Sram Guide vs SLX M675

Berg Man

So I bought a set of M675 SLX brakes after reading rave reviews about them. I have been very impressed with them, they are easy to use, have great stopping power and fit well with my XT 1x11 setup.

I have the option to pt on some Sram Guide RS brakes. Why? Because I can.

I ride mostly enduro type riding, so a lot of downhill and technical type stuff. I am led to believe the Guides have better feel/modulation to them and they are just as powerful as the SLX. The main difference is the brake fluid being used between the 2. My main reason for considering the change is heat build up and brake fade when things get hot.

Does anyone here have experience with these 2 setups and can comment on which is the better for enduro?

SLX is fine for enduro, and has more than enough stopping power with the right size rotors (200mm front for us big boys)

The guides, however, have a far better lever feel and better modulation (power control) in my opinion. They're also more powerful (4 pot vs 2) and due to the higher piston count, have better heat management properties. 

DOT fluid is also absolutely fine for use in brakes. If millions of cars use it without hassle, then why not bikes? Only thing is that you'll have to rinse any spills up if you don't want paint to peel. Personally I haven't had that issue in all my years of using dot fluid, though. 

If you're struggling with heat build up, and you have 180mm rotors, increase the size to 200mm / 203mm and that will give you more power and better heat management. 

Thanks for the feedback. It was kind of what I was thinking anyway, but it's good to have some real world feedback.

Now all I have to do is get the bar mounting correct so I can run the Guides bar mount on the left of the Shimano 1x11 trigger. Hmmmmm.......

You'd have better luck on an Israel vs Palestine thread.

My vote is Guides though. More maintenance, but worth it.

I just lost interest in this thread...

Dunno hey. I'd rather bleed my brakes every 6 months than have to throw them in the bin when they fail.

ok maybe but I've ridden with SLX (and lower) for years and never had an issue.

Why do the fail as a matter of interest?

ok maybe but I've ridden with SLX (and lower) for years and never had an issue.

Why do the fail as a matter of interest?

Usually the lever pistons bind and you can't get spares. New lever is the only option, if you can get one.

There's a bodge fix that works most of the time, but I'd far rather have spare seals available for when things go south.

Usually the lever pistons bind and you can't get spares. New lever is the only option, if you can get one.

There's a bodge fix that works most of the time, but I'd far rather have spare seals available for when things go south.

have you had this with SLX as well?

i've only experience them with XT, the SLX on my commuter went 3-4 years no issues

SLX will stop a charging bull, but have no control - they on or off.

Guides have enough stopping power, but also allows you to modulate that power, and you get better lever feedback - lekker for feathering the back brake when you doing wheelies and manuals  :thumbup:

have you had this with SLX as well?

i've only experience them with XT, the SLX on my commuter went 3-4 years no issues

The design is almost identical, so I imagine it'll happen to both. It happens to a much smaller percentage of Shimano than Guide, but with the Guides it's either a warranty or a reasonably simple rebuild. Shimano you replace the whole lever.

Shimano does not sells spares as it is not necessary. Never had problems with ANY Shimano brakes. I have had problems with all my Avids/SRAM. 

Bernard Kerr did this stoppie with Shimano Saint brakes. They supposedly have no modulation whatsoever.

Shimano does not sells spares as it is not necessary. Never had problems with ANY Shimano brakes. I have had problems with all my Avids/SRAM. 

Bernard Kerr did this stoppie with Shimano Saint brakes. They supposedly have no modulation whatsoever.

And I just had Sram / Avid on my bikes, never had any major issues (from Juicy Three's, all the way to Elixer R's and XX's) Only had to do one rebuild on my original Juicy Three's, and that was after a lot of abuse, and it was as good as new again afterwards.

A set of Shimano's would have to be binned.....

Edited by Wannabe