Bike to bike communication

bernardbravenboer

I've searched around a bit but can't find anything out there (from the last 3 years), so I'm assuming I might be going nuts. 

My GF and I ride together, but through the wind and (sometimes some) distance it gets very hard to talk or communicate during the ride. Other than the safety concerns it also just makes it less enjoyable. 

I've been looking around for a cycling specific bluetooth or intercom type headset, but it doesn't really seem to be a thing. Am I being crazy / is there no need for this out there? What are you guys doing - just enjoying the silence? ;) 

When I decide to ride with someone that is slower than me I normally just stay with them otherwise I rdie on my own or with faster people.

You don't need it.

But Parrot and Scala rider make for motorcycle helmets also link to phone for bluetooth for music and phones

I've searched around a bit but can't find anything out there (from the last 3 years), so I'm assuming I might be going nuts. 

My GF and I ride together, but through the wind and (sometimes some) distance it gets very hard to talk or communicate during the ride. Other than the safety concerns it also just makes it less enjoyable. 

I've been looking around for a cycling specific bluetooth or intercom type headset, but it doesn't really seem to be a thing. Am I being crazy / is there no need for this out there? What are you guys doing - just enjoying the silence? ;)

Welcome to the hub :P

There are some kick starter helmets out there but they are rather pricey. 

Things that help: Sit on front in the wind, then chat after that. 

Do hill repeats, this way always on the same part of road so is safer, when doing intervals you cant talk anyway. 

Make sure you are both on road bikes :P

The coffee at Strolla is where a lot of chatting goes down.

So it seems like i am indeed a little crazy ;) 

Maybe our frame of reference is a little b0rked: we are used to running ultra marathons together, so long rides / runs = lots of talking... 

It just seems to me like a fairly uncomplicated tech requirement (basicallly a small 2-way radio), or even a bluetooth device that tethers from your phone. I'll give up the search for now... 

So it seems like i am indeed a little crazy ;)

Maybe our frame of reference is a little b0rked: we are used to running ultra marathons together, so long rides / runs = lots of talking... 

It just seems to me like a fairly uncomplicated tech requirement (basicallly a small 2-way radio), or even a bluetooth device that tethers from your phone. I'll give up the search for now... 

If you looking for small 2-way radios that aren't too expensive, you can have a look at the Zartek radios, Locally made and not too expensive. You can pick them up from Cape Union Mart or Trappers or the like. 

We use them for umpiring hockey, and they are pretty good. They come with a charger and push-to-talk earpieces and microphones and they are relatively small. Look for the Com-8 model. The super pack comes with all you need, and it will set you back about R 1150.

I don't know how well this works, but:

https://www.amazon.com/Vertix-Cycling-Intercom-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B015VYSR7C

Also, there are a few motorbike products:

http://www.bike2bike.co.za/c1/Motorbike-headsets.aspx