Ironman 70.3 East London 2018

clivem

Rolling downhill and fast... however save a little in the legs for as you get back into Town, there are a few little energy sapping hills

the climb from the highway back to transition is a toughie, just remember you still doing a half marathon when you get off the bike (also a toughie with that frikken bunkers hill) so don't burn those matches on the bike.

Luckily if you make the bike cut off you can just about walk the entire 21km and make it. The support along the beachfront is incredible though so you probably wont.

The most important thing you need to do after your race is go get a milkshake from Friesland Milk Bar.  you havent been to East London until you have been there.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used this last year.

Works well, if the wind behaves.

My goal power and actual power were 2w different, but wind cost me 6mins

Great app though, gives you power updates the whole time

Oh wow that is great... Yea I mean time is all relative but it should still ensure that you give the best effort on the bike taking the run into account.

Easy to use and pick up the course too? Really want to give it a try and see how good we can time the race. All in prep for full

Oh wow that is great... Yea I mean time is all relative but it should still ensure that you give the best effort on the bike taking the run into account.

Easy to use and pick up the course too? Really want to give it a try and see how good we can time the race. All in prep for full

Yeah the course is saved on their database.

Some minor changes when you come through town, but nothing hectic.

Then input your FTP, bike and helmet info with your desired IF (around .75) and it calculates your goal power per segment and estimates finish time

Its rad. Wish there were more courses in SA to use it.

Starting to plan everything as the excitement is now too much.

Anyone used "best bike splits" for the EL route before? seems like a nice cheatsheet if you have a power meter on?

Thanks for that, that looks like an awesome sight.

It is quite cool

And if you have a power meter it imports to your Garmin and gives you power that you need to hold for every meter of the course. Quite fool proof "IT SEEMS" lol

Yeah the course is saved on their database.

Some minor changes when you come through town, but nothing hectic.

Then input your FTP, bike and helmet info with your desired IF (around .75) and it calculates your goal power per segment and estimates finish time

Its rad. Wish there were more courses in SA to use it.

Thanks...

The only thing I am worried about was that if you do not start 100% at the start of where the course is loaded that it would mess things up? No issues on that?

So you just say navigate and you hold to the power it shows on the head unit? All the way out and back?

Does anyone have a gpx file for the EL ride and the run?

1. Google "Site:strava.com 70.3 east london" and find someone's ride / run. 

2. Click the Settings button and "Create Route".

3. You have a strava route that you can download GPX for.

takes 2 minutes to create a GPX from any activity. Here - 

Ride: https://www.strava.com/routes/11664571

Run: https://www.strava.com/routes/11664579 (GPX is for double lap of 10.5km route).

Thanks...

The only thing I am worried about was that if you do not start 100% at the start of where the course is loaded that it would mess things up? No issues on that?

So you just say navigate and you hold to the power it shows on the head unit? All the way out and back?

Pretty much yes, is like having your own coach right in front of you on your gps telling you what power to put out depending on where you are on the course.  Subject to weather conditions as per the historical data if you stick to the power numbers, you should finish the cycle leg in the predicted time and still have something in the legs for the run and bunkers hill..... although bunkers is more of a mind game!! lol

Starting to plan everything as the excitement is now too much.

Anyone used "best bike splits" for the EL route before? seems like a nice cheatsheet if you have a power meter on?

Maybe have a look at this aswell:

This calculator is used to predict finish times for all three disciplines.

http://www.sportsdigest.co.za/tricalc.shtml

Pretty much yes, is like having your own coach right in front of you on your gps telling you what power to put out depending on where you are on the course.  Subject to weather conditions as per the historical data if you stick to the power numbers, you should finish the cycle leg in the predicted time and still have something in the legs for the run and bunkers hill..... although bunkers is more of a mind game!! lol

Exactly

Load the course on your Garmin when you are prepping your bike in the morning.

Then set it to your normal data page

Whenever you hit a segment it will tell you what power to hold.

You can test it by developing your own "home" course on mapmyride, and importing that into BestBikeSplit.

I'm gonna do that for the GP TT champs route the weekend

No practice swim the day before  - Got canned from the ironman offices due to safety becuase of construction at the orient beach

Oh no. Was really looking forward to this. Have not done a sea swim yet (except for some swimming when I am snorkeling, but usually from a boat). Wanted to do two or so to settle the nerves. 

Any other spots where we can do a swim? 

Is this official?  Wonder if the whole beach is going to be closed?

No practice swim the day before  - Got canned from the ironman offices due to safety becuase of construction at the orient beach