Mounting a baby (seat) on a bike

Rachmaninoff

Hi guys

My little man is 18 months old and a while back I took him to Sea Point and rented one of those Up Cycle bikes. He smiled from ear to ear for the whole hour we had the bike.

So I caved and bought an old Peugeot and child carrier (giant) to take him on more rides. 

I'll be the first to admit that I've got ten thumbs when it comes to handyman jobs so some installation advice would be grand: The bike rack part of the carrier is meant to mount on the back wheel, but there doesn't seem to be enough space/the skewer is too short.

Does one get longer skewers especially for this or am I just missing something simple?

Thanks!

I bought the Giant baby seat for my lightie. Came with plenty bolts, nuts and mounting options. NON of which worked properly on the 3 mtbs I could have used. Ended up getting an old steel mtb and modifying it to take this seat. In hind sight its probably better as now the seat stays on this bike and I can still ride the others as I wish. But it was still a mission getting it all lined up and secured properly. I can take pictures later when I get home if you want.

EDIT: I didn't modify the bike itself. Just modified how they say it gets attached. I used a few more of their mounts than what they recommend.

Edited by Long Wheel Base

I bought the Giant baby seat for my lightie. Came with plenty bolts, nuts and mounting options. NON of which worked properly on the 3 mtbs I could have used. Ended up getting an old steel mtb and modifying it to take this seat. In hind sight its probably better as now the seat stays on this bike and I can still ride the others as I wish. But it was still a mission getting it all lined up and secured properly. I can take pictures later when I get home if you want.

EDIT: I didn't modify the bike itself. Just modified how they say it gets attached. I used a few more of their mounts than what they recommend.

Thanks, LWB. I got the seat second hand so am unsure if it came with all the bolts and nuts, but if it takes a bit of manipulating like you mention, maybe it's best I pop into a LBS and get some help there.

Thanks, LWB. I got the seat second hand so am unsure if it came with all the bolts and nuts, but if it takes a bit of manipulating like you mention, maybe it's best I pop into a LBS and get some help there.

There were two little holes in the frame above the Skewer on my old Cannondale which I think was meant for a rack or something. Anyway I found that the Giant Seat Rack fitted perfectly onto that.

Sorry don`t have pics or that bike anymore.

There were two little holes in the frame above the Skewer on my old Cannondale which I think was meant for a rack or something. Anyway I found that the Giant Seat Rack fitted perfectly onto that.

Sorry don`t have pics or that bike anymore.

Thanks man. I can't recall seeing said holes in the frame but will check it out tonight – might well have missed it!

trying to sell our giant baby seat.

turns out silverback 29ers dont have bosses for the attachments.

This whole 29er fad is making the selling of this thing tricky !

trying to sell our giant baby seat.

turns out silverback 29ers dont have bosses for the attachments.

This whole 29er fad is making the selling of this thing tricky !

Pm inbound