Graphic designers

Slowbee

Hi Guys

Any Graphic designers around ?

I need some help with resizing images, and getting them all to be the same size and format, even though the originals are all different. I need them all to have the same canvas size, and look the same size on the canvas (hence the canvas may be different size, but not sure).

I suspect I might be reaching for pie in the sky stuff, but it is worth asking.

My images are all over the place in terms of size and aspect ratio. I need them to be same so that when I import them onto the web they all look the same size and scale the same.

Is this even possible ?

Does anyone know someone I can call and chat to ?

Eddy, the scaling is not the issue, I can do all that reszing and resampling and stuff - its about figuring out how to be consistent with it across different image sizes, so they come out the same.

AND then put them on a canvas that is the same size, so that when they go onto the website they are all the same size.

I'm a graphic designer. The first thing you need to do is to see if the pictures will actually be able to be printed at the size you require.

You typically print at 300 dpi. If you're pics are below that resolution, you can bump up the resolution without (much) loss of quality (double the resolution, you halve the pic size)

Format wise, if the pics are in an uncompressed format ideally you should be looking output to tiff. If you're dealing with jpg (which is compressed) - leave it in that and just make sure you don't compress further.

Hi Guys

Any Graphic designers around ?

I need some help with resizing images, and getting them all to be the same size and format, even though the originals are all different. I need them all to have the same canvas size, and look the same size on the canvas (hence the canvas may be different size, but not sure).

I suspect I might be reaching for pie in the sky stuff, but it is worth asking.

My images are all over the place in terms of size and aspect ratio. I need them to be same so that when I import them onto the web they all look the same size and scale the same.

Is this even possible ?

Does anyone know someone I can call and chat to ?

Give me a shout if you don't come right... what you are asking is very simple and easy  ;)

Ok, guys.

So here is the thing, its an e-commerce site.

One supplier has provided me with images that are different sizes, 2000x2000 or 400x700 etc.

The problem is each of these has a white border, so the "actual product", when cropped is now a different size.

And then each of these needs to be formatted to be the correct size with the correct white border so they are the same size when placed on the e-commerce page.

As for the number of images, about 400 or so.

Still pie in the sky stuff?

I'm a graphic designer. The first thing you need to do is to see if the pictures will actually be able to be printed at the size you require.

You typically print at 300 dpi. If you're pics are below that resolution, you can bump up the resolution without (much) loss of quality (double the resolution, you halve the pic size)

Format wise, if the pics are in an uncompressed format ideally you should be looking output to tiff. If you're dealing with jpg (which is compressed) - leave it in that and just make sure you don't compress further.

Oops. You didn't read the brief. Req is for web. (..and safe printing (even litho) at 100% scale is around 125ppi. You could allow 200% increase from a 300ppi image without loss of quality. Increasing res as you've pointed out is voodoo and should be avoided without dedicated scaling apps..)

Slow, best first step is to ensure you're not upscaling too many images by too much. Start by finding the smallest and judge what is needed to get it to the largest scale you need. Some images may not work out too well due to their initial size however. 

Photoshop does batching quite well but when the process starts running, you won't know the result until it is complete. I'd be happy to help but be warned, different scales from multiple sources is a hefty task. I could help take a big bite into the batch. What remains would most likely be the manual sorting. With enough luck, this would not be too many.

Edit: just saw more detail in your other post. One can build scaling into a batch with option to manually adjust the product based on a "set", also created in the batch. 

Edited by (Deon)

I would start by organising the pics into folders according to the various sizes (640x480 landscape, 480x640 portrait etc etc). Then setting up a automated task in Photoshop for each batch. That could take some time depending on the amount of batches, but once that's done the output should be fairly quick to do.

I hate explaining such things over type. Its hard for me.

From what I gather you have multiple images in multiple resolutions and aspect ratios. They also have silly white borders that you don't want. So you want to crop every image and scale cropped image to a particular format without losing the aspect ratio. If you have any hopes of automating batches in photoshop. You have to sort your files. 

In mac just use the finder in list view. (detailed view for windows) You'll have to add the criterior (image width etc) since its not there to begin with. Once you've done that, sort them in that folder. Then move images with identical resolutions to a new and different folder respectively if that makes sense. So that you have one folder with all the 1024x768 images and another folder for the 1080p ones and so on and so forth.

Then open one of the files in photoshop. Under that actions tab add a new action. Call it what ever ('crop' makes sense) and crop your image. Then stop the action it just recorded and close your file without saving. Now you have the photoshop app open with no files. Go to file, select automate and then batch. The 'crop' action you recorded earlier should be listed on top. Make sure its selected and check the other boxes like output folder etc before starting. Then let photoshop do its thing. Since we talking 400 images I would split up the process in batches. Unless you're running threadripper with **** loads of fast ram. Or the app will freeze. 

If you need to do more than crop. You could automate multiple actions that were previously recorded with the first file you opened. But again. This all hinges on your file sorting. 

Try and do that first before we talk about scaling.

The rule of thumb is that you can scale down indefinitely without loss of fidelity. But scaling up is limited depending on your source image. There are several ways in which photoshop handles upscaling to minimize loss of fidelity. None of them are full proof and I try to avoid it all together. I would sooner re-shoot a source images at a decent ppi to start with because upscaling is just such a *** way to work. Its a compromise that makes me cringe. However, since your images are for a website you really don't need it to be that high. 72ppi for web is quite fine. In fact its preferred for web use to minimize file size and by extension: website loading times. Good luck

• 1 year later...

Hey Guys

Sorry to bring up an old thread.

My local designer is not available.

The one I use far away is most likely busy building trails or riding his bike or working this weekend.

I need a "small" job doing on the fly. About 10 images reszing and then one or two images mixed into a website/facebook banner.

Anyone who can help out quick ?

Payment can be done in beers/coffee/warning points.

• 1 year later...

Anyone who can help out quick ?

Payment can be done in beers/coffee/warning points.

Since this thread was revived. 

Pay creatives in real money. "Exposure, beers, coffee etc" doesn't put a roof over our heads or pay for our equipment etc. 

Do you get paid in kind for your day job?