Not above the Law

Mousea

Shocking how many "moblie reading" drivers are cyclist with "stay wider of the rider" stickers on the back or even a bike on the tow-bar. 

And then they are in branded vehicles with cycling branding.....least 3 companies come to mind right now. 

But it will never happen to them (driver) 

Names or it did not happen :whistling:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

once a cyclist gets a serious ground and pound after zapping the wrong guy, the word will spread and the rest will fall into line.

not before ALL the SJW on here want the guys head on a stick and cant understand what has driven the motorist to do this! 

The 1st response from anyone on our roads is aggression. 99% of the time

Go and tell someone politly that they are parked on an disabled bay and see what happens. Abuse within 1 millisecond.

So I believe that the motorists were NOT triggered, it is just the normal SA response. 

Motorist does something wrong and you hoot / or tell them it is not cool. you WILL be met with abuse.

And I can show you footage of this for hours from my dashcam and cyclingcam. 

Atack is the 1 response.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Quagga

Names or it did not happen :whistling:

Haha, then I am up for "naming and shaming" 

I asked a while ago if we should maybe starting doing this....naming and shaming fellow cyclist that acts like idiots.

Guys, as much as I am for cycling safety... comparing a horse drawn cart or tractor who is just trying to get by with a bunch of middle age upper income fat men riding their bikes as a hobby, is going to draw different emotions from people.

If you can't see how that will ilicit a different response then you are missing half the issue.

Follow cars are cool, as long as they don't act like knobheads! Try to see the bigger picture for once.

Agreed

Wait, there is nothing illegal about having a following vehicle. This is not what the OP said!

Then, just the blocking of intersections  and then hurling abuse when being told they were not allowed to block an intersection?

I dont think any of the animosity really comes from these kinds of encounters. The okes that plough into bunch of cyclists dont care about cyclists, they just drunk. 

Have a look here, this lady was too busy on her phone and didnt see the cyclist. If he had a back up car this would not have happened... 

The title says not above the LAW> Then in original post says that the following vehicle was illegally driving and making it hard for legal road users to pass. 

Would have been better to say, xyz cycling bunch were being knobs. 

The 1st response from anoyone on our roads is aggression. 99% of the time

Go and tell someone politly that they are parked on an disabled bay and see what happens. Abuse within 1 millisecond.

So I believe that the motorist were NOT triggered, it is just the normal SA response. 

Motorist does something wrong and you hoot / or tell them it is not cool. you WILL be met with abuse.

And I can show you footage of this for hours from my dashcam and cyclingcam. 

Acctack is the 1 response.

I agree with you.

But it is this same BS behavior that ends up causing all the friction.

Was talking to a mate that moved down under, also a cyclist.

None of this over there as there road rules are policed correctly and harshly.

Here in SA the bigger your attitude and the more of a bully you are you THINK you will get away with *** behavior.....

Not on my watch

The roadies that were cycling in KZN Merrivale area over the weekend.......

Your convoy of support vehicles is NOT above the law.

To block the road and hurl abuse at other LEGAL road users is not on.

I hope your back up vehicle suffered numerous flat tyres

I get hit up about this every year at two times of the year: always before Argus and before 94.7. 

This is when the guys out training (often noobs or corporates) decide to get a follow car aka wife/company bakkie and driver behind them on their training ride (because cycling is dangerous you know) and they block the left lane with hazard flashers on etc. to protect their crew. even dishing out drinks on the fly during the last training rides of the "team" who are doing the race.

The fact that they are basically compromising other riders as well as cars by forcing them wide of the riders and making it difficult to overtake the cyclists or group (who now feel free to spread out) doesn't seem to appear as an issue?

Seen as though we are a lawless nation why give a hoot about motorists? Lets just piss them off more by creating a moving roadblock on narrow roads. And force them in to oncoming traffic when the bunch of cyclists slows down to a crawl on a climb. That or stay behind at 11 kmh. I find this does wonders for motorist/cyclist relations. 

There were two of these convoys on the way to and in the cradle last weekend. Often with young riders with a concerned dad or mom in an SUV or MPV behind. And always aware of threats and willing to use their vehicle as a defensive weapon should anyone threaten their precious riders whom are in danger from attack from behind....

