is almost at its conclusion.

After this thread the lost shifted and swayed, got a few more options added.

I was going to grab the GT, but turns out the shop in question is not really concerned with service and making money, still wait to hear back on the price of the Zascar Elite R9.

Spotted a nice Scott scale 960 and the last of the 2017s is going for 16k. My aversion was the nearest listed dealer was over 20km away, making it less convenient for the after sales bits

Went back to the guys with the Merida, but nobody knows when the 2018 Big nine 500 is coming in, so the wait started.

Then as luck would have it, yesterday was the monthly social trail run, which starts and ends at an LBS which as it turns out had 1 large Scott scale 960 2017 in black and green right there for 16k and free tubeless conversion so once pedals added, comes out to like R90 more than the Merida.

So should be picking it up in a day or 2.

Thanks guys.

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

The adventure is almost at its conclusion.

After this thread the lost shifted and swayed, got a few more options added.

I was going to grab the GT, but turns out the shop in question is not really concerned with service and making money, still wait to hear back on the price of the Zascar Elite R9.

Spotted a nice Scott scale 960 and the last of the 2017s is going for 16k. My aversion was the nearest listed dealer was over 20km away, making it less convenient for the after sales bits

Went back to the guys with the Merida, but nobody knows when the 2018 Big nine 500 is coming in, so the wait started.

Then as luck would have it, yesterday was the monthly social trail run, which starts and ends at an LBS which as it turns out had 1 large Scott scale 960 2017 in black and green right there for 16k and free tubeless conversion so once pedals added, comes out to like R90 more than the Merida.

So should be picking it up in a day or 2.

Thanks guys.

I was amazed at how few shops bothered to come back to me about bikes when I was hunting around a month ago...!

I was amazed at how few shops bothered to come back to me about bikes when I was hunting around a month ago...!

I emailed, and based on my tracking the mail had been read on an iPad 4 just after 9 am, just after 1pm I called and was told I would get a call back in 5 minutes and that was the 29th.

I worked retail for many years, things like that, while they may be small is enough for me to rather go shop elsewhere, do NOT make it complicated for me to give you money. The Elite 9R would of been the most expensive of the lot, and knowing then what I knew now I would not have taken it,t he Scale 960 is spec'd almost identically and is quite a bit cheaper.

Again info I have now, is the GT shop has a GOT relationship with reviews, they either loved or hated, whereas the Merida and Scott shops seem to have their praises being such from the mountain tops. So really, it is a good thing for me they never bothered calling back.

Here she is... e47d90acb9b8f2bf785aa290c1dce35d.jpg

Enjoy and may you ride lots of fun and exciting km with your bike