How to clean carbon matte finish bikes

Dullscalpel

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Matt frames need special care. This is a bit of an advertorial but it does cover the basics nicely.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/meguiars-matte-finish-care/

Edit: The key is to avoid getting it scratched cos once it scratched there is no way to remove it.

Edit: I normally recommend ceramic coating matt frames to my customers. It adds a nice hydrophobic layer to the frame which is way easier to clean. Hell I recommend it to all my white bike customers.

There is a SA agent if you need the details.

Edited by Eldron

Hey guys/girls. 

Interesting comments. Excuse my ignorance, but by "matt carbon frame" you mean a frame that hasn't been painted, and the carbon is just "sealed"?

I have a carbon bike that is painted (Scott), the other one isn't and the frame simply has a "dull matt look" to it... So this would be what you are talking about? (BTW: the bike is a 2020 Merida Ninety-Six 9000) 

I have often wondered what to clean it with, and I normally give it a wash down, or wipe down (using a damp cloth, or degreaser if it is filthy), and then use a beeswax product on it which makes the carbon look a little darker and shiny.

Edited by Mark James

I have this sticker on my matte black carbon Cube. I use a constant light spray of water and a soft sponge followed by a chamois. 

post-147686-0-96876400-1616047920_thumb.jpeg

Edited by NicholasT

Hell I recommend it to all my white bike customers.

Mmm, would that now be all your white customers with bikes, or all your customers with white bikes? We wouldn't want the cancel mob closing you down, now would we?  :D  :D

Mmm, would that now be all your white customers with bikes, or all your customers with white bikes? We wouldn't want the cancel mob closing you down, now would we?  :D  :D

Hahahaha grammar matters :-)

Matt frames need special care. This is a bit of an advertorial but it does cover the basics nicely.

https://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/meguiars-matte-finish-care/

Edit: The key is to avoid getting it scratched cos once it scratched there is no way to remove it.

Edit: I normally recommend ceramic coating matt frames to my customers. It adds a nice hydrophobic layer to the frame which is way easier to clean. Hell I recommend it to all my white bike customers.

There is a SA agent if you need the details.

Details please of SA agent?

rule number 1 , dont buy a matt bike they are a pain in the ass to clean.

you end up trying so many different cleaning compounds , detergents ect ect then the paint goes funny and we run for a warranty .

anyways my experience , now I buy gloss bikes , no issues .

if it must be cleaned after every ride, try wet wipes, i use that for my bike after a ride.

This.  :thumbup:

car shampoo (if theres water)

but as there isn't any left here - Mr Min :thumbup: for the win

I ride a matt black Cannondale Supersix Evo Stealth edition and read somewhere NEVER to use a Mr Min type product. I use an environmentally kind degreaser sometimes, mostly just a damp microfibre cloth

I found Harley Davidson Denim paint cleaner to work like a charm. Just spray onto a dry cloth and wipe the frame down. Its not that expensive, R120 I think and available at HD dealerships.

post-58820-0-01410700-1616089330_thumb.jpg

post-58820-0-02370900-1616089356_thumb.jpeg

I found Harley Davidson Denim paint cleaner to work like a charm. Just spray onto a dry cloth and wipe the frame down. Its not that expensive, R120 I think and available at HD dealerships.

And suddenly your bike is a lot slower and louder ????

I can vouch for that stuff though. It does work and a bottle will last quite a long time.