Tyre sealant top-up

Balooba

Just a warning - if you don't take the tyre off and check every now and then you're going to get a giant alien booger.

Found some pretty spectacular specimens over the years.

Me too, like balls of coral.

I'm just concerned with running tubeless, I took my tyres off, topped up the sealant with 120ml in each tyre two weeks ago. (Tyre Juice). Yesterday after buying 2x Crossmarks from a great hubber (@Balooba) I changed my ardent with the crossmark in front, and only removed 80ml of sealant. 

My LBS advised the best sealant is Stans, but it just seems it keeps leaking. At this rate I'm gonna check it every week. Was thinking of adding the thicker Ryder or Dr Sludge to ensure I have enough sealant in the tyres, don't want to get stuck. 

Going away in November to Buffelspoort, maybe trying the 33km Magalies Monster route.

Some of the sealant will fill the holes or bead area where there may be a leak when you initially seat the tyre so it is normal for some sealant to appear to "disappear"  :huh:

My tyres usually take a few days to properely seal off and it is usually only after a good ride that they do. So adding around 120ml is a good idea cause 60-80ml would not get you far!

Just bought myself the 478ml Stan's bottle. Going to try and get my 2nd set of wheels (practice set) done tonight.

I want to see how they compare then to my other set done on the weekend (wanted to use Stan's but used the white Ryder product instead).

Think I will alternate the sets for the next month or so to see if there is a marked difference between the 2 products.

I have been running tubeless for approx 3 months now since I got my bike. I think the running costs of tubeless are often underestimated. Either that or a lot of people are running with almost no sealant in their tyres.

I have been running tubeless for approx 3 months now since I got my bike. I think the running costs of tubeless are often underestimated. Either that or a lot of people are running with almost no sealant in their tyres.

What running cost are you referring to FDP? Just the topping up of the sealant every 3 months or so?

In my very brief experience dealing with tubes was more costly, especially when you start racking up DNF's at events due to both your tubes getting cuts beyond repair.

I checked my sealant level over the weekend, and it's still pretty much where it was 300km ago.

*Edit: Just to add, before you buy sealant the next time keep an eye out for specials. I bought a 900ml some time ago from CWC for less than the 475ml retails for.

Edited by Letum911

Mostly the sealant costs.

I quickly realised that the 60ml shots from the LBS will cost me a fortune over time. Also started to add a big Stans bottle with each of my CWC orders.

Mostly the sealant costs.

I quickly realised that the 60ml shots from the LBS will cost me a fortune over time. Also started to add a big Stans bottle with each of my CWC orders.

For about +- R300 you can DIY 5l of sealant. I've been using home made sealant for more than two years, it works 100%. 

We should start a competition 

NO!!! Did you not follow the thread where a Shrek "dildo" was doing the rounds?