Do shoes differ in sole thickness

FirstV8

I set  my Mtb up using my road Look pedals and Look shoes from the 80's .I now have a pair of Capestorm shoes with Shimano pedals . I rode 30km yesterday and 20km today and felt a slight uneasy twinge in my right knee . Could this be because the sole is thicker and i now need to higher my saddle by a few millimeter to compensate for this . Ill try and mic the sole thickness difference and report back . I must say that the shoes and pedals give a comfortable ride . 

Short answer, YES!

What he said ^^

New shoes will usually require adjustments to saddle position.

With the changes made to any contact points on the bike ( especially on the pedals ) you need to have a bike re-fitment........................

I measured the the difference and it was 7mm. Raised the saddle 7mm and also moved the cleats 5mm further back . I could feel the difference on my ride this morning , i had a lot more power on the hills . No twinge in the knee either . Someone suggested a "bike fit " which i think is good for novices . Once you have had it done by the pros you still need to fine tune that fitment by riding and experimenting with small adjustments . I have 30 years of road racing experience so know the aches and pains and what can be done to remedy them . With my road bike i kept measurements and marks of my bikes settings drawn against my garage wall . This made it easy to replace parts like stems , seat pillar , cranks , handle bars and even how deep the back wheel slid into the back stay .