28 vs 32 spokes on Carbon 650B Rims

mountainfun

Hi

I'm upgrading to carbon rims.  Currently using ZTR Crests with Hope Evo Pro 2 hubs.  32 spoke count.

My question is whether I should also change hubs and drop to 28 spokes?  Weight saving probably around 30 grams (7.5g per spoke and nipple) so probably negligible.  But carbon rims probably already strong enough not even needing the extra 4 spokes.

I weight around 75kgs and do the odd jump. 

Thoughts?

Thanks

JL

Thanks, that's my view too.  Was just wondering if there might be some amazing benefit of going down to 28 spokes.

My opinion, the more the stiffer the wheel. Extra weight gain is minimal. Also consider at least 3 x spoke crossing.

In long run will have less broken spokes

Carbon rims are often a lot stiffer than alloy, which translates into quite a harsh ride. Fewer spokes laced correctly will give a little more compliance/comfort.

I have 28 spokes on 29" wheel set. Rear hub had a problem and it cost me a pretty penny as 28 spoke hubs are NOT commonly found lying around.

I have a 32 spoke set as well and they are better in the ruff stuff and there is basically no difference in weight (one set Crest and one set American Classic)