Chapman's Peak Drive resurfacing

buchanan

Used to be that a good 'tuck 'n roll' would be an ok recovery if you stubbed their cateye when running.

New surface will require elbow and knee pads.....

Entilini have always begrudgingly tolerated cyclists - they felt at the time of getting their concession/ tender that everyone should pay them

.....same goes for those pesky locals who like to picnic there and watch the sun set for free

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chappie Roubaix? 

Sorry. Couldn't help it. 

Is it almost as rough as cobbles? If yes then maybe we can classify the cape town tour as a classic/monument [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Time for a gravel grinder?? I feel an N+1 fever coming on....

Tye responsible thing would be to ensure that the fever doesn't run to high. Nest you treat it with one prescription of gravel grinder and if it persists contact your pharmacist for some carbon wheel treatment on another bike.

Hitting the deck is never fun, but this is next-level stuff.... best avoid that then...

I suspect this surface is safer from a car perspective... better drainage and better grip.

at least it's still free and arguably the safest road to ride.

From Facebook:

f5fba5b283755210182a4d563982e29a.jpg

finally, a piksha - bliksem...that looks like it's been scattered over the surface!

Forking hell. Will lose a lot of skin if you happen to go down on that.

And traction will be compromised on such a surface, making it a bit more dangerous to ride on.

I (and others in this thread) don't think the re surfacing was necessary in the first place, Chappies could have gone without.

If climate change is the concern, then not surfacing with bitumen at all is the answer, not the use of an alleged Eco friendly bitumen as what you are implying.

are you a civil engineer? just wondering what level of knowledge you and the others on this thread are using as a reference.

A couple of years back they resurfaced the main road in Durbanville like that, 2 months later it was smooth! Car tyres removed the stones in no time. If they loose, like cycling on marbles and puncture rate will be up! Was a very unsatisfying feeling on Saturday having to pedal down Chappies and not just flow through turns. Saying that... still way safer to cycle than in the winelands at present.

Tye responsible thing would be to ensure that the fever doesn't run to high. Nest you treat it with one prescription of gravel grinder and if it persists contact your pharmacist for some carbon wheel treatment on another bike.

'fraid that most treatment is ineffective, mostly placebo....will just have to suffer through it and if it eventually manifests into full-blown raging fever, will hit it with the only treatment that has worked for me...available from two companies...VISA and MASTERCARD......

I (and others in this thread) don't think the re surfacing was necessary in the first place, Chappies could have gone without.

If climate change is the concern, then not surfacing with bitumen at all is the answer, not the use of an alleged Eco friendly bitumen as what you are implying.

I hear you, but I would hazard a guess that you, much like me, are NOT informed as to the formalities involved. Speculating that there could be a resurfacing every X number of months clause in their safety clause contract? Maybe they were forced to resurface after the large rock falls damaged the integrity of the surface causing cracks, which potentially lead to cavities and create cave in's like on Tafelberg road?

This seems the most likely scenario to me... But what do I know. I'm just going to get my pitchfork and join the mob.. DOWN WITH CHAPPIES AND THE CONTRACTORS!!! DOWN WITH SAFETY AND DUE DILIGENCE!!!! 

From Facebook:

f5fba5b283755210182a4d563982e29a.jpg

Looks like they still need to spray a layer of slurry on the road.  This is how a tar road usually looks before they put the final layer of slurry on.  Is chappies open for motor vehicles?