deonkretch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eselfontein 3 day stage race: R1500/ team. Now that is mountain biking for everyone. 

That and Gravel & Grape is on my list for next year - together it will cost me less than half a w2w entry  :thumbup:

Self arranged trips = cheaper? PAH!!

Wait till your wife catches wind of it, invites herself along and it turns into a "hotel living only, rental car, lunches, dinners, gins, doggy hotel and gifts for the whole family" expensive palaver in no time!

Haha.

I hear you. But here are Duaney's Europe on a budget rules.

1. No Rental Cars. So you have to fly in to a place that is close to where you are staying. That does limit you admittedly

2. No bars (ok maybe one or 2)

3. Restaurant meals are to be kept to a minimum

4. Stay away from tourist traps

5. DON'T make the classic Saffer mistake by trying to do the whole of Europe in 2 weeks. Pick a spot. Preferably one with amazing riding. Set up camp and integrate.

The thought of sitting in a bus watching the world wizz by makes me want to chunder.

Next year the plan is to go to Girona. Fly in to Barcelona. Train to Girona and do what we did in Bassano this year and Morzine last year. Ride, Eat, Drink. And maybe some other stuff.

Ok Hijack off.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

I've said it before and I'll say it again , if you want to do this Rand/per km thing stop cycling cause you really ain't in it for the right reasons 

I'm down to less than 6 races a year ( just enduros ) and forcing myself to just ride my bike , why do I need to race ?

Next year will probs be 3 and it'll stay like that 

nail head etc. I did 12 days in the Himalayas for R23k all in. Stage races are like...meh.

Even a local trip with a group of mates beats any stage race hands down.

a little bit of yes and a little bit of no...

i've spent the last 8 years of holidays (and free cash) with a very predominant theme of cycling.  I've been on a few non-cycling trips, but honestly I've taken my bikes all over.  I've done quite a bit of different stuff both on road bikes, MTB's and tourers in many different countries... it's been a combination of stage races (local), local tours & trips, overseas races, overseas tours & trips ranging from mild to relatively extreme and remote.

that's the beauty of cycling, there's something special about every one of these trips, so saying that stage races are "meh"...  not quite so.  I've really enjoyed stage races and even at the price it has something special to offer.

would I spend all of my cash and leave right here in SA on going from one stage race to the next, hell no!  would i ride another stage race, sign me up!!

Great comment there Rudi.

There's so much to be gained from the sport. Whether it's doing the Epic, Banging out Bikepark laps or riding up a Col you've seen in a Grand Tour. Or even a weekend away with mates just sharing the love of riding.

And there's no one right way or wrong way to do it. Trying to measure something that is emotional in Rands per km or Rands per day is maybe not the best way of looking at it.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

i've spent the last 8 years of holidays (and free cash) with a very predominant theme of cycling.  I've been on a few non-cycling trips, but honestly I've taken my bikes all over.  I've done quite a bit of different stuff both on road bikes, MTB's and tourers in many different countries... it's been a combination of stage races (local), local tours & trips, overseas races, overseas tours & trips ranging from mild to relatively extreme and remote.

that's the beauty of cycling, there's something special about every one of these trips, so saying that stage races are "meh"...  not quite so.  I've really enjoyed stage races and even at the price it has something special to offer.

would I spend all of my cash and leave right here in SA on going from one stage race to the next, hell no!  would i ride another stage race, sign me up!!

You've hit the nail on the head here.

To just do trips, or just do stage races, or just do any one thing is kinda silly in my opinion. Each of the different types of events, whether it be bike packing, a cycling holiday with the family, stage races, road, mtb, etc... has their own flavour and offers their own experience. My advice is to try it all - obviously everyone will find their favourite types of events, and that's what they will spend most of their time and money on - but try everything at least once, you're missing out if you don't!

Wait till your wife catches wind of it, invites herself along and it turns into a "hotel living only, rental car, lunches, dinners, gins, doggy hotel and gifts for the whole family" expensive palaver in no time!

You can cut back on everything, but never, ever, cut back on the Gin!

yes true. the 'meh' was just my opinion. I don't enjoy stage races much. or any mass participation event for that matter. my wife will tell you it's just my grumpy nature coming to the fore.

why do you think I went to the Himalayas. Not a bit of luxury in sight.

Just as a matter of interest, I'm putting a group together to do the 742km Cape Cross route over 8 days next year (20 of us).

I'm taking no profit, purely for friendship and enjoyment and so far it's standing at R6.70 per kilo including all transport, self catering accommodation & meals.

There are better alternatives if you're cash strapped but I agree, stage races still have their place :thumbup:

Personal experience or just assuming that's what could happen ?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Just as a matter of interest, I'm putting a group together to do the 742km Cape Cross route over 8 days next year (20 of us).

I'm taking no profit, purely for friendship and enjoyment and so far it's standing at R6.70 per kilo including all transport, self catering accommodation & meals.

There are better alternatives if you're cash strapped but I agree, stage races still have their place :thumbup:

That is a good prize for a road trip with all in .