Ladies road bikes

Pure Savage

Hi hub, 

My mother got hit and wrote her bike off over the weekend. 

She is now looking for a new bike, she wanted to put some extra dosh in and get something like the Synapse ladies High mod or Liv Langana Pro. Unfortunately the manufacturers dont bring in female bikes like this. 

So was thinking, just got for the Liv Langma Adv 1 and replace the wheels with 38mm carbon clinchers? Will only be Ultegra but should be fine. 

Just find it strange its hard to find top of the range ladies bikes. 

Probably just not demand? 

Spez dropped the whole 'ladies bikes' thing IIRC. They said through countless body geometry fittings they haven't found significant enough differences to make changes to the bikes.

Hi hub, 

She is now looking for a new bike, she wanted to put some extra dosh in and get something like the Synapse ladies High mod or Liv Langana Pro. Unfortunately the manufacturers dont bring in female bikes like this. 

So was thinking, just got for the Liv Langma Adv 1 and replace the wheels with 38mm carbon clinchers? Will only be Ultegra but should be fine. 

Why not go for a men's model? If you dig deeper in many cases the geo is identical and depending on her height/ size component specs should be fine. Thinking long term the resale is often higher on men's models due to the higher demand

Why not go for a men's model? If you dig deeper in many cases the geo is identical and depending on her height/ size component specs should be fine. Thinking long term the resale is often higher on men's models due to the higher demand

PS. I hope she is ok after the crash!

Hi hub, 

Yip, it's a struggle. I'm really short and just don't fit a men's model. I don't even fit some of the ladies bikes. The ones where they don't change the geometry can't get small enough for me. 

I can't actually help though, only commiserate.

I have a Focus Izalco Donna and I love it! I have seen a few for sale secondhand or old stock. They actually change the geometry on their range and make some adjustments on stiffness etc.

Good luck. Let us know what she decides on.

Hi hub, 

I have the S-Works Amira and absolute love it.  Best bike I have ever ridden.  I don't know if that's because it is a ladies specific model and it fits me like a glove, or because of the sparkly paint.  I do notice a definite difference in my Amira over my Giant TCR and am much more comfy on the Amira.

However, that said - the geometry often is the same on many models - I tried out the new diverge a few weeks ago, and the geometry of the "ladies" and "mens" frame is identical. The difference that I can feel between my Amira and TCR is probably just due to the Spez geometry suiting me better.

If you do your research, you should be able to find a "mens" frame that will be right for her.  But if she is set on a ladies' bike, I would support that decision 100% (especially if the manufacturer makes a ladies version!!)  In my experience, my ladies' bike fits me like a glove and I wouldn't change her for anything :) 

I really hope your mom is doing well and not too shaken up!!

One of the best ladies specific bikes out there is without a doubt the Trek Silque Women's Specific Design (WSD) range.

My wife has tried a whole host of bikes before finding the Silque SL, and has vowed to never ride another brand / bike again.

Looked into the differences of mens vs ladies bike, and the differences were so slight, I believe it's more of a marketing gimmick. I love the paint work on the ladies bikes, but decided that it may be too difficult to sell when I want to upgrade. 

I am however quite tall for a female (181cm) and my fitter had a tricky time setting up my bike as I have very long legs, but a shorter torso. 

I would recommend taking her to get measured properly to a specific bike brand. Apparently my measurements better suit QR or Trek because reach is shorter than, say, a Cervelo. 

Shot for insight, I got my female friend from work a bike recently and because she was tall the male M fitted her well.

Think my mom is a 48/50, also the narrower bars and skinnier drop makes it easier for handling. The Liv fits her well like the ladies synapse as she has shorter arms vs men, so does not need a 40mm stem.

Will check out the trek and also the cervelo as Ash rides one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the S-Works Amira and absolute love it.  Best bike I have ever ridden.  I don't know if that's because it is a ladies specific model and it fits me like a glove, or because of the sparkly paint.  I do notice a definite difference in my Amira over my Giant TCR and am much more comfy on the Amira.

However, that said - the geometry often is the same on many models - I tried out the new diverge a few weeks ago, and the geometry of the "ladies" and "mens" frame is identical. The difference that I can feel between my Amira and TCR is probably just due to the Spez geometry suiting me better.

If you do your research, you should be able to find a "mens" frame that will be right for her.  But if she is set on a ladies' bike, I would support that decision 100% (especially if the manufacturer makes a ladies version!!)  In my experience, my ladies' bike fits me like a glove and I wouldn't change her for anything :)

I really hope your mom is doing well and not too shaken up!!

what groupset does it have ?

Mrs Slowbee has tiagra on her road bike. The curve of the brake away from the grips makes it a tricky reach for her to bring the bike to a stop if her hands are on the hoods?

My campy veloce kind of "stick out" on the hoods so it is easy for her to come to a stop using my bike. No, she is not getting my bike. There have to be some boundaries in a relationship.

Sorry to here Savage. Out of interest, how tall is your Mom?

The idea behind women's specific bikes is that females have longer legs/shorter torso's than men of the same height.

That means shortish top tubes and tall headtubes to place the bars comfortably in relation to the saddle.

Narrower bars and lady's saddles are obvious, but the condescending pink paint jobs do put a lot of women off. that and the fact the many brands don't have high end ladies bikes, so the serious women end up on mens' frames (and are probably just fine).

One does wonder if it is a marketing gimmick in the end, and if so, how successful is it?

That said, I bought my wife the Liv Avail Advanced  2 - she loves the paintjob and the bike is comfortable., but she doesn't realise how heavy it is.Avail-Advanced-2-Pearl-White.jpg

I would really like to upgrade her to the Liv Langma Advanced 1 when that comes out, but my bikes need upgrading first  :whistling:

This looks really good with the new Ultegra, but could do with a wheel upgrade (Chinese carbon or AC Classic Argent tubeless)

Langma-Advanced-1_Color-A_Black.jpg

Edited by splat