SCAM ALERT: Letumile - 078 835 9549

Rudi Pollard

I just want to alert fellow hubbers of this scammer.

His mode of operation is classic scammer. He contacted me on Tuesday evening to buy my bicycle listed in the classifieds. On Wednesday he phoned me, and without seeing the bike or really asking anything about the condition he asked for banking details.

A few hours later I got an SMS stating that the amount has been paid over, but obviously there was nothing in my account. He phoned me again and said that the money will take 24 hours to clear even though it is from ABSA to ABSA, because it was paid from a corporate account, but he wants the bike immediately. I refused and told him he can wait until the money clears.

Yesterday I received another alert from the bank stating he made a cheque deposit into my account, which obviously is lying there uncleared. I received another phone call and he said that he want to come and fetch the bike. When I told him that I work at ABSA head office and that I know exactly what he is busy with, he put the phone down immediately and I haven't heard a word from him again.

Be careful on the classifieds guys!!!

Flip it seems that scammers are gearing up for the festive season or something. It's crazy. Also had another one yesterday on my Gumtree ad. Mentioned the word "scammers", never heard from him again.

You should have told him he can come and collect the bike.  Then drop him a pin at someone from work you don't like.  Ok, don't do that, just drop him a pin of a random place so he can go there to collect the bike.  If everybody keeps sending this scammers to random places and messing with them a bit they might get gatvol and stop.  Well, maybe they won't stop but at least you can make them spend some petrol money......

I have encountered this several times over the years. Usually a guy with a Nigerian accent or via e mail saying he will buy (without seeing goods), whats my account details. I DON'T share my acc. details and ignore.

Anyone buying sight unseen is going to be a scammer, simple, cut and dried!

I have encountered this several times over the years. Usually a guy with a Nigerian accent or via e mail saying he will buy (without seeing goods), whats my account details. I DON'T share my acc. details and ignore.

Anyone buying sight unseen is going to be a scammer, simple, cut and dried!

Not necessarily Love2Fly

I bought my Spez unseen, it was THAT good a deal and the seller was a bicycle shop so the risk on my side was minimised as I knew who I was dealing with. However they did check that the money clears on their side before releasing the bike, which is fair.

I'd advocate for an intermediary for all bike sales, like https://www.paywithshepherd.com/

Do a search of that phone number on Facebook and you will get a profile...doesn't go by the name Letumile!

I assume you are aware that ABSA will now have a tick against your name for depositing cheques that bounce.

Call your bank and tell them the story, else next time you go for something this will count against you.

I assume you are aware that ABSA will now have a tick against your name for depositing cheques that bounce.

Call your bank and tell them the story, else next time you go for something this will count against you.

Tell them. I doubt it will help. You need to play hardcore with ABSA. Tell the person your story, after you have told the person your story and the person has made as if he or she really cares (they dont), suddenly demand the persons name, surname and employee number. Otherwise, I guarantee you, the next time you ask YOUR bank for a favour, they will throw this back in your face ans have no record that you ever reported the matter.

Anyway, just my opinion, I only worked for them for 20 years.

I had the same chop send me a text about my bike for sale. Said cool he can come look but delivery only upon cleared EFT or cash in hand. Not a peep since.