Greyton road riding advice needed

lukeram

Hey Hubbers

So I have managed to wind up in Greyton sans mtb and with my road bike. Hoping for some advice on where I can go as want to avoid gravel grinding as much as possible.

Ive plotted out out a route that spends some time on the N2 as it looks like theres a nice climb near botrivier that id like to hit. (is this a bad idea...?)

Here is the route so please go wild, rip it up and suggest alternatives - Im all ears!

https://www.strava.com/routes/11122265

TIA

Luke

I honestly don't think riding long stretches on the N2 on your own is a great idea, at the very least not for the faint hearted - although I see on the strava segments you attach there are a few brave souls who do it.

I honestly don't think riding long stretches on the N2 on your own is a great idea, at the very least not for the faint hearted - although I see on the strava segments you attach there are a few brave souls who do it.

True story. Yeah Im not too keen on it and out and back rides suck generally, however want to get some distance in...

Edited by lukeram

go helderstroom villersdorp franshoek way instead( theres climbs)

that N2 has to many blind rises with yellow driving crazies on it

Edited by bikebloke

True story. Yeah Im not too keen on it and out and back rides suck generally, however want to get some distance in...

I would ride to Caledon and then take the R316 in the direction of Bredasdorp, should be less busy than the N2. Though I havent cycled that road myself - maybe other hubbers will know better if it is safe

Rather take the R406 to Caledon and then do some riding on the R316. Its a relatively quiet road and the rollers will provide a good workout.

Edit: The R316 also has a decent shoulder IIRC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by GLuvsMtb

You can go from Greyton to Caledon and then to Hermanus via Hemel en Aarde valley, about 150km out and back. We ride the N2 stretch from Caledon to Botrivier on the odd occasion as part of a loop from Hermanus through the valley, past Botrivier and R43/Karwydersroad back to Hermanus, but usually in a group. I myself not crazy about it, it is the N2 and cars are doing hi speeds. Pity you don’t want to do gravel as the possibilities are endless around Greyton.

Yeah I’m kicking myself for not bringing the cross bike as it would have been perfect. I’ll try put together a route along the lines suggested. Cheers everyone!

cool. I think day one 1 will be caledon -> R320 (Hemel e Aarde) and then day 2 will be Caledon -> R316.

Thanks very much for the feedback!

cool. I think day one 1 will be caledon -> R320 (Hemel e Aarde) and then day 2 will be Caledon -> R316.

Thanks very much for the feedback!

The Caledon R320 (Hemel e Aarde) was part of the Audax 300km route. With a strong headwind and the km already in our legs I found it a quite a challenging stretch. ????