Pyga Stage mini Max or 2018 Specialized Camber comp carbon 29er?

Buffet

Its like choosing between a Porche and a Ferrari. Finding it damn near impossible!

Both bikes would come in with GX 12 speed and Rock shox Revelation. Similar alloy wheels. Stage mini max is 110mm rear and 130mm front travel. Camber is 120mm all round. Stage is full carbon & Camber front triangle carbon, rear alloy.

Would come in at very similar price, Stage around 5 grand more...

Test rode both. Stage feels a bit faster, very stable and sure footed. Very efficient. Climbs like a beast.

Camber is more nimble, very flickable and perhaps a bit more fun in the twisties. Climbs like a demon eventhough its heavier but not as stable on jumps and decents. They are both great fun and awesome bikes. Loved them both.

What other factors should I consider? This is a very stressfull first world problem. ????

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its like choosing between a Porche and a Ferrari. Finding it damn near impossible!

Both bikes would come in with GX 12 speed and Rock shox Revelation. Similar alloy wheels. Stage mini max is 110mm rear and 130mm front travel. Camber is 120mm all round. Stage is full carbon & Camber front triangle carbon, rear alloy.

Would come in at very similar price, Stage around 5 grand more...

Test rode both. Stage feels a bit faster, very stable and sure footed. Very efficient. Climbs like a beast.

Camber is more nimble, very flickable and perhaps a bit more fun in the twisties. Climbs like a demon eventhough its heavier but not as stable on jumps and decents. They are both great fun and awesome bikes. Loved them both.

What other factors should I consider? This is a very stressfull first world problem. [emoji1]

Now wait for the first comment to go for something different, despite you already narrowing it down to these 2. [emoji6]

Go with the bike where the retailer impressed you the most. After sales support is crucial when it comes to a high end bike like this. If any of them are willing to give you a demo bike for a weekend while your bike is being seen to or makes a mean coffee while you wait to pick up your bike, you know what to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Type of riding would be just having a blast around the trails of Cape Town and doing the odd race a few time a year just for the fun of it.

Edited by Buffet

They from the same dealer! ????

If I start considering more bikes I'm gonna lose my marbles and my wife will probably end up leaving...

Well in my opionion I would go for the Stage: 

With a bit of coin in the future you can buy the linkage and shock and make it a full MAX, 

Same thing to go down to a std Stage.. 

Essentially 3 bikes in one. 

Ive seen Grant Usher use his for the Epic, then a couple of weeks later in full max mode at Hakhanna for the enduro there... awesome! 

Very versatile bit of kit! Wonderful to ride and great local support. 

To me it seems like another "cake or death" bike choice. I'd choose cake.

And by cake I mean the stage. However, I am extremely biased.

Choose which ever one makes your bits tingle.

What the nerd said makes brilliant sense. And in the future as we change so does the type of riding we do,it makes this sound like a solid option. Failing that,if they both make perfect sense to you it's simple,which one pulls on your heart strings more?

It's an emotional purchase after all.

Edited by Pikey

Camber.

Many reasons. But they may not all be relevant to you. I love my Camber

I like the Swat door. The Camber is a do it all bike and rides like a dream. Specialized is a great brand and it is proven in the lifetime warranty. My LBS is a Specialized dealer and I get great service from them.

I have read great things about the Pyga...about all of them and I must admit that some of them are not bad looking bikes but - and I will probably get crucified for this - I just don't like them. Very much a personal opinion.

Lots of good advice. Had my heart set on the pyga but the camber really does handle a bit better, less stable but more fun in chucking it around on tight single track. Its feels like a 26 inch bike during manoevers, only better. The pyga however gives a feeling of sure footedness and confidence with no energy wastage. Its got a great rear suspension design. The two water bottles in the front triangle is a big plus as well. Camber only has one bottle and its an absolute pain to get it in and out, very little space where it sits under the shock.

Its amazing how well and effecient these bikes ride. My current bike is a 2010 giant anthem 26inch, the difference is staggering!

The two water bottles in the front triangle is a big plus as well. Camber only has one bottle and its an absolute pain to get it in and out, very little space where it sits under the shock.

Its amazing how well and effecient these bikes ride. My current bike is a 2010 giant anthem 26inch, the difference is staggering!

I have the camber all you need to do to solve the water bottle issue is get  the side mounted bottle cage.  Works like a dream.

Lots of good advice. Had my heart set on the pyga but the camber really does handle a bit better, less stable but more fun in chucking it around on tight single track. Its feels like a 26 inch bike during manoevers, only better. The pyga however gives a feeling of sure footedness and confidence with no energy wastage. Its got a great rear suspension design. The two water bottles in the front triangle is a big plus as well. Camber only has one bottle and its an absolute pain to get it in and out, very little space where it sits under the shock.

Buy the Stage, it sounds like you've already decided anyway. ;) Camber is a really nice package, but the Stage gives you more options in the long term.