Jonesy

Hi all

Looking at this particular watch as it has exactly what I'm looking for in a sports watch.

Would appreciate your comments on this device especially from those who currently own the same/similar model. I wish to use it mostly for cycling.

I know Garmin makes better products but they seem to be double or more in price.

All positive input will be highly appreciated. Thx

post-68506-0-06228700-1509634687_thumb.jpg

I have the runner 2 Cardio/music version and am happy to say I have no problems with it.

Basically it does what it says on the box well and, crucially for me, is really simple to use.

Thanks guys for your feedback. Good to hear of your positive experiences. I was mainly concerned about difficulties obtaining and maintaining GPS signal, as well as some people reporting very inaccurate hr readings....

From a previous thread I added:

The TomTom Spark is great and all, I use one, but here are the reasons I wont get one again:

I've had the watch for less than a year and I'm on my second strap already, first one started tearing just below the toggle button and the second one is already starting to tear again. Some online searching reveals this is a known issue and it happens a lot. 

When doing any sort of exercise where your wrist muscles/tendons flex the HR monitor can't pick up an accurate reading, for example, on the rowing machine in the gym my HR displays as 50bmp or when doing weights etc. I don't even sleep at 50pbm.

Again, this seems to be the norm with wrist based HR monitors. 

I use to for MTB, so when going down rough tracks at speed, it seems like the watch shakes too much to the point where the GPS can't be picked up anymore. When looking at the stats online afterwards you can see the signal lost and then a couple of seconds later being picked up again some distance down the track. But these are on rough tracks though. 

Overall its pretty good and should work perfectly for road riding etc. 

Next watch I am considering is the Suunto Spartan Trainer.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/170489-gps-watch/

I also have the runner 2 cardio, and find it great for tracking most workouts. I can't say that I've had problems with GPS signal, maybe if you travel far from your usual area and don't update the QuickGps thing from the app on your phone.

For cycling the average HR from the watch is very close to what I see from my chest strap (for road cycling I use a normal GPS on my handlebars too). Only for workouts like CrossFit where you use your forearms a lot, it is definitely not accurate. But then you can always connect the watch to a Bluetooth HR strap.

Have the same problem. Replace the strap multiple times and cost 400 every time. Other than that it's a good watch and for any issues TomTom replies in about a week which I think is good enough aftersale service for the price. I also like that it's not as bulky as the other watches so can be worn throughout the day

I have this exact watch and have not had any real issues yet. I really enjoy the watch. When i first started using it going down any rocky descents, if the watch is loose the heart rate shoots up but have since made the strap tighter when I ride and that seems to have sorted out the problem.

Wife is very happy with her TomTom Runner, but some club members also reported strap failures.

After sales service very good / excellent, but FWIW TomTom might be 're-positioning' their (sport) product line-up?

https://uk.reuters.com/article/brief-tomtom-makes-136-roles-redundant-o/brief-tomtom-makes-136-roles-redundant-of-which-57-in-the-netherlands-idUKFWN1MA07W

Edited by Pieter-za

I have the cardio 3 and it is a great watch. The only drawback for me is the battery life which is around 7 hours with cardio and GPS which is insufficient for when I do ironman. But I guess that’s my fault for not being fast enough.

Other than that it’s fantmastic for the price. Not had the strap tearing issue on any of my Tomtom watches over the years.

Can confirm the strap issues on both the Multisport Cardio and the wife's Runner 2 within 12months. I bought replacement straps on AliExpress for around R150 if you can wait 6-8 weeks. So i ordered some for spare as well.

Function wise, i have not had any issues with either. GPS distance stats are in line with my Garmin to within 200-300m on a 90km+ ride.

I have one of these which I've been using for running and cycling (mtb). It works well for both, but I have noticed inaccurate HR readings in the past. I fixed this by fitting the watch as tightly as possible when using the HR sensor.

If you plan on getting the one with music, I have experienced some connection issues between the watch and the bluetooth earphones when running, but I don't know whether that's the watch or the earphones. I use Awei earphones and not the Tomtom ones.

I've been using it for 6 months and have not had any strap related issues...yet.

Thanks all for your inputs. Was really great to hear your experiences /views. Seems like there aren't major functionality issues. Was waiting for the "avoid-at-all-costs" type of posts but there were none...lol. So I'll keep it high on my list. Thank you