Hack Norris Tyre Ninja - DIY Tyre Insert

PhilipV

I've pinged front rims before today. And I'm slow.

Agree, it does happen. i managed to puncture a Mary out front on a sharp rock - tread and rim bead punctures. I think the Sheriff may have prevented that.

That said, while I like the concept, I think some of the need for this has been created by changes in other parts of the bike wheel - like wider lower pressures and carbon rims. In the case above I stuck some plugs in and the tyre is still good for emergency use and the rim was fine. 

That said, in a race especially with the costs involved these days, why not have some extra security to make sure you finish.

Feedback, and it doesn't look good.

Two flat wheels in two rides.

One on Sunday, slashed sidewall, and a burped tyre this morning.

I've had more flats since installing hack Norris than in th entire year before installing it.

Sundays flat was a slashed sidewall, and today's was a massive burp. While inserts can't help for flimsy sidewalls, I have a suspicion that Hack helped to push the tyre off the rim this morning. I've never had an entire side blow of the rim in one go like this.

b2a57eb45aa17f9828ed2ef136a6346f.jpg

This was 5m after the jump where the tyre burped upon landing.

This one is the first one I made and was doing duty on the hardtail.

0bc627e2a9a4f1a20c273ab377352f54.jpg

Not sure whether those cut marks were before or after puncturing, but I think my builder foam might not be strong enough.

I'm going to take the inserts out of the Trance, I don't want another explosive blowout like this morning while riding at Eselfontein, but I will leave one in the hardtail and test it there.

• 9 months later...

Feedback, and it doesn't look good.

Two flat wheels in two rides.

One on Sunday, slashed sidewall, and a burped tyre this morning.

I've had more flats since installing hack Norris than in th entire year before installing it.

Sundays flat was a slashed sidewall, and today's was a massive burp. While inserts can't help for flimsy sidewalls, I have a suspicion that Hack helped to push the tyre off the rim this morning. I've never had an entire side blow of the rim in one go like this.

b2a57eb45aa17f9828ed2ef136a6346f.jpg

This was 5m after the jump where the tyre burped upon landing.

This one is the first one I made and was doing duty on the hardtail.

0bc627e2a9a4f1a20c273ab377352f54.jpg

Not sure whether those cut marks were before or after puncturing, but I think my builder foam might not be strong enough.

I'm going to take the inserts out of the Trance, I don't want another explosive blowout like this morning while riding at Eselfontein, but I will leave one in the hardtail and test it there.

Philip, You'll need really high density foam to not split it like that. Probably quite a specialized product, however should be available locally.  I was toying with the Idea myself. since I've had a few more dings since riding a longer travel bike. Will let you know If I can find it.

Edited by Bos

https://rubberunited.co.za/shop/

These guys have lots of Rubber, extruded & PVC products. 

http://evafoam.co.za/gallery/

These guys are In Durban, but they make slip-slops.. those soles might not be a bad start..

Otherwise Sondor foam. MASSIVE place. I know they do EVA but no Idea If its the one you're looking for. 

Sondor look like the people to speak to. They make that building jointex foam (which is lightweight foam according to their specs) and lots of similar foam products in varying densities. I think your tyre will give you more protection than the Jointex - definitely need a much higher density product.

Take an offcut from one of the brands currently on the market (find someone with 650b wheels and get the part they trim off) to someone like that and they could probably match it.

After all the time and effort it's probably easier/cheaper to just buy something off the shelf that is designed and tested for the purpose.

• 1 year later...

I shelled out for the cSixx Foamo Double Decker, rear wheel only, after my third proper ding on my brand new wheels after only 8 weeks (switched from a 26in trailbike to 650b HT)

I have to say, I can actually feel a difference on the trail. There is a certain feeling of dampening or cushioning that is hard to explain. Maybe it's just my imagination.

I'm interested to see how this pans out. My only concern would be the strength and consistency of the foam used. Will it survive a proper rock strike? I follow with interest!

Bit of a resurrection here. I have a Honzo that begs to be thrashed, and I'm thinking of putting a foamo in the back tyre. I run it kind of soft, because I like that bit of give on the hardtail, but I know I'll get a pitch flat as soon as I hit the rocks. What pressure are you running on your HT rear, and could you go as low as 1.2/1.3 bar on the back with that foamo?

. What pressure are you running on your HT rear, and could you go as low as 1.2/1.3 bar on the back with that foamo?

I wouldn't. Not even with a foamo. the tyre will squirm around in corners.