Cyclists attacked Cape Town 8th October

cadenceblur

Not a good scenario at all - no more safety in numbers?

As for Mr X - he was going potty about water elsewhere - I don't think he knows where the Comic Sans font is.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a good scenario at all - no more safety in numbers?

Think about it. Were we ever safe in numbers?

What we need here is to stop the quarrels, politics and negative feedback.

Let's all stand together to get rid of these F**kers and take back our roads and riding places!

Ok. 

How?

why do you say that?

We all know that the ride was cancelled using the high winds as an excuse. Not everyone is stupid enough to believe the race spin.

Mod Note:

While allowing threads to move and shift in direction where it serves the overall discussion well, pushing political agenda's as a means to hijack threads to bait and incite will not be tolerated on the Bike Hub.

Consider this a general warning to all members.

It saddened me to read of this attack. It saddens me because my bicycle has always been my means of escape from the realities of life. It’s my  “tablet for depression”, my “magic bullet”, a way to let go of what’s happening in life for a few hours and just experience the freedom that riding a bicycle allows you.

This now is also being taken away from us because forethought and planning now needs to go into how, when and where you can ride your bike. The days where you can simply hop on your bike and disappear for a while are fast coming to an end. How terribly sad for us and for SA.

All the best to the guys attacked, I hope you all make full recoveries and that this doesn’t stop you from enjoying your sport although I know a simple training ride will never be the same again.

Extremely sad, as we are limited, kept prisoner as to what and where we can go and do. 

Same like when finding someone on your property, you cant do anything according to the law. But what about our rights to go somewhere, do something!! What about our safety and security, or is that department also just another hiding in the closet.

The reality is that the Cape would have been better off with the ANC. Less people and no development means enough water. The water situation has made the Cape 1 of the worst cities in the world, at the moment I will be happy to live in any city that has water. The DA has screwed up worse than what the ANC has ever screwed up.

Once again, water usage has actually leveled off since 1999, despite a 50% increase in population.

slightly off topic but...

but surely should affect us cycling there or tokai

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/western-cape/foreign-film-crew-robbed-at-silvermine-11523505

That's a lot of extremely pricey equipment stolen, probably all rental kit, ouch.

Hope the guys that were hurt heal up quickly, both physically and emotionally, hectic one.

Faksakes, only in Sa is going for a ride like entering a warzone, okes I'm going for a ride, cool just be careful of the guys with guns/knives/pangas.

I suppose the safety in numbers comes from the idea that, if attacked by one or two robbers, the majority would repel boarders using whatever weapons and ammunition was available - bricks, stones, sticks, pepper spray, bikes who knows. But against panga wielders, you'd take casualties. Maybe best to meekly hand over.

Mod Note:

While allowing threads to move and shift in direction where it serves the overall discussion well, pushing political agenda's as a means to hijack threads to bait and incite will not be tolerated on the Bike Hub.

Consider this a general warning to all members.

I did not even take part in this discussion and i get a warning.....;-)

I suppose the safety in numbers comes from the idea that, if attacked by one or two robbers, the majority would repel boarders using whatever weapons and ammunition was available - bricks, stones, sticks, pepper spray, bikes who knows. But against panga wielders, you'd take casualties. Maybe best to meekly hand over.

Too be fair, there are very few scenarios in which any cyclist would be safe from 5 thugs with pangas in a planned robbery.

Riding in groups would still keep you safe from most opportunistic muggings, not least because there would be easier targets out there.

I think we have to accept that in this country we are not safe doing anything in a public space. The gun carry topic has been discussed many times, with many differing opinions, and most seem to agree that carrying a gun while riding alone is probably risky.

However, I have been involved in several group rides of 6 - 10 riders, where we have designated one competent gun handler as a carrier. Everyone in the group knows he is carrying, and we make sure he is always placed in the best protected position in the group, in areas of high risk.

In my opinion this is a workable solution, and I have felt very secure knowing that if anything hits the fan, we at least have a fighting chance of repelling armed attackers. It's not ideal, but neither are our living conditions in this country.

I think we have to accept that in this country we are not safe doing anything in a public space. The gun carry topic has been discussed many times, with many differing opinions, and most seem to agree that carrying a gun while riding alone is probably risky.

However, I have been involved in several group rides of 6 - 10 riders, where we have designated one competent gun handler as a carrier. Everyone in the group knows he is carrying, and we make sure he is always placed in the best protected position in the group, in areas of high risk.

In my opinion this is a workable solution, and I have felt very secure knowing that if anything hits the fan, we at least have a fighting chance of repelling armed attackers. It's not ideal, but neither are our living conditions in this country.

Anyone else have similar methods their groups, no matter how small, are employing? 

Edit: by similar I mean anything that is a working solution - with a planned MO should something happen.

Edited by (Deon)