Ergomo Pro Initial Impressions

bruce

Hi All,

I have been fortunate enough to be given an Ergomo Pro to evaluate over the next couple of months.  I am a PowerTap Pro and SL user so it will be nice to compare the two systems.

The product is in the process of being launched in S.A. so it will join the established brands PowerTap, SRM, and Polar.

The unit was installed on my race bike last night.  I will do a couple of rides with both my powertap and the Ergomo to ensure that the power data is sufficiently accurate.  All my training is based on power, so changing systems will cause problems if there are significant variances between the two systems.

Initially I can say the following about the product:

The overall packaging and quality are of a very high standard.  The unit comes in a metal case which gives a good impression.

A lot of thought has been given to the consumer usage of the device.  For example, the computer link is a serial link, however, a usb/serial converter is supplied with the product.

There are a number of features that I am looking forward to trying out:

Altimeter ride profile.  I miss this function from having had it on my polar.  It puts the ride into context for me.  From the manual it looks like the unit displays the gradient real time while you are riding.

Coded HR.

Display of current TSS and IF.  Not really sure how this is going to be useful, we'll see.

Backlit display - being able to see the display when riding in the dark.

I believe the unit provides a "rolling average" feature which allows to to see your average power over a shorter duration - this sounds quite useful for pacing in a TT type situation.

Anyway, once I've had a chance to use the device I will post more details.

That's correct - supports ISO-Square, ISIS, and Octalink in British and Italian threads (just read the box Wink)

unfortunately i dont have the box (yet!),  but have seen some ads in magazines on this one.

just looking on the net now & it looks pretty good - price still high - $1,600

Dr. Seuss2006-10-12 01:59:45

what Cranks are you running with teh Ergomo Bruce?

My bike was Dura Ace, so I put on the Carbon Ergomo cranks.  They look like FSA's, wouldn't surprise me if they were.

So are they commercially available in SA yet?

The first lot have been imported.  I will ask the agent what the status is.

and Price please!!! and which is the better of the two, performance/price wise, pretty please!!!

Howzit Bruce,

Is the agent Eamon from PMB?

Howzit Bruce' date='

Is the agent Eamon from PMB?
[/quote']

No, it's Cycletech (011) 466 9974 cycletech@telkomsa.net .  Tell him I sent you and maybe he'll let me keep it for longer Wink

and Price please!!! and which is the better of the two' date=' performance/price wise, pretty please!!![/quote']

I'd rather post the facts about the product.  I really think that there are pros and cons with all of these systems, and the one that I think is the best may not be the one that you think is the best.  With access to all the facts people are able to decide for themselves and make informed choices.

I have a great relationship with the guys who do PowerTap, and they have been nothing but superb in terms of service - and I have a great relationship with the guys bringing in the Ergomo.

I think they are both very good products but at the end of the day - how good these products are depends almost entirely on your willingness to learn how to use it properly.

Guest Michelle

Hmmm... maybe I can convince Marco to let me evaluate some Zipps too Big%20smile  Then again... maybe not Clown