deonkretch

Just had a quick look at some posts about the Cape Epic purchasing Wine2Whales and started thinking about the costs of stage racing...

Here is a quick link to a Google spreadsheet if you're interested in adding to the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_wf5OJzbYdcxKS_nkgJhvfUm87flBt_SWsBtOPSVaBU/edit?usp=sharing

This is not a post about whether it is cheap or expensive or the Rand vs Dollar debate - more about an actual comparison of what these races actually cost. (Entry fee, excluding any of your incidental extras like travel, mechanic packages, massage etc.)

Here is a quick summary of what I have so far... Rand for Rand the Joberg2C still provides great value for a longer event in terms of costs per kilometre at a low R64,51 for 2018 (With free coffee and magnificent food)  :w00t: and the Cape Epic topping out on R113.83/km (with plastic cups for water).

post-15872-0-24321600-1509020952_thumb.png

*Disclaimer: Rates are as accurate as my 2 minute Google Search provided. Accommodation and food is based on my own experience and rating (No, I don't 'bant' and I like steak, pasta and beer - probably too much!)

PS> I would love to compare some of these with the costs of doing an international race like the Trans Portugal or Trans Alp!

Edited by deonkretch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As an alternative what about doing a trip? Not a race. I've just gotten back from Italy. 7 day cycling holiday for 2 riding on and around Monte Grappa for 35k. So R5000 per day for 2.

Just a thought.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

This was covered in previous threads but for me the number of kilometers I ride in a stage has zero impact on my perception of how good value for money I'm getting (assuming the stages aren't all ridiculously short)

The R/Day I also use when choosing which stage race to do.

As an alternative what about doing a trip? Not a race. I've just gotten back from Italy. 7 day cycling holiday for 2 riding on and around Monte Grappa for 35k. So R5000 per day for 2.

Just a thought.

nail head etc. I did 12 days in the Himalayas for R23k all in. Stage races are like...meh.

Even a local trip with a group of mates beats any stage race hands down.

nail head etc. I did 12 days in the Himalayas for R23k all in. Stage races are like...meh.

Even a local trip with a group of mates beats any stage race hands down.

Also did a trip this last weekend - not quite the Himalayas, but did Karkloof, Cascades, and the Sani Pass - a mini stage race of my own. All in all (food, diesel, tolls, accommodation) came to 4k for two of us, drove from PTA). Not bad at all!

That being said - I did Berg and Bush 3 weeks ago which was an absolute treat. The two weekends aren't comparable at all, but if you cannot afford to do a stage race grab a couple of buddies, load up your bakkie, and do a weekend/long weekend trip somewhere in SA - there a plenty of awesome trails in our country!

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Also did a trip this last weekend - not quite the Himalayas, but did Karkloof, Cascades, and the Sani Pass - a mini stage race of my own. All in all (food, diesel, tolls, accommodation) came to 4k for two of us, drove from PTA). Not bad at all!

That sounds like a great trip.

That sounds like a great trip.

It was awesome.

We drove from Pta to Harrismith Friday evening and slept there. Drove to Karkloof nice and early on Sat morning and did the 30km loop there. The trails were immaculate! Coming from Gauteng I went straight for all the black stuff, and needless to say, black diamonds in Gauteng are about equivalent to Blue at Karkloof. Gotta say I nearly cr@pped myself a couple of times and had to get off a few times, but man it was fun!

After that we drove through to PMB, checked out all the history at Greg Minaar's shops - awesome experience seeing all his world cup winning bikes. We asked how to get around at cascades, and the answer was just "Go up". And man do you earn your descents. Trails were waaay above my pay grade, but once again, had a ton of fun. Rode there until about 5 and then drove through to Sani Pass Lodge where we slept Saturday night.

Sunday morning was the tough one - we did Sani Pass. The guy I cycled with climbs like a demon and finished in about 1hr 40 for the 20km climb while it took me about 3.5hours. The views were incredible, but I have to say it was the toughest day I have ever had in the saddle. The descent was well worth it though! 

After a nice shower we headed back to Pta, and arrived in time for the Sunday night movie. All in all an incredible weekend.

EDIT: Hijack off.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

Just a thought.

Sounds great - will definitely have to get some more info from you!

IMO if you want good value for money on a stage race, find a new race that is still making a name for themselves (the risk is that you are going to have to live with the growing pains). I have seen a few races start out cheap, gain a following and then entry fees skyrocket.

ie none of the established races in your list can be considered good value for money if it is just about riding your bike