New purchase : Clinchers versus Tubulars

seanp

Hi all

I am currently considering making my first significant road wheelset purchase.

Up to now i've only used entry level clinchers; e.g. Mavic Aksium and its equivalents. I think it's about time to spoil myself with a "finer" wheelset.

Before I even start on the various brands, materials and wheel profiles, a question.

Should I be even be considering a tubular wheelset?

Not too many years back, there was a saying "train on clinchers, race on tubulars".

Does this still hold true?

Please consider, I am by no means a racer; I cycle purely for the enjoyment of the ride and the bicycle.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Tubulars when you can raise your arm, for the team car to come and change your wheel.

I take it, it's still seen as more expensive maintenance wise and time wise, what with the gluing.

Regarding maintenance, do tubulars give you more km's than C linchers?

Unless you're winning they may be more trouble than they worth IMO and unless you have some sort of backup at races and training, as CAAD4 has mentioned, give it a miss?

Having said all of that even though I'm a hacker and amble around midfield somewhere I have a set and there is just something about riding tubbies that feels different ( faster? [emoji39]). As much as it's uncool and a bit of a shlep I carry a spare pre-glued tubby and it saved my backside at R4V a few weeks ago.

They also look the dogs you know what's! [emoji41]

Sent from my LG-D958 using Tapatalk

There is no (sane) reason for the average racer to ride tubular.  Like straight pull spokes they make for interesting discussions but that is where it ends.  A nice wide carbon rim with clinchers and 25mm tires if you really want that tubular feel.  

I don't fit tubbies in my workshop any more.  It is not that they are difficult it is just that at a labour cost of R450 per hour the bill gets steep!

IMHO for someone like yourself it's a waste. You wouldn't feel the difference between tubbies and 25c clinchers paired with a nice set of carbon hoops. You get some very nice light clinchers these days.

Easy one: clinchers. The reason for that saying was purely due to weight and although there is still a difference in weight between most tubulars and clinchers the gap has narrowed. Plus you get some excellent clincher offerings that come tubeless ready.

I've become a fan of American Classic wheels for their features vs price point. Take their Argent  Tubeless for instance. 

• 1392g (that's carbon territory)
  • R9,995.00
  • Tubeless
  • Disc option available
  • Good internal width to run wider tyres if wanted

I'm still a big fan of stealth black (read carbon) wheels, but at that price and with those features it almost doesn't make sense to get anything else unless you really need to go even lighter. 

Back to the question: go clincher and consider your options from there.

Definitely go for a nice set of carbon clinchers.

I used to race on tubbies, but without a team vehicle, I ended up stranded on the side of the road on more than one occasion.

Clinchers are just much easier as you are able to simply change a tube if you get a puncture, whereas with tubbies, you will need to carry an entire extra tubby which has been pre-glued.

These days, some of the high end carbon clinchers are starting to approach the weights of the tubby wheels.

Please consider, I am by no means a racer; I cycle purely for the enjoyment of the ride and the bicycle.

Clinchers, puncher, spare tube, carry on! 

After many seasons on tubs, I recommend clinchers.

Carbon clinchers have really improved in quality.

Well worth it.

For racing the Tubs still feel better to me, but otherwise my new Giant SLR carbon wheelset feels great with clinchers (want to run tubeless soon as it is compatible then it should be on par with tubbies)

For racing the Tubs still feel better to me, but otherwise my new Giant SLR carbon wheelset feels great with clinchers (want to run tubeless soon as it is compatible then it should be on par with tubbies)

Nothing beats the feel of tubs hey

????

Hi guys

Many thanks for all your inputs.

Its settled then. Clinchers it will be.  :clap:

The decision on the final buy is getting narrowed down. I've eliminated deep-section wheels.

I'm kinda leaning towards the lower to medium height profile with a maximum height of 35mm.

So decision here will be if i go for a lower 24mm to 27mm or a medium profile up to 35mm.

I see most of you seem to prefer the carbon clincher. I'll have a look at that but i won't be eliminating the aluminium clinchers as yet. 

Once again, many thanks for your contributions.

Token really have some great wheels at very reasonable prices!

Yeah they do, but Warren will undo all the good clincher work that has been done here and try to convince OP that tubbies are the way to go.

Edited by Patchelicious