1x groupset with 2x crank

Bitsy

Hello guys,

I have a fill Shimano XT  groupset and crank (2x) at the moment (11 speed M8000).

My rear derailer took a knock and the shifting on the  cassette is now sometimes erratic. Long story short- looks like I now need to replace it. 

Could i purchase a 1X groupset (SHIMANO XT M8000 11SP UPGRADE KIT 11/46)

and keep the existing crank (just remove the small chainring)? 

Thanks.

Not aure if it will work as the front blade is a bit different in a 1x system (ie the teeth are higher to grip better and reduce the likelihood that it slips off the blade. The crank should be more than fine to use.

But I am sure someone has ridden it like that and had no problems.

Hello guys,

I have a fill Shimano XT groupset and crank (2x) at the moment (11 speed M8000).

My rear derailer took a knock and the shifting on the cassette is now sometimes erratic. Long story short- looks like I now need to replace it.

Could i purchase a 1X groupset (SHIMANO XT M8000 11SP UPGRADE KIT 11/46)

and keep the existing crank (just remove the small chainring)?

Thanks.

Ive gone 1x11 XT on my 3x10 XT crank

Why not just replace the RD if it no longer works?

This. Or if you're really wanting to go 1x, the XT crank is perfectly acceptable for that application. It's the same crank across 1x & 2x systems. You just need to get an m8000 compatible ring as it has that silly BCD.

My advice would just be to get a new RD. There's nothing wrong with 2x

Edit: do this after taking your bike in to check derailleur hanger alignment. It may just be that that's out of whack.

Edited by Myles Mayhew

There's plenty of chat on going 1xX in these pages. Worth a dig around.

Common themes are getting the chain line right, tooth profile on the chainwheel, avoiding dropping the chain (see previous tooth profile, chain guides, bash guards etc), over-cooking the RD and all sorts of other interesting stuff (particularly if like me you're a roadie, like me, playing with dirt stuff!).

Changing to a 1X11 is a pretty simple affair- or as Myles said, if the 2 x10 have worked for you in the past, just stick to it.

My advice would just be to get a new RD. There's nothing wrong with 2x

Edit: do this after taking your bike in to check derailleur hanger alignment. It may just be that that's out of whack.

What Myles says, I bend my derailleur hanger a time ago (tried to wheelie :wacko: ) and had to bend it back. After that the changing was fine, so if your hanger or derailleur is bend going 1x won't solve the problem. Just have the derailleur and hanger checked out first. There are many guys advertising who sells 1x chainrings for shimano. I was lucky enough to get a "hensteeth" 96 bcd 32T nw chainring from Kalbo.