Cyclists attacked Cape Town 8th October

cadenceblur

Hi Guys. I'm one of the unlucky ones this morning that got bike jacked on Jan Smuts drive between the N2 and Epping turnoff. We were on the way to Franschoek. 12 of us. When we saw the guys they looked as if they wanted to cross the road. A few of the guys passed and then thugs drew their knives and ran into us. They caught the tail end of the group and pushed us over, grabbed 3 of our bikes and fled towards the railway lines into Langa. 2 of us hit the ground pretty hard. we both got transported to Vincent Palloti, had xray's done and was lucky enough to be discharged after about 2 hours. It could of been so much worse if they had to try and stab us or swing that massive knife/panga at us.3 of our bikes were taken. i have attached 2 pics, waiting on the 3rd.

1st bike specs : Scott CR1 custom spray job by Bogus. black on black. Mavic R-SYS wheels. Full Ultegra 11spd gruppo. Garmin 520. Look Keo pedals. Saddle bag, black carbon water cages. old yellow type Racetec chip on front wheel. Lezyne front light holder. 

2nd Bike: Focus black Rotor crankset. American Classic wheels. Sram Gruppo.

3rd Bike : Bianchi ( will post more details asap)

post-25269-0-00100800-1507464484_thumb.jpg

post-25269-0-40456400-1507466971_thumb.jpg

post-25269-0-08593900-1507466995_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cappi

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cappi. Glad you guys are ok. We will probably be looking at an alternate route from now on through Pinelands itself. We just have to be more vigilant it seems. Our team also just passed there this morning just before your guys. Heal up.

Is stayed in an apartment in pinelands overlooking the area and saw muggings there twice before on jam Smuts. They tend to hang out in the bushes at the railway line and pounce on folks who pass (joggers, cyclists etc.)- called police and they've responded quickly but those okes have a very strategic spot for escaping.

Avoid that stretch okes if you can. You just too exposed in that area.

Really glad that no one got hurt.

What the actual f...

Sorry to hear this.. This is just crazy.. The result of an impotent police force allowing **** like this to happen so easily

Is stayed in an apartment in pinelands overlooking the area and saw muggings there twice before on jam Smuts. They tend to hang out in the bushes at the railway line and pounce on folks who pass (joggers, cyclists etc.)- called police and they've responded quickly but those okes have a very strategic spot for escaping.

Avoid that stretch okes if you can. You just too exposed in that area.

Really glad that no one got hurt.

noted thanks.

Cappi.

Just glad you guys did not get seriously hurt.

Wish there was a way that these muthers can be baited/caught and then taken to a secluded spot for a little "talk"  :cursing:

Sorry to hear guys. 

I have always wanted to ride through there, but never had the courage to just because of the location.

Please be more vigilant. rather bunch up when approaching people in a remote area.

I have to agree. Stellenbocsh is becomming a no go zone, the south seems just as dangerous. In the mountains they are string fish line and wire between trees. 

Where the **** are suppose to cycle and be safe?? Every time I ask myself this question, the only answer I can think of is the track. But for how long?? There you are also semi alone.  Ag I don't know. 

think I should sell my bike and focus on my xbox in my jail cell I call home.