How to clean carbon matte finish bikes

Dullscalpel

Hey guys!

My new bike is a beautiful white carbon matte finish. I have quickly learnt that the white picks up dirt and marks super easily - she needs a clean after every ride! What do you suggest I use to clean the marks off, without damaging the frame, or affecting the colour?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be very careful when cleaning or "polishing" because you can potentially polish the matt into semi gloss very easily with aggressive cleaning.

I'd only use a degreaser to clean it, like prepsol or kleenex green, with a microfiber cloth, if you are not shy to spend money then probably Muc-off would be the best, marginally .

Seeing it's white don't leave stains on it for extended periods, if you get oil/grease/red mud etc clean it off asap, that's if you are ocd and want the bike to maintain its pristine pearly white finish.

Stay away from dishwashing liquid. The formula contains a lot of salt which is used to add viscosity. Salt will damage the top coat of the paint and you'll have a bad time. Ever seen a car with splotches of clear coat missing? That's cause they used sunlight to clean it.

For Matte finishes, water, and a good microfiber cloth (I am partial to the 3m branded ones) will clean off anything you might have on there. For the odd bit of grease or lube spilled on the frame, some car specific wash will work well.

Over time though, it will get slightly less Matte, so ease up on the mechanical action and stay away from chemical where possible.

As Drago said

Water and microfibre cloth. If you need ti get other muck off, use degreaser or car wash (not polish combo).

Don't use any polish/Mr Min etc. on matt finish, you will soon have a low gloss effect.

I use Mr Min on all my bikes, but from experince I've learned never to use it on matt finihes again.

No sunlight liquid.

ive used mr min to clean my matte finish de rosa SK for 4 years

the finish is exactly the same as the day I got it - no shine or gloss effect at all

maybe it just messes up cheap paint jobs :ph34r: 

Stay away from dishwashing liquid. The formula contains a lot of salt which is used to add viscosity. Salt will damage the top coat of the paint and you'll have a bad time. Ever seen a car with splotches of clear coat missing? That's cause they used sunlight to clean it.

For Matte finishes, water, and a good microfiber cloth (I am partial to the 3m branded ones) will clean off anything you might have on there. For the odd bit of grease or lube spilled on the frame, some car specific wash will work well.

Over time though, it will get slightly less Matte, so ease up on the mechanical action and stay away from chemical where possible.

Where did you hear/see that?

give it a solid wipe with paint stripper and then respray.

best way to ensure it does not scratch

give it a solid wipe with paint stripper and then respray.

best way to ensure it does not scratch

There is always one. May as well recommend a belt sander or a weed-eater to get off the tougher marks

• 3 years later...