What is the enjoyment of the different cycling disciplines

LeoKnight

So I have been wondering and looking on the hub, but did not find a place where the conversation was around the enjoyment of the different cycling disciplines.  There is lots of comments and jokes between the disciplines, but I am more curious on what the attraction is of the different one.  For example road cycling, what is it about it that appeals so much to all the roadies, is it the speed, the reliance of the group / pelaton, the distance covered, the constant smashing it on the road with few "easy" km.  

But I realised there are a number of disciplines and each must have their own unique selling points (and would hope the conversations stays with the positives of each and not why the one is better than the other (for that I can watch the rap battle again

)

Track (Sprint / Endurance)

Road (Single-day bicycle race / Time trial / Stage races / Ultramarathon)

Cyclo-cross

MTB (XC / All-mountain/Enduro / Downhill / Dirt Jumping / Trail riding / Marathon / etc.) 

For me in short

Track: all out, balls out sprint till you puke. One big interval session.

Road: I love the stealth, zipping along feeling of a road bike. I also quite enjoy the tactical side of road racing where you have to work in your bunch, but manage it to work where it makes most sense to you, pace yourself, etc. Riding is done at speed and descending a pass on a road bike is much fun.

Cyclo: never done a cycle cross event. 

MTB

XC - love lap racing. Learn the lines, where to push and where to take it easy and build up some vooma again. There's also a bit of cat and mouse if you're racing fellow riders who are stronger than you in some sections and slower in others.

AM - Love me some big days out carving trails. Not doing it often enough these days, but ALL MOUNTAIN is where riding is at for me. Get on your bike, ride whatever comes your way. Kinda blurs trail riding for me.

DJ - Tried it a couple of times. Need to to give it a go again.

Downhill as in proper downhill? Need to toughen up first! But I've ridden several DH lines on my AM bike and just skip the really big sections

Marathon - no real interest

You forgot: Gravel grinding. Not big on endless k's for the sake of, but I enjoy being out on my bike. Whether that is exploring trails or spinning out backroads. Won't to this often, but on the odd occasion that I have I have enjoyed it. 

Must say I love riding. Just about all forms as long as its on a bike. A day spent in Jonkers exploring trails is good for the soul. 

That's it, I'm going riding...

Road. I love the distance you can put in. I love that I can open the garage and just ride. Love how it's opened up a whole lot of new experiences around CT for me. Like the gadjety side of it. Cadence, GPS's etc. And a sexy roadie bike is so hot!

AM. Riding with mates.

DH. The bikes are another world. I love bike parky stuff on my big bike. The helmets are sick

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Recreational: Just being out there on your bike whether it's with mates, kids, wife or just on your own. 

I've tried DH, Marathon, Trail and Road and while at the time it was great. at the moment I have no interest in any of them.

As long as I am enjoying myself and having fun, it is good. At the moment every ride is an adventure because there is not set route to follow. I make a call or two and ask if anybody is keen to ride and if not them I go solo.

For the first time in a long time I can't wait for the next ride  :thumbup:

Road - Bunch tactics all the way.

I like pitting myself against other riders and knowing that it's not just the strongest rider that will win. You have to be savvy and play the game well to get the results. :)

On the rap battle video - it saddens me that the roadie is not wearing properly tight fitting clothing :P

My 2c...............

Road :

Enjoy being able to do long distances ( 100 km plus ) on a club ride with like minded people, not racing but enjoying the scenery and the whole endurance of it. The quietness out in the country and just listening to the gentle road noise and sweet rolling of your machine, sometimes interrupted by loud breathing........or motorised things.

The road races are fun and fast, keeping up in the bunches and doing your bit can be very rewarding if you achieve your goals..........

MTB :

Great to be outdoors in the bush and appreciating nature, at the same time getting a good work out.

More recreational but sometimes can be a little competitive for bragging rights.Stage racing is an absolute adventure imo...........

Road, MTB and dabbled a bit with Track. I enjoy both MTB and road although when it comes to races my road results are better. Track was invented by the devil. 

So I have been wondering and looking on the hub, but did not find a place where the conversation was around the enjoyment of the different cycling disciplines.  There is lots of comments and jokes between the disciplines, but I am more curious on what the attraction is of the different one.  For example road cycling, what is it about it that appeals so much to all the roadies, is it the speed, the reliance of the group / pelaton, the distance covered, the constant smashing it on the road with few "easy" km.  

But I realised there are a number of disciplines and each must have their own unique selling points (and would hope the conversations stays with the positives of each and not why the one is better than the other (for that I can watch the rap battle again

)

Track (Sprint / Endurance)

Road (Single-day bicycle race / Time trial / Stage races / Ultramarathon)

Cyclo-cross

MTB (XC / All-mountain/Enduro / Downhill / Dirt Jumping / Trail riding / Marathon / etc.) 

BMX (Race, Freestyle)

4X

Forgot some.

I can like to ride my bicycle...  :clap:

Road: I like the sense of speed and the consistency of long sustained efforts and the sound of wind in my ears.

MTB: I like getting off the roads and seeing nature and wildlife that often gets spooked by people, but not a bike.

Riding my bike is almost certainly the best part of any of my days. I hope to be able to do it to the end of my days.

Road: like the silence of the bike, the sometimes effortlessness.

MTB: So you can go drink beer with your MTB friends

Cyclocross: road but on brown stuff.

This is from my perspective

ROAD is my 1st love

Love just putting in the kms without too much concentration.

I can ride along a road paying attention to what's going on and solving the world's problems at the same time.

The speed is great but I don't like descents, especially technical ones. 

MTB

Don't do too much MTB but it seems like every time I get on the MTB I fall. I hate falling.

Then I have to wash the bike after every ride

Some of the scenery is great though.

Road: like the silence of the bike

You mean, roadies actually pay attention to the noise of their bikes? When did this start happening?  :whistling:  :mellow:

You mean, roadies actually pay attention to the noise of their bikes? When did this start happening?  :whistling:  :mellow:

Thought it was all about how much sound is made by the carbon on carbon parts

Not sure, never heard a thing :P

This is from my perspective

ROAD is my 1st love

Love just putting in the kms without too much concentration.

I can ride along a road paying attention to what's going on and solving the world's problems at the same time.

The speed is great but I don't like descents, especially technical ones. 

MTB

Don't do too much MTB but it seems like every time I get on the MTB I fall. I hate falling.

Then I have to wash the bike after every ride

Some of the scenery is great though.

Agreed, at one stage I had a 100% record of falling on MTB. Only on last stage of an event did I not fall.Meh