I posted about this a couple of years ago. and had 2 x fathers who were indignant about my even mentioning this as they saw no harm in driving behind their family on narrow roads like this when they are out training with their clubs/families etc.

After all, as they were so quick to point out, the taxis are all driven by madmen so they are within their rights to protect their precious cargo like they wanted to. 

Listen - i get the clubs and bunches and their guys are often much more aware and experienced and they tend to watch their mirrors and not use their vehicles as defensive weapons. Also they tend to go on club rides where their is space. I like the idea myself when i am in a bunch.

I just dont get the amateurs who think that they are special and need a team vehicle behind them to protect them from the rear, and pass out drinks and encouragement etc.

Moving OT a bit and giving my 2 cents worth (getting old and grumpy i think):

If you ride like a normal person, ride defensively and are aware then bikes can co-exist with vehicles on any Sunday ride. Its the pack mentality that really creates havoc, the desire to band together for safety in numbers, which is counter intuitively what makes it more dangerous for both motorists and cyclists.

Why don't cyclists get it that if they are easy to pass they will be easily passed? And if they are visible and easy to pass then even better, they will get passed with respect.

Finally - given that i am as a motorist at risk of a head on accident whilst passing a big cycling group in a dodgy or blind rise attempt to get past a very slow group on a  climb (even if illegal), then i would quickly swing back into the cyclists and mow them down rather than risk killing myself in a head on. Its called self preservation. I am in a big steel shell and am protected pretty well from any damage i cause, In any accident of this nature the most i will have is a dent to the car when cyclists will be ex cyclists... 

Think defensively and you will be amazed how you start making decisions...

Guys, as much as I am for cycling safety... comparing a horse drawn cart or tractor who is just trying to get by with a bunch of middle age upper income fat men riding their bikes as a hobby, is going to draw different emotions from people.

If you can't see how that will ilicit a different response then you are missing half the issue.

Follow cars are cool, as long as they don't act like knobheads! Try to see the bigger picture for once.

there we go.

I just dont get the amateurs who think that they are special and need a team vehicle behind them to protect them from the rear, and pass out drinks and encouragement etc.

Paul I WISH AG reads your complete post !!!

Surely they are NOT a "bunch of amateurs" .... though a vehicle carrying their branding clearly drove exactly like that on Saturday !!

And adding some blind bends the risks of a driver abruptly swerving back into the bunch now riding well over the yellow line was a very real possibility.....

Why is it illegal for a back up vehicle? I pass cars crawling along the whole time, never seen a cop pull them over. 

It may be frustrating but they probably dont like being dead. I know there are okes that do it in the south as well, they do it for safety from cars and hi jackers. Yes its a pain but its hard to argue with stats.

Mousea is not saying its illegal to have a back up vehicle....he's saying it illegal to block/stop  traffic at intersections if its NOT a sanctioned event. Does that make sense now ?

Guys, we live in an age of social media and modern technology.

Go on Strava and movescount, chances are you will be able to track the cyclists in question down, send them a polite email and try educate them atleast.

Does a polite hoot sound any different than an angry or annoyed hoot?

;)

It's a quick soft hoot :-)

But do you hurl abuse at the tractor driver traveling at 30 km/h, who is effectively blocking you? 

All the tractor drivers I have met along the roads stick as much to the left as possible so that they are easy to pass.

Wait, there is nothing illegal about having a following vehicle. Then, just the blocking of intersections and then hurling abuse when being told they were not allowed to block an intersection? Agreed - douches for doing that.

I dont think any of the animosity really comes from these kinds of encounters. The okes that plough into bunch of cyclists dont care about cyclists, they just drunk. 

Have a look here, this lady female was too busy on her phone and didnt see the cyclist. If he had a back up car this would not have happened... 

f09d933ca3e708f342fee3a059868b5a.jpg

Fixed it.

Were there any distinguishing markings on the vehicle or kit being worn?

I think I might have spotted the same bunch a few months back passing the shell garage in Merrivale.

We did this kind of thing plenty while riding motor cycles in joint club rides or mass rides...there would be a few bikes who would keep ahead of the big bunch and block side roads and intersections...the reason we did it was to prevent a vehicle from getting stuck in the middle of the bikes which would become a hazard for both the motorist and bikes...cant say we ever had any issues with motorists...never had a complaint either.

it seems motorist have lots of issue with cyclists.