200 Miles to Midmar 2018

Jigghead

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the next challenge?

Firstly, way to go on your Robben Island crossing, that's on my list but being landlocked up here in JHB, I'm not sure where I'm gonna get much ocean practice in.

It's a big bucket list item though.

maybe next year I'll join you for the 8 mile

Do it, it's a thoroughly enjoyable event and an awesome cause. I'm definitely going to be doing it again. I am however toying with a 16 Mile attempt next year.

It's the 8 Mile except instead of catching a boat back to the start, we swim. This year 12 swimmers made took part in the 16 Mile, it's certainly something to ponder.

Hope you make it to Midmar, it's really fantastic.

thanks, I was wondering how the 16 mile worked

They guys look properly tired at the end of it all. Must say, it’s a big task.

• 1 month later...

if you do consider doing the 16 mile next year please let me know. Having motivation and trying to match someone else's training could be great motivation for me anyway.

I’ve put my name down. So let’s see if they let me in, most certainly another 8 Mile though, so we should match our training

I'm keen

I'm thinking of aiming to do the robben island double at the end of this year so any training motivation will be good.

I have emailed the organisers as well for information on getting my name down again

Check your PM

Jigghead,

How does one enter the 8 mile event?

Thinking of giving it a go next year

• 1 year later...

Hello Hubbers,

It's been a while since I last posted anything to do with Midmar 8 Mile Club. In fact, I've been begging for money for CHOC for so long that last year I put all the required cash in myself (around R20K), in order to give everyone a breather from my persistent fund raising.

This year is a special 8 Mile Swim for me as it marks my 5th entry into this event. I've set my target at R50,000 and have to date managed around R20,000 of this. I need another R30K

In years gone by, I've swam 1 mile for every R100 donated, but work has precluded me from putting in that sort of time in the water. So this year, I decided to do something different.

I will match every donation, up to a total match of R20,000. So, if you donate to CHOC, I will match your donation, simple as that. You can follow this link: https://kydrin.co.za/goals/763 and see that I've already matched around R8,500 this year.

Some of the donations that I matched do not show up on this fundraising website as my employer has agreed to match any donation made by a staff member. So those who I work with will have had their donations matched twice.

In short, there's another R11,500 or so that I will match for anyone who wants to chip in. Please help Hubbers. Some CHOC stats for you:

1736 Children in their care

CHOC offers basic necessities such as Carebags, nutritional support (food parcels) and bereavement support to the children and their families.

2 448 bed nights to 2514 individuals

CHOC accommodation facilities offer a home away from home for children and their parents/caregivers during treatment and follow up visits.

435 families receive psychosocial support

The psychosocial team bring much needed support to children, parents and family members, as well as support to the medical and nursing staff.

So go ahead, let me match your donation. Please, I really need to get to R50,000... 

Edited by Jigghead

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